Brian's City Goblin-06/Crate MotorTC #61

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Solidworks.

2 years is about right with the number of knobs on the front of that machine!
I think I’m gonna have to set up a laptop in my garage and follow some youtube videos while I learn.

I envy you. I really need to become proficient in a mainstream 3D CAD program. I’ve spent a few days trying already... Its just so alien to me. Usually I’m pretty good at figuring stuff like that out.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
I think I’m gonna have to set up a laptop in my garage and follow some youtube videos while I learn.

I envy you. I really need to become proficient in a mainstream 3D CAD program. I’ve spent a few days trying already... Its just so alien to me. Usually I’m pretty good at figuring stuff like that out.
At my last job I trained our new drafters and engineers on solidworks, between YouTube, the tutorial built into solidworks and Google its not pretty easy to learn.

Between all the 3d modeling programs I've used over the years, solidworks, inventor, UG, pro/e (cero 2.0), bunch of others, I feel solidworks is one of the easier ones to learn, inventor is pretty much the same, just have to learn where the buttons are and what inventor calls the commands. Solidworks does frame weldments better but it's all what you get use to and use more often. If you start using solidworks id be happy to help.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
They're REALLY not a bad car. Nothing sophisticated, but competent enough for a good driving experience.
BUT when those pieces are built into a mid-engine street-legal (in most states....) go-kart, thrills ensue....

Brian74

Goblin Guru
They're REALLY not a bad car. Nothing sophisticated, but competent enough for a good driving experience.
BUT when those pieces are built into a mid-engine street-legal (in most states....) go-kart, thrills ensue....
Comfortable, quiet, cold A/C, 30+ mpg, and cheap, easy to find parts. No complaints whatsoever.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Comfortable, quiet, cold A/C, 30+ mpg, and cheap, easy to find parts. No complaints whatsoever.
Sounds like some emotional attachment happening here.
If you give it a name, you may not be able to bring yourself to tear it apart for the Goblin…….

:0

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Sounds like some emotional attachment happening here.
If you give it a name, you may not be able to bring yourself to tear it apart for the Goblin…….

:0
I already have a turbo donor I’m in the middle of building. This is a daily driver.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Haven’t checked in for awhile… Between summer, busy season at work, and side jobs; not much is going on with my ridiculously long build lately. My industrial band saw finally did show up.

Work will finally slow down at the end of Sept, which will be the about the same time this ridiculous summer heat comes down. I can’t wait to get back into the garage. I think I may install air conditioning by next summer.

BA83EAE0-3200-4C0E-B469-D94082B51EBB.jpeg

jamesm

Goblin Guru
All my buddies give me crap about having heat and AC in my shop until they need help with something...

Depending on the size of your shop, you can get a mini-split unit for very reasonable prices.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
All my buddies give me crap about having heat and AC in my shop until they need help with something...

Depending on the size of your shop, you can get a mini-split unit for very reasonable prices.
I’m debating on installing a mini split, although it would require an additional 220 drop to run a unit big enough. This garage is also not insulated. We may be moving across the country in 5 years when I retire from my current job, so still trying to determine if the mini split would be worth the investment, lol.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I was thinking on buying an old refer unit off a big rig trailer. Hang it on the wall of my hangar, attach diesel tank and bammmm. Freezer. :cool:

I put a mini split in my garage and love it! It is also a heat pump so i use it to heat the garage in the winter. It works great as long as i don't try and start it after its really hot in there. If i start it in the morning it does great at keeping it where i set it all day, just struggles to bring it down in temperature when its hot out. The heat will go from right around 36-45 degrees in the garage to 72 in about 30-45 minutes.

MJP61

I have a mini split in my garage. My garage is 630 sq feet, but the mini split was 100% worth every penny.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Well, I finally got a 3D printer. My first big project was to CAD design some snap in, adjustable courtesy light mounts for my side LED courtesy lamps.

I also wanted to integrate through slots for zip ties, in order to lock them into position. I was a bit skeptical on how they would turn out once printed. They ended up turning out perfect.

1C987BAE-5C63-4274-B359-080F30E7AADE.jpeg
4FA0D059-A5E0-482A-AFB0-82E6A9F48F4D.jpeg
9C1F1CC1-0CE3-46E0-8502-A87F95AEFE15.jpeg
9C1E3D6C-B9E1-4ADC-8C36-14C4527E21FF.jpeg

Rauq

Goblin Guru
What material did you print? I love how you integrated the zip tie channels, that's probably the cleanest application of a zip tie as I can imagine.