Toxik's Track Goblin - '06 SS/SC Donor # 351

Things are progressing nicely, but I have run into a few things and need some input.

I am working on the wire harness and near the end of DF Goblin Wiring Harness Guide Part 4 - Organizing the Main Harness, Pt. 1 He mentions that there should be a pink line for the coolant level. I have a pink wire there, but I had labeled it for the intercooler pump (which I realized later I don't see for an SC version) but I don't see one for the coolant level.

I also have 2 blue wires (one very long and the other is just a couple feet long) in the same area. One is supposed to be draped over the fuse box with the green wire at this point, but nothing is mentioned about the other blue wire. (nor do I know which of my blue wires is supposed to go with the green wire)

While thinking about the above, I was working on the intake manifold. When I got the car, the previous owner mentioned that he was afraid it was leaking, and boy was he right. When I took the SC off, there was a puddle of coolant in the bottom. I started to disassemble the intake manifold and found the cores to be damaged. They all appear to be damaged in the same way and the picture is of the worst one. (images below) Is this damage insignificant, or could this be causing the leak? If this needs replaced where can I find new cores. I haven't been able to find any online.

Thanks

Logan.

Attachments

jayrolls

Things are progressing nicely, but I have run into a few things and need some input.

I am working on the wire harness and near the end of DF Goblin Wiring Harness Guide Part 4 - Organizing the Main Harness, Pt. 1 He mentions that there should be a pink line for the coolant level. I have a pink wire there, but I had labeled it for the intercooler pump (which I realized later I don't see for an SC version) but I don't see one for the coolant level.

I also have 2 blue wires (one very long and the other is just a couple feet long) in the same area. One is supposed to be draped over the fuse box with the green wire at this point, but nothing is mentioned about the other blue wire. (nor do I know which of my blue wires is supposed to go with the green wire)

While thinking about the above, I was working on the intake manifold. When I got the car, the previous owner mentioned that he was afraid it was leaking, and boy was he right. When I took the SC off, there was a puddle of coolant in the bottom. I started to disassemble the intake manifold and found the cores to be damaged. They all appear to be damaged in the same way and the picture is of the worst one. (images below) Is this damage insignificant, or could this be causing the leak? If this needs replaced where can I find new cores. I haven't been able to find any online.

Thanks

Logan.
I thought I had this same question in my build log but don’t see it. The coolant wire should be green if I am not mistaken. The video says pink. Lonny confirmed that was an error. Your cores look like someone tried using pliers to pull them out, with the damage the o-rings aren’t going to seal correctly. The prongs you can get form ZZP or OTTP. You may have to look on FB Cobalt SS parts to find some Laminova cores or an intake. If you have to get an intake. Use a hose clamp on the end of the core and pull on the hose clamp to remove.

I am still working on the harness. In Part 6, at 1:23, I need to connect 3 ground wires to a new ground lug I just taped in. I don't see the fuse box ground here. Where does that wire come from. I would like to try to trace it back to see what I have done, but don't see it mentioned in any of the previous videos. I think I might have just trimmed it too short. (Video link for convenience if it helps.
)

Thanks

Well. The kit arrived, got shipped to powder coating, and has returned. I have gotten it in the shop and started on the floors. I have used rivnuts on the floors and so far everything seems to be going smoothly. I started working on the coolant hoses and realized I am not near strong enough to do it without the wench. It's on my shopping list next time I go to town.

Attachments

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Well. The kit arrived, got shipped to powder coating, and has returned. I have gotten it in the shop and started on the floors. I have used rivnuts on the floors and so far everything seems to be going smoothly. I started working on the coolant hoses and realized I am not near strong enough to do it without the wench. It's on my shopping list next time I go to town.
My wench isn't strong enough either, but if I call her that I'll be sleeping in the garage with my Goblin!!! :eek:o_O:p:D

Last edited:
My wrench isn't strong enough either, but if I call her that I'll be sleeping in the garage with my Goblin!!! :eek:o_O:p:D
haha. I should definitely re-read what I write before sending it to the internet. Hopefully my wench will pick up a winch on her way home... Maybe a heater for the shed too since I'll probably spend a few nights out there if she sees this.

Last edited:
It's been a while, but I'm trying to get back in the garage. I had some HVAC issues at my house, fixed those, sold the house, and moved to a new home last year.

I have been having trouble getting in contact with DF Kit Car to get my order. I reached out in October of 2022 to get my address updated and get my stage 2 (and 3) ordered. It seemed to take a very long time to get through the line and finally received an invoice in Jan 2023, but it had the wrong address on it. I reached out multiple times (over the course of about 3 weeks) before I finally heard back that they had the address fixed. I paid the invoice on 2/13 and haven't heard anything back. (Not that they received the payment, not when to expect the shipment, nothing more than the automated e-mail from quickbooks.) I reached out again on 3/12/23 to ask for an update on what was going on, but still (or again) haven't heard back.

Has anyone else had issues like this? I'm getting concerned about what is going on and if I will even be able to finish this project.

snirtman

Most of the comments on the forum about DF are glowing praise for DF and their excellent customer service. I'm trying to stay positive about DF, but my experience has been similar to yours. I received 98% of my kit a couple weeks ago (a couple items were on backorder). I realized I had forgotten to include an item with my kit order, so I called to inquire about it. I was told that my item was in stock and I should order it through the store, so I did. It's been a week and I still haven't received my item, so I called back to inquire about it. Found out that they never even processed the order. Also found out that one of my backordered items was now in stock, but they had no plan to ship it out. So now both parts are supposed to be shipped out "right away". We'll see.

Keep trying on the phone. When I call, the first attempt is never picked up and goes to Lonny's voicemail. I don't leave a voicemail, I call back a while later and someone will pick up.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Not sure if something's going on with DF, but, I recently ordered a brake prop kit and it was delivered to my door in PA 3 days later. Hopefully that is of some comfort.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I think people may mistake our praise of DF customer service that we are sure they will take care of any problem in the end with the customer service as being extremely efficient and quick. I don't think of good customer service when dealing with a very small company as orders are hassle free, delivered immediately, but instead confidence that in the end they will make it right. Maybe I'm just old enough to remember when taking a month to get something you ordered was the norm.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Call to confirm the address change. It may take a couple tries to get through, but don't give up. And the explanation from @Gtstorey is spot on - DF will make things right every time, but being a very small company it takes time for things to happen sometimes. :D

I think people may mistake our praise of DF customer service that we are sure they will take care of any problem in the end with the customer service as being extremely efficient and quick. I don't think of good customer service when dealing with a very small company as orders are hassle free, delivered immediately, but instead confidence that in the end they will make it right. Maybe I'm just old enough to remember when taking a month to get something you ordered was the norm.
I don't mind it taking a month (or 16 weeks for that matter) if I knew that it was being worked on. The original request was put in ~5 months ago. I will try to call. I did call once or twice and left a VM with no response, but didn't continue to try. If that has worked for others in the past, I will give that a shot. I'm happy to hear that others have confidence that it will be made right in the end.

Thanks for the guidance.

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
I don't mind it taking a month (or 16 weeks for that matter) if I knew that it was being worked on. The original request was put in ~5 months ago. I will try to call. I did call once or twice and left a VM with no response, but didn't continue to try. If that has worked for others in the past, I will give that a shot. I'm happy to hear that others have confidence that it will be made right in the end.

Thanks for the guidance.
They also go to lunch at noon cst each day and don’t answer the phone. So try calling either before noon cst or after 1:00

Metal Mech

I had similar getting them to get my stage two invoice ready. Took a while but they got to it. I even recieved a updated one yesterday when they noticed a note I had added and made adjustments. I am guessing things are just busy there.
What orange color did you choose?
Also how are the rivnuts for the floor doing? I love rivnuts and plan to use them for most things on this car, but for the floor I really can't see when I would want to remove the floor pan. I think my biggest worry is grinding down the bolt heads if I bottom out sometime.

Alright. I can confirm, they are very helpful via phone. I was able to talk to them and they had the items on their way by the end of the day.

I will let you know about the riv-nuts once I get a little further along. I'm afraid they might vibrate loose, but we'll see. So far so good