Project Undertow #388

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
I don’t have a recommendation on pumps, but one tip for the SS/SC is to install the heat exchanger before the radiator. It’s not mentioned in the videos, but makes it easier to install then.

Also, keep the intercooler pump in the exact same orientation or you could run into issues with the subframe. If you do choose to run the phenolic intake spacer, the intercooler hoses may (probably will) hit the fue tank so have the engine 100% ready to install before putting it in the chassis. With the supercharger on the front, there isn’t much room to do anything after it’s in.

EDIT: Leak check the intercooler system as soon as practical.

Last edited:

Dominicnicklyn

So, I'm to the point where I'm mounting the engine and connecting the harnesses to the fuse block and I stumble upon this.

Any idea what the twisted purple and yellow wires are that come out of the engine harness? It looks like the previous owner tried putting a crimp connect and sodder on them

These are the connectors that were in the same Loom as my mystery wire.
20220917_172517.jpg

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
So, I'm to the point where I'm mounting the engine and connecting the harnesses to the fuse block and I stumble upon this.

Any idea what the twisted purple and yellow wires are that come out of the engine harness? It looks like the previous owner tried putting a crimp connect and sodder on them

These are the connectors that were in the same Loom as my mystery wire.View attachment 35701
Vehicle speed sensor? That's what they are on my car anyway. Plugs in right here (laser dot):

Dominicnicklyn

Key on works. The car seems to be the same as
Before the stripdown. Turn the key and the **** theft light is still the only thing on the gauge panel.

So, I connected to the car via hp tuners and unlocked the Vin, pulled the stock tune, saved it on my laptop, and then disconnected hp tuners and shut the car all the way off.

I then ended up trying to reconnect to the ecm and it says "unable to detect the vehicles diagnostics protocol". The interface is updated and resynced but I cannot connect to the vehicle for the life of me.

I tried the relearn procedure, disconnected the battery, hooked the battery back up and put on charge, checked all of the plugs going to the bcm and ecm. I'm stumped

The Donor vehicle was having the same issues with the vats system before I stripped it down.

Joebob

Goblin Guru
I would work through this youtube video to make sure you have a complete loop for the data to transmit. Don't forget to have ALL!! the grounds installed from the headlights to the tail lights in place too. Then make sure no open wire is shorted to the chassis with key on. Make sure all the plugs are well seated to the BCM, ECM, power steering, ect. The video below is valuable for the many weird gremlins I have had in the past and will probably have in the future.

Joe

Dominicnicklyn

Do you guys think it's possible that my ecm is bad or bricked?
It's just weird how I could pull the stock tune and then have issues afterwards.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Of course it's possible, but not likely at this point (or at least no reason to think so), unless there is more to this story.

Dominicnicklyn

It's a possibility that it's the wrong key or the ignition/chip isn't working correctly. Would that effect my ability to connect to the ecm?

I'm going to spend the next couple weeks trying to diagnose what th is going on with this system. If I have no solution could I take a bcm and ecm from another 06 lsj and have it work along with the rest of my electronics?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It's a possibility that it's the wrong key or the ignition/chip isn't working correctly. Would that effect my ability to connect to the ecm?

I'm going to spend the next couple weeks trying to diagnose what th is going on with this system. If I have no solution could I take a bcm and ecm from another 06 lsj and have it work along with the rest of my electronics?
I think you can just swap out modules on the earlier models but you may need the module that reads the key and correct key also. You could possibly have separate problems with they no start and the data problem or at least overlapping problems.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Of course the best way to diagnose all of this is with a tech2 or clone. At least after yo get the data reading.

Dominicnicklyn

I bought a ECM, BCM, ignition and key from another 06 lsj, the part numbers all match. Still the same outcome

Keep in mind this Is after I disabled VATs via hp tuners.

Fuel pump doesn't get voltage
I'm not getting any codes except 2 for the throttle pedal

I can't find anything online about my weird theft light