It's very loud

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Glad to know it isn't just me then. I put the old cast iron exhaust manifold on and it made no difference so it's not the ZZP header. It's just loud, very loud. I don't know if I should pack the pipe with steel wool or something. I wish I was a welder so I could build an exhaust with more length/bends and add some resonators to it. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune having someone do it for me.
Vibrant makes short resonators, maybe add one in the section below the muffler?

Dsteinhorst

You may benefit from downsizing to a 2" exhaust that DF sends with the N/A kits. I went from a 2" to a 3" and there was a HUGE increase in noise. I believe the forced induction donors got a 2.5"

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Meh. My bikes are loud (non Harley), but well toned like the goblin, so I’m use to the noise. My daily driver is quiet though.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Glad to know it isn't just me then. I put the old cast iron exhaust manifold on and it made no difference so it's not the ZZP header. It's just loud, very loud. I don't know if I should pack the pipe with steel wool or something. I wish I was a welder so I could build an exhaust with more length/bends and add some resonators to it. I'm sure it would cost a small fortune having someone do it for me.
@Rttoys might want to give you some advice about installing sound deadening material in your exhaust.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
How hard is it to get a quieter muffler?? There are dozens (conservative count, lol) to choose from that will fit.
I fail to see the issue here. Ecotecs are not unique in any way...

Fozda

Goblin Guru
How hard is it to get a quieter muffler?? There are dozens (conservative count, lol) to choose from that will fit.
I fail to see the issue here. Ecotecs are not unique in any way...
Ecotecs might not be very unique but the location and available space for a muffler in the Goblin is fairly unique...

Reactions: jpr

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Ecotecs might not be very unique but the location and available space for a muffler in the Goblin is fairly unique...
These have more room than a VW dune buggy with their rear engine, and if a bigger muffler was needed there, the pipe from the header was extended further to the side of the car and then curved into the larger muffler, which also extended further to the opposite side.
A Goblin has more room to the rear of its mid-located engine, and similar methods to the above dune buggy example can be used. Just need to be creative....

Fozda

Goblin Guru
These have more room than a VW dune buggy with their rear engine, and if a bigger muffler was needed there, the pipe from the header was extended further to the side of the car and then curved into the larger muffler, which also extended further to the opposite side.
A Goblin has more room to the rear of its mid-located engine, and similar methods to the above dune buggy example can be used. Just need to be creative....
Sounds like you're describing a whole new exhaust system instead of just a simple muffler replacement...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Some of the ideas put forth have their merits, but let's all keep in mind @PHENDERSON doesn't have a welder. So I'm assuming the solution he is looking for wouldn't involve fabrication and welding together pipes and mufflers.

Exhaust inserts, which reduce noise, also impede exhaust flow - but this may be his option if no welding can be done. So it becomes a trade off for low dBs versus less 'fun factor', but still being able to DIY a quieter exhaust.. :confused:

Waterdriver

Goblin Guru
Another option is Supertrapp. It's tunable so you can get you desired noise suppression while increasing back pressure and reducing power. But can always add discs back in when needed or remove altogether.
sup-344-3004_w.jpg

Dale E

So tell me what engine you have and if you have the stock exhaust header or an aftermarket one - short or long -- tuned equal length? Is it a 2 1/2 outlet to muffler pipe or 3 inch out? Does it go straight out the back like @Rttoys? or does it exit to the drivers side like some of the turbo cars? Do you want a single exit muffler pipe or a center twin, or outside twin exits? How much quieter do you want it? Do you want high pitch (rice rocket sound) or a low rumble old school hotrod sound?

Intakes also cause noise situations. The Dual side draft Weber carbs on my Birkin make more noise sucking air in than the exhaust. Listen to some videos of European hill climb cars and those bike carbureted, individual throttle body (roller and slider actuated ones too) cars make some screaming noises (they also run at high RPM).. People take notice when the Birkin is running. It also produces a different total sound.

Mufflers are just like engines and can be tuned to a certain sound, but it might take a few different muffler builds or combinations to get you there. And the way you drive also is a factor. Easy on the throttle and it will be quieter than always flooring it.

You don't want to impede air flow and create too much back pressure. You don't want to big of piping either.

There are many different configurations you can choose -- auger type, perforated cone type (@Desert Sasqwatch), Perforated pipe (straight through or a few internal to the muffler body (( those usually chambered as well )) with or without deadening wraps, baffled type like Flowmaster. There are ones with half circles (Spintech) and there used to be a Wave muffler (internal washboard baffles). The old dimpled side pipes of years gone by. There are also disc type inserts like the cone insert. You also have to consider the engine RPM range you normally drive for exhaust tuning (you can always have a quiet street muffler with an open flow vacuum, electric or manual operation. (old school cutout type). Sine, Sawtooth, Square wave sounds create differences and Frequency/Hz ranges. Whew!!

Take for instance a 3.4 GM V6 (which is basically a 350 V8 minus two cylinders) and it sounds close to a 350 V8 if you muffler it right. The 3.8 GM V6 has a totally different sound and people have a disturbingly hard time getting it to sound good.

A few Goblin builders have created some visual works of art for exhaust and like you as a builder it was their individual preference.

Bottom line: If you find a solution that works for you, then make it happen. You are the one that is driving the Goblin, it is yours, and you apparently want to honor your neighbors sensitivities as well as your own.

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Some of the ideas put forth have their merits, but let's all keep in mind @PHENDERSON doesn't have a welder. So I'm assuming the solution he is looking for wouldn't involve fabrication and welding together pipes and mufflers.
Take it to a muffler shop. They usually have an assortment of mandrel bends (at least the ones around here do) and mufflers so they can put together something that will still flow.... quietly.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Exhaust inserts, which reduce noise, also impede exhaust flow - but this may be his option if no welding can be done. So it becomes a trade off for low dBs versus less 'fun factor', but still being able to DIY a quieter exhaust.. :confused:
I'm sure a generic bolt in silencer plug could be bought and installed easily to accommodate this. I might just get on for the cruising around the neighborhood stuff, then take it out when you want performance.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm sure a generic bolt in silencer plug could be bought and installed easily to accommodate this. I might just get on for the cruising around the neighborhood stuff, then take it out when you want performance.
JINX: That's the same insert I suggested in post #10.