Jay’s Build Log- Track Goblin, extended #323, 07 SS SC

jayrolls

Engine harness day -1
Got all the tape and cable wrap removed from the engine harness. I think the a/c wires are the only thing that need to come out. Then I will be ready to re-wrap it.
Cut out the A/C clutch power wires, removed the pressure switch wires back to the connector just in case need for something later. Wrapped the remaining wires. Ordered some new wire loom and then the engine harness will be done.

Attachments

jayrolls

Main harness day - 1.
Set up a 4x8 sheet of OSB with some paper to keep from getting snags. Got the harness laid out, took a minute to get all of the old tape off. Got the process started. I was in the Navy as an Avionics Technician for 20 years and am not shy of wires, but dang there are so many wires. I feel like I am off to a good start. Hopefully will be ready to get the harness extended by the weekend

Attachments

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
Main harness day - 1.
Set up a 4x8 sheet of OSB with some paper to keep from getting snags. Got the harness laid out, took a minute to get all of the old tape off. Got the process started. I was in the Navy as an Avionics Technician for 20 years and am not shy of wires, but dang there are so many wires. I feel like I am off to a good start. Hopefully will be ready to get the harness extended by the weekend
At least your optimistic! Ive done alot of wiring in my day but still had over 40hrs in mine.

jayrolls

At least your optimistic! Ive done alot of wiring in my day but still had over 40hrs in mine.
I hope I stay optimistic. I’ve got about 2 1/2 hours so far. I think it too longer getting all the tape off then it has removing wires so far.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I think I have about 8hrs in my harness. It's pretty easy to do. Pre-planning and good prep work make it go quick.

jayrolls

Main harness day - 1.
Main harness day - 2
Steadily making progress. Main harness is thinned out. Started adding pieces back in. Got the headlight harness added using the wiring kit from DF. I’m not sure if I’m suppose to still splice the headlight plugs back on or if there will different plugs for the DF supplied lights. I feel like ground lug is not as long from the main harness as in the video. Hopefully won’t be a problem. Trying to keep the set up for the heated seats is throwing me off a little bit I think. That and I’m not sure how far from the BCM Wiring to the back of the tunnel, I think for the seat wiring it might be easier to come from the back of the tunnel.
I think I need an additional ground lug also, I don’t have a ground for the horn and there is a wire in the harness going to the BCM the needs a ground. I am going to start adding in the dash harness tomorrow. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

Attachments

Ross

Goblin Guru
That is the nicest soldering station I have seen! I need to add the wiring for heated seats back into my LSJ. There is a 20A fuse in the engine fuse box for labeled "HTD SEATS", so that is where I plan to pull power from. A red/white wire. B5 or C5... not sure which.

Last edited:

jayrolls

That is the nicest soldering station I have seen! I need to add the wiring for heated seats back into my LSJ. There is a 20A fuse in the engine fuse box for labeled "HTD SEATS", so that is where I plan to pull powers from. A red/white wire. B5 or C5... not sure which.

View attachment 24736
It’s honestly overkill for this project, but it’s what I had. Lol. Mine has the factory heated seats. So far I think I have it all in order. Tomorrow adding in the dash harness I should have a better idea hopefully. And will try to address how it will work.

jayrolls

Main harness day - 2
Steadily making progress. Main harness is thinned out. Started adding pieces back in. Got the headlight harness added using the wiring kit from DF. I’m not sure if I’m suppose to still splice the headlight plugs back on or if there will different plugs for the DF supplied lights. I feel like ground lug is not as long from the main harness as in the video. Hopefully won’t be a problem. Trying to keep the set up for the heated seats is throwing me off a little bit I think. That and I’m not sure how far from the BCM Wiring to the back of the tunnel, I think for the seat wiring it might be easier to come from the back of the tunnel.
I think I need an additional ground lug also, I don’t have a ground for the horn and there is a wire in the harness going to the BCM the needs a ground. I am going to start adding in the dash harness tomorrow. Hopefully that goes smoothly.
Main Harness day - 6 or 7, I have honestly lost count. I finished the last of it up last night and finished the taping today. I keep the dimmer, fog lights and the heated seats. Dimmer - wasn’t sure how bright the instrument panel will be at night. Fog lights, even if I don’t put fog lights on, I figure I could use that circuit for under glow lighting. The heated seats, well heck, it already had them so why not keep a function.
I am downloading files from ALLDATA to build a continuity check list. I would rather read out each pin to know it’s good, than to be chasing gremlins later.

Attachments

jayrolls

Engine prep Day -1
Took the engine outside and soaked it with degreaser and then hit it with the pressure washer. Separated the transmission and was able to get the engine on the stand. Looks like the trans has been out before and the clutch changed. The flywheel looks pretty good, need to check the measurements to make sure it’s got good meat. If it’s good plan to take it to a machine shop to get it surfaced. The degreaser made a big improvement.

Attachments

jayrolls

Engine prep Day -1
Took the engine outside and soaked it with degreaser and then hit it with the pressure washer. Separated the transmission and was able to get the engine on the stand. Looks like the trans has been out before and the clutch changed. The flywheel looks pretty good, need to check the measurements to make sure it’s got good meat. If it’s good plan to take it to a machine shop to get it surfaced. The degreaser made a big improvement.
Engine prep Day -2
Removed the thermostat housing and front cover. Started hitting the engine with a wire wheel. Starting to clean up pretty nice. I’m planning to run a remote oil cooler. Trying to figure out if I can get a thermostat cover the is not for the equipped for the factor oil cooler. Would look a lot cleaner with out having to loop the coolant lines that went to the oil cooler.

Attachments

jayrolls

Chop up day -1. Haven’t been able to get a recycler to take the donor without the title. Not tilling to give up the title in case I need it. So I figured I will just chop the donor into small pieces and get rid of it that way. Had been wanting a sawzall and now have a very good excuse for it. Highly recommend the Diablo Auto Dismantling blades.

Attachments

jayrolls

Chop up day -1. Haven’t been able to get a recycler to take the donor without the title. Not tilling to give up the title in case I need it. So I figured I will just chop the donor into small pieces and get rid of it that way. Had been wanting a sawzall and now have a very good excuse for it. Highly recommend the Diablo Auto Dismantling blades.
Chop day -2.
Made some more progress cutting down to small enough pieces to load up and take to scrap. 5 blades so far, making good progress.

Attachments