Suspension knowledge check

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Ill make this quick.

ZZP sells tubular front lower control arms on their site and they are listed as "Works on all LE5 and LSJ vehicles. Does not work on the LNF."
Besides the ball joint, what is different? Could one get away with changing out the ball joint and then be LNF friendly?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
To answer your question, the ball joint would be the part change needed to be compatible with the LNF hub upright.
Question is are you looking to replace the arms from your donor? Are they bad?
The welded tube arm is most likely not any lighter than the aluminum arm from the Cobalt. They may be stiffer (maybe?), but the design of the Cobalt arms is really an excellent part for weight to stiffness. ;)

Last edited:

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I almost spent the money on the tubular control arms myself, but the issue with the rear suspension is the strut configuration. Tubular control arms isn't going to fix the toe out under acceleration. It may stiffen up a little for turns, but unless you're tracking/autox, you won't notice the benefit of the tubular arms. I'd wait and hope for the new setup DF is working on comes to reality... or make your own setup to solve the issue.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
You would have to reuse your old ball joints from your existing control arms since there isn't a source for replacement ball joints for the LNF. Might be possible to drill out the rivets on yours and swap them over, but not worth the effort.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
You would have to reuse your old ball joints from your existing control arms since there isn't a source for replacement ball joints for the LNF. Might be possible to drill out the rivets on yours and swap them over, but not worth the effort.
OTTP has LNF ball joints last time I checked. It's a pre-order IIRC, with a ship date in August. Probably more info on their Facebook page.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You can try them, but the SC cars also had aluminum lower control arms and do not match up to the LNF hub uprights. Too many of us have asked if these are TC ball joints, told yes, then get them and they are too small. Goodluck.:)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Thanks for posting the OTTP ball joints. I think that is the first time they have been posted on here. Although my control arms were replaced when I built the Goblin, I ordered a set to have since they had been impossible to find. Although shipping is getting outrageous, almost $20.00 for the cheapest.

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Thanks for the info guys. I should have asked before purchasing.

Set of LSJ lower control arms for sale! ‍(facepalm)

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If you already have them, confirm their bolt spacing for the ball joint is the same as stock and add the OTTP ones when they come out.