Successful Florida registration 4/28/22

Hey guys, there's a dark cloud over the subject of registering a goblin in Florida. I too almost went the Montana route but decided to at least give it a try. There was a learning curve but come through with a title and registration for my goblin yesterday. The trick is to request a title as ASPT , "assembled from parts". It's almost identical to a "kit car" titling.

First you will need to contact your local DMV for a list of APPROVED weight stations. One you have that you will need two forms:

HSMV 84490 Statement of builder (check ASPT)
HSMV 82040 Application for certificate of title with/without registration

Fill those out (make copies of blanks) and make an appointment at your local REGIONAL DMV. This DMV will have to be capable of inspecting cars with rebuilt titles and home built titles. This appointment with be to assure you have the correct paperwork and allow you to set up an appointment for vehicle inspection.

Now I hit a road block before my first appointment. My DMV (Tampa Hillsborough) didn't know what to do with a goblin. At that point then took a copy of all my information and mailed it to Tallahassee. After reading the forums this is where everyone got denied. I felt defeated and almost started the Montana process. But less than a week later I got a phone call and Tallahassee gave me the green light. I got all my paperwork bought off was told to have insurance on it for the day of the inspection rally insurance helped a lot here. Made my appointment for vehicle inspection. The hardest part was finding the vin on the engine block. *vin is on the oil filter housing* after that was identified along with the frame serial number, I got a state issued vin number along with a title.

It works! I'm completely legal on Florida! If there is any questions on what I did just let me know.

Gr8wheels

Congratulations, I'm in Fl. just south of you 15 miles south of Sarasota. I'm frame #406 and may have it delivered in a few weeks. I just posted a thread about using the current title as it is unblemished but your solution is now front and center. Thank you for posting the instructions.
Perhaps we could meet as I would like to see an actual Goblin, (I purchased my kit based on pictures and reading the forum) I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss your build and record any "tips" to help me in my endeavor.
Thanks,
Pete

Congratulations, I'm in Fl. just south of you 15 miles south of Sarasota. I'm frame #406 and may have it delivered in a few weeks. I just posted a thread about using the current title as it is unblemished but your solution is now front and center. Thank you for posting the instructions.
Perhaps we could meet as I would like to see an actual Goblin, (I purchased my kit based on pictures and reading the forum) I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss your build and record any "tips" to help me in my endeavor.
Thanks,
Pete
Sure thing, slowly finding more and more goblins around my area. My wife and I have been taking it out to just about every car show and cars and coffee around.

If you end up in the Tampa area let me know and we can try to meet up.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Hey @Carproblem, I'm going to be tackling the FL registration process (hopefully soon) and so is @jaredthenav. We're up in Pensacola though and the local inspection office/DMV is hesitant that it'll approve as a road vehicle. Jared tried awhile back, but they said it would be denied in Tallahassee. Are you able to post a copy of your forms that you submitted and the address of the DMV that you took yours to? Maybe they are able to provide some insight for our local DMV to get 2 more Florida Goblins on the road :D

Ghostknife

Goblin Guru
Good to see people in the Tampa area, the wife and I travel down to Palm Harbor every year for Christmas. This year I think I will be trailering the Goblin down with me. Maybe we can all meet up if you all are on the road

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’d be down for a meet up. I’d trailer my goblin down just for it. We have family in Pasco County just north of Tampa so I’ll use that as an excuse to convince the wife.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
@Carproblem looks like your google docs above are going to a bad URL. Can you please repost them or attach them to your reply? I’m going to start my paperwork for this

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I pulled the forms from the same place, just wanted to fill out the same information he did to prevent issues when submitted. Might just go ahead and wing it. Need to do a modified exhaust then take my pictures and get it weighed before submitting my paperwork. Hoping next week I will get to all of that.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Good to see people in the Tampa area, the wife and I travel down to Palm Harbor every year for Christmas. This year I think I will be trailering the Goblin down with me. Maybe we can all meet up if you all are on the road
I am 150 miles north of Palm Harbor. I am 15 miles from the I-10 & I-75 intersection (Lake City). If you pass that way I will drive my Goblin over to meet up for a meal. Have a safe trip.

@Carproblem looks like your google docs above are going to a bad URL. Can you please repost them or attach them to your reply? I’m going to start my paperwork for this
Sorry about that I'm not sure what happened there. But these are the correct links below
Doesn't look like they've been online in almost a month. I think they should be:

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/84490.pdf
https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/82040.pdf
Thank you for finding the correct links. Rauq updated my post above

ole mother

Ok, so my goblin is tagged and insured.. But I went a completely different route. Since all the parts came off of the cobalt (well some parts) my Vin is on the subframe.. I went to the dmv and got a tag. Mine is registered as a cobalt, which technically it is but I think it is just a matter of time before that comes back to bite me. So I guess I will go this route so I don't get locked up.

Last edited:

ole mother

Sorry about that I'm not sure what happened there. But these are the correct links below

Thank you for finding the correct links. Rauq updated my post above
Any chance you will post the two forms and what you wrote down. so we will have an example to go by. Not asking you to put all your vital info but I would like to know what worked.