Throttle Body Performance

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Starting this thread, since there is not one that is specific to the throttle body. There is lots of troubleshooting information with throttle body discussion, but nothing about its performance and possibly upgrading.

I was trolling around a few Ecotec sites and ran across a performance big bore throttle body for the LTG (Camaro/Cadillac) and was wondering if it could be an upgrade to the LNF (and LSJ?) throttle body for those with bigger HP engines? It looks to have an identical bolt pattern, the correct electrical connection, and physical appearance. It has a 64mm bore versus a 59mm bore of the LNF (and LSJ) and should flow at least 20% more air. If anyone has information about LTG to LNF/LSJ compatibility please drop it in here.

Do know that some are using the LS throttle body to upgrade (92mm?), believe this needs an adapter for the Ecotec manifold which necks down to the @65mm bore hole in the manifold?

Peregrinus

There's a bolt on upgraded throttle body already available, the ls4 tb, but from my reading it makes even a full-size cobalt very twitchy to drive, I can only imagine what it would be like for our goblins. But you might be able to play with the tune to tone it down, I know it's bolt on at least for the lsj motor, not sure about other motors?

I think this is what u mentioned at the end of your post.

Attachments

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
The LS4 requires an adapter plate for the stock LSJ blower, but bolts up directly to the TVS. I asked if it’d work on the intro turbo kit to ZZP and they said it wouldn’t (I’m assuming the adapter plate is sized for the smaller TB opening). It might be worth while to have it machined bigger if possible for the LS4 once all mods are said and done.

Stock TB is 67.4mm and the LS4 is 75mm.

The LE5 TB is used by ZZP with the complete turbo swap for the LSJ because of the Saab intake manifold they use and they state the LSJ TB doesn’t bolt up the the Saab intake, leading me to believe the LS4 TB won’t work for the LE5 engine or 2.2L engine (L61?).

Peregrinus

The LS4 requires an adapter plate for the stock LSJ blower, but bolts up directly to the TVS. I asked if it’d work on the intro turbo kit to ZZP and they said it wouldn’t (I’m assuming the adapter plate is sized for the smaller TB opening). It might be worth while to have it machined bigger if possible for the LS4 once all mods are said and done.

The LE5 TB is used by ZZP with the complete turbo swap for the LSJ because of the Saab intake manifold they use and they state the LSJ TB doesn’t bolt up the the Saab intake, leading me to believe the LS4 TB won’t work for the LE5 engine or 2.2L engine (L61?).
Ah okay, I am going tvs so that's why i thoght it was bolt on. Thanks for the information! Hopefully you. Guys can find an upgrade!

Tinkles

To clarify the M62, TVS, and LS4 TB all have the same bolt patterns so they will bolt to each other. It is just the inner diameter of the LS4 TB and M62 that isn't ideal.

CBM makes a LS1/Vortec to M62 TB adapter. I have also found a LS2/LS3 TB to LS4 TB adapter so you can run a LS2/LS3 style TB on your M62/TVS, I just forget where I found it. I plan on going this route just so I can run a cable driven LS2 throttle body so it looks cleaner than the 3 bolt LS1 TB.

Wackstack

I did the switch from the stock to the LS4 throttle body with an adapter plate from ZZP. With tuning, the throttle response is out of this world better. With my setup anyway.

KLMOTORSPORTS

I run a ported blower and ported head from Josh Billheimer (Cat V Port Worx on Facebook) with the LS4 TB (bolts right up w/ no adapter) and the throttle is incredible....night and day from stock. Mine is corn fed (E85) as well with 80’s....

A few mods can instantly wake these engines up to almost a scary state...

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
We have to be very careful about the platforms we're talking about when it comes to TB's - LNF vs LSJ vs LT are all very different animals. In general, for LNF's it's not worth it.

Matt M = ZZP's tuner

Wackstack

We have to be very careful about the platforms we're talking about when it comes to TB's - LNF vs LSJ vs LT are all very different animals. In general, for LNF's it's not worth it.

Matt M = ZZP's tuner
Completely agree. I should of said I'm running a 2.2 LSJ on my goblin.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I'm curious how you have a 2.2L LSJ, since a LSJ is a 2.0L engine. Did you bore it? Stroke it? Both?

Wackstack

I'm curious how you have a 2.2L LSJ, since a LSJ is a 2.0L engine. Did you bore it? Stroke it? Both?
Lol. Good catch. Problem between brain and fingers. I've run it both on an LSJ and L61. L61 is what is currenly in the goblin. LSJ is in my '10 SS cobalt (future goblin) and LNF in the '07 Solstice GXP.

HOBGOBLIN

I have gone to a LS4 TB on a OTTP intake manifold on a LSJ and I am still having a bit of trouble getting the throttle response to calm down a bit lol

TheNuker

Goblin Guru
Just as an update, OTTP said the head flange is different as well as the throttle body. BUT the good news is that they will be coming out with a version of that intake for the LNF this summer! Goodbye bullshit 180deg bend soon.

Nuker-