Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I did scuff it up before painting, and I used metal surface primer as well, but it turned out poorly anyway. I'll fix it. :)

Goblin Guru
That could be. Regardless, it's coming out and getting fixed. It's too much of a focal point on the interior of the car to let it like that. I'll likely just powder-coat it the same semi-gloss black as my fuel tank, windshield mount, etc.

Goblin Guru
Large-ish update today. I got several of my checklist items done that I said I wasn't going to do for a while, because I needed a break ... well, I guess I didn't need a break that bad, huh?

20210411_173353.jpg

White gauges and bluetooth audio system in. I had to take the cluster out and swap the guts into a new plastic shell anyway, so I added the white gauges. Also, I decided to take out the driver-side USB charger and use it for the bluetooth system, which left me one button on my dash that had no function ......

My wife made an off-the-cuff remark saying my new, extra-bright headlights are not bright enough to spot deer, so I installed a Deer Spotter 9000.

20210411_173406.jpg

Also installed the component speaker set I bought for the bluetooth system, by cutting holes in my footwell cover and using the 3d-printed brackets @Mayor West designed for me. I haven't tweaked the audio on my amp yet, and I haven't installed the rear speakers yet (I made a "miscalculation" and I need to source an EQ or something so I can get a rear channel ...), but all in good time. I didn't button up the wiring completely yet either, I've had enough for today.

20210411_173536.jpg

20210411_173524.jpg

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Large-ish update today. I got several of my checklist items done that I said I wasn't going to do for a while, because I needed a break ... well, I guess I didn't need a break that bad, huh?

View attachment 22667

White gauges and bluetooth audio system in. I had to take the cluster out and swap the guts into a new plastic shell anyway, so I added the white gauges. Also, I decided to take out the driver-side USB charger and use it for the bluetooth system, which left me one button on my dash that had no function ......

My wife made an off-the-cuff remark saying my new, extra-bright headlights are not bright enough to spot deer, so I installed a Deer Spotter 9000.

View attachment 22668

Also installed the component speaker set I bought for the bluetooth system, by cutting holes in my footwell cover and using the 3d-printed brackets @Mayor West designed for me. I haven't tweaked the audio on my amp yet, and I haven't installed the rear speakers yet (I made a "miscalculation" and I need to source an EQ or something so I can get a rear channel ...), but all in good time. I didn't button up the wiring completely yet either, I've had enough for today.

View attachment 22670

View attachment 22669
Deer spotter 9000 may give you a sunburn on the back of your neck......... ;)

Looking good, man!

jamesm

Goblin Guru
That's a cool idea for mounting the speakers. I'll be interested in knowing how they sound going down the road.

Is that polk crossover water/dust resistant? it's going to get a little road grime on it being between the hood and footwell cover.

Goblin Guru
I was thinking Ark would be catching his hair on fire with that 'see-you-from-space' Deer Spotter 9000. :eek::D
That's what I was going for!

That's a cool idea for mounting the speakers. I'll be interested in knowing how they sound going down the road.

Is that polk crossover water/dust resistant? it's going to get a little road grime on it being between the hood and footwell cover.
Thanks. Initial tests have been good, but that's without road noise as you point out. I need to tweak the gain on my amp but as soon as I do that (and get my plate) I'll do some road testing. The crossovers are not water/dust resistant, so I'll need to do some work there.

Goblin Guru
Naw they've come around to it, I guess since they've seen I won't act like an idiot, speeding and whatnot. But yeah, your point stands, plate + insurance = no trouble.

Last edited:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. I have a rule that I don’t act like an ass till I get out of the neighborhood. To be honest, since I have been driving it a bit, I don’t hot rod it much on the street. I save that for the track.

Goblin Guru
Yep, best to keep it in your pants until the time is right. I did get up to about 60 mph in my driving last night. Steering/alignment seem close, maybe small tweaking necessary. One of the headlight mounts cracked though, so I have to replace it before I can go out again. Trying polycarbonate this time. That turbo whoosh is intoxicating, though I can see why people want to build up for more power. I'm also not sure my boost gauge is working right, but that's a topic for another day.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Yep, best to keep it in your pants until the time is right. I did get up to about 60 mph in my driving last night. Steering/alignment seem close, maybe small tweaking necessary. One of the headlight mounts cracked though, so I have to replace it before I can go out again. Trying polycarbonate this time. That turbo whoosh is intoxicating, though I can see why people want to build up for more power. I'm also not sure my boost gauge is working right, but that's a topic for another day.
Just a tune will get you to 300 hp. But that is just the first step in this addiction....... :)

Goblin Guru
Just a tune will get you to 300 hp. But that is just the first step in this addiction....... :)
I'm going to get HP Tuners at some point and dabble. In the meantime, I'll learn what I can, but it's really intimidating. I'll be driving it as-is for at least this summer, anyway.