RPM Fluctuations/Stalling

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
After rereading you original post, I'm doubting that rpm fluctuations to that extreme are caused by the tune without something else going on. Maybe a bad throttle position switch? That is where a good log would come in handy. If you could find a GM tech willing to look at it, they could likely diagnose something pretty quick with a tech2.

YoungGun

After rereading you original post, I'm doubting that rpm fluctuations to that extreme are caused by the tune without something else going on. Maybe a bad throttle position switch? That is where a good log would come in handy. If you could find a GM tech willing to look at it, they could likely diagnose something pretty quick with a tech2.
Reading about the TPS, it does sound like it could cause these issues. Then again everything else does too to a degree lol. Because the issue isnt really with the idle itself, its the throttle thats a bit all over the place. When it goes into surge mode it almost seems like its overcompensating in both directions like a pendulum.

There is a GM dealership a few miles away. I do want to learn and work on the car myself but at the same time I dont want to spend weeks troubleshooting a problem.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
If you had HP Tuners and did a really good long data log, that would tell us a lot! We could see if it's the pedal, AFR, MAF, etc. On these cars, it's worth the investment.

YoungGun

If you had HP Tuners and did a really good long data log, that would tell us a lot! We could see if it's the pedal, AFR, MAF, etc. On these cars, it's worth the investment.
Probably a future thing I will do. For now I am a little anxious to get the car steady/operational (havent even felt confident enough to drive over to get it inspected/registered) so I think I am going to take it to GM service center and have them take a look to hopefully find/fix or rule out some issues on Monday/Tuesday.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Check the condition of the O2 sensor. If it’s really dirty it could be causing these exact issue. Clean it well and see if that helps.

This is free, start with the easy stuff first. A $20 OBD2 reader dongle is well worth the money.

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
Jermey's car seemed to run fine at the autocrosses. I was behind him a lot in our autocross running order, so I would have noticed if it was surging at idle. I am able to run an HP Tuner's log, and check for OBDii codes, as that should give us a good diagnostic. I should be back from vacation in a week or so, and can help YoungGun then, if he gets a tow bar, or some way to move it.

YoungGun

Jermey's car seemed to run fine at the autocrosses. I was behind him a lot in our autocross running order, so I would have noticed if it was surging at idle. I am able to run an HP Tuner's log, and check for OBDii codes, as that should give us a good diagnostic. I should be back from vacation in a week or so, and can help YoungGun then, if he gets a tow bar, or some way to move it.
I really appreciate it. I think I saw that video of you both autocrossing. I will see what the GM people say and possibly try replacing some parts that are potentially causing the issue in the meantime.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Don’t be surprised when the dealer (possibly) dosen’t know anything. They like bone stock and new. This is over 10 years old and highly modified. I would try to find a performance shop that is good with exotec or even LS based vehicles.
Since it seems that it ran fine before, hopefully it’s just a sensor nutting up or a loose connection somewhere.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If taking it to a dealer, you will have to convince them that the diagnostics for the ECM are still the same as the original donor.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Take your car to an automotive supply store (Autozone/Napa/etc) and they often will pull the OBDii codes for free.
Make a smoke machine and check for vacuum leaks?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
So yes first step is to check the engine DTC's and start there. You can get that done at the local parts stores. Make sure you get the exact codes. At this point you are interested in the P codes (which are all you are likely to get from the free reading). You will get several that aren't important, such as evap and 2nd o2 sensor, but most of the others will matter.

YoungGun

So yes first step is to check the engine DTC's and start there. You can get that done at the local parts stores. Make sure you get the exact codes. At this point you are interested in the P codes (which are all you are likely to get from the free reading). You will get several that aren't important, such as evap and 2nd o2 sensor, but most of the others will matter.
Okay cool, tomorrow morning I will take it to Autozone and report back with their readings, and then take it to the GM service center across the street depending on what those codes are.

YoungGun

Don’t be surprised when the dealer (possibly) dosen’t know anything. They like bone stock and new. This is over 10 years old and highly modified. I would try to find a performance shop that is good with exotec or even LS based vehicles.
Since it seems that it ran fine before, hopefully it’s just a sensor nutting up or a loose connection somewhere.
Well I'm hoping they can at least rule some things out like sensors, loose connections, leaks, find codes, and narrow the search a bit. If they can't find anything I'll send it to a performance shop. They are a little further away so I'll try them second. Don't want to risk stalling out every light for a 25 minute drive lol, doesn't sound super fun.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
A dealer might be more willing to work on it if you can go to them and say it has a particular problem with the (throttle position switch switch for example). Probably any good shop could diagnose it with a Snap-on diagnostic tool also, it will just be a matter of getting someone willing to actually try.

Make sure you know for sure what your donor vehicle was.

YoungGun

GM service center was zero help as expected by you guys lol. Got the codes from the Aeroforce guage, didn't realize that was a thing until today... Attached the picture of it. I also tried disconnecting the TPS sensor and seeing how that went, it went into severe limp mode and wouldn't give me enough power to even make it up the curb onto my driveway. It didn't stall... but I couldn't really drive it so it wasn't a great test. Here are the codes.

Attachments

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Since you have been unplugging things, clear the codes and try to drive it for a little bit to make them set again. I’m suspecting codes like the tps codes was from you unplugging it.

YoungGun

Kk I will do that tomorrow. Wasn't sure if that would perma clear issues. One of the mechanics did check it over for a few seconds and said he thought it might be the TPS. He didn't see any connections loose. Then again he only took a few minutes of his time. It will be interesting to see what codes come back.