1988 Nissan B12 Sentra sleeper build

Goblinfanclub1234

I have a rust free 1988 Nissan Sentra 2-door.

Plan is to drop in an LS6 Corvette engine with *edit* TKX 5-speed *edit* using Mazda Miata front and rear subframes and the parts that the Miata guys use for their LS swaps.

Building the Goblin really opened up a lot of doors for me in terms of confidence and skills for building cars. Everything except welding which is the next frontier to master. the challenge is grafting in the subframes and making a driveshaft tunnel. this was a 1.6 liter front wheel drive car. interior is mint. the engine had a spun rod bearing.

Plan is to make a 400whp NA car that is 100% sleeper. Original curb weight was 2,650. trying to keep it under 3,000. Is there any interest in me making this thread?

Last edited:

Goblinfanclub1234

'Sleeper' as it's going to make a fair bit of noise!
I am going to use dual 2.5" cats, and 2 walker quiet flow mufflers - the biggest that they make, with exhaust cut outs somewhere. trying to make this thing whisper quiet ;-)

I will use 4 mufflers if I have to! I will be cutting out most of the floor and trunk behind the front seats to make room for everything.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Or you could really throw anyone listening for a loop by making a switchable exhaust 'leak' in one or two of the primary header tubes - make it sound like a real beater and cover the V8 sound. Did this on a buddy's 72 Duster with a solenoid valve when we were in high school.

Goblinfanclub1234

it might be 2+ years before I get to exhaust I have some time to think about it...step 1 is spinal fusion surgery at the end of this year, then recovery, buy welding tools, learn how to mig weld, buy the miata front subframe and suspension and get that subframe mounted up

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Wow! Similar sort of hole-e-ness is going on to construct GOB-
BALT.(see my "Other Builds" posts) My initial goal is similar to the DeTomaso, Vallelunga of 1964. It's gotta run before it can fly!
I'll be following as closely as you are willing to show us!:cool:

Goblinfanclub1234

Wow! Similar sort of hole-e-ness is going on to construct GOB-
BALT.(see my "Other Builds" posts) My initial goal is similar to the DeTomaso, Vallelunga of 1964. It's gotta run before it can fly!
I'll be following as closely as you are willing to show us!:cool:
I am basically building a V8 swapped miata inside of a 1988 sentra shell. the engine will be in the front, I am using the v8 swap miata front subframe, check out this beauty. it should be showing up any day now.

I looked at a lot of different drive train options to make this build easier, miata, fox body mustang, subaru, nissan 350z...but the miata is within 1 inch in track width, it had v8 aftermarket parts, easy to work on. cant wait to get the chassis work done.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
I am basically building a V8 swapped miata inside of a 1988 sentra shell. the engine will be in the front, I am using the v8 swap miata front subframe, check out this beauty. it should be showing up any day now.

I looked at a lot of different drive train options to make this build easier, miata, fox body mustang, subaru, nissan 350z...but the miata is within 1 inch in track width, it had v8 aftermarket parts, easy to work on. cant wait to get the chassis work done.

View attachment 44782
That is going to be quite a creature! Finding a suitable/functional body is always a problem!(for example see the movie: Young Frankenstein.) I am watching for new posts and updates! Will you be putting the rear seat back in to increase stealth?
I am building a mid engine car out of a front wheel drive car as a kind of protest. I am 60 y/o and remember when even "more pedestrian" cars were rear wheel drive and that made them fun(Falcon's, Nova's, Valiant's), now most are appliances, IMO.
I had an 05 MR2 and wanted another, but they stopped building them. The future looked bleak and life got in the way all over! In my case, much science was borrowed from the construction of the Goblin. Drop in and read my GOB-BALT posts in Other Builds
Check your direct messages on this forum.

Last edited:

Tinkles

Not to be a bummer, but 4L60E's are quite notorious for failing. The 4L80E is what alot of people replace them with seeing as stock 80E's hold up better than built 60E's.

One of my buddies had a 2nd gen Miata with a LS2 with a manual trans stuffed in it and it was bonkers. I have personally watched him fight for traction at highway speeds.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Check the bolt pattern. It's probable that the Ecotec bolt pattern is different than the 4L80 (and maybe the 4L60). They have the V6/V8 bolt pattern. An adapter plate might be required to install.

Additionally the dimensions of the transmission case are larger on the driver's side (much like the F40 manual transmission) and the frame rails may need to be reworked, especially for the 4L80.

Just some things to consider.

Tinkles

Check the bolt pattern. It's probable that the Ecotec bolt pattern is different than the 4L80 (and maybe the 4L60). They have the V6/V8 bolt pattern. An adapter plate might be required to install.

Additionally the dimensions of the transmission case are larger on the driver's side (much like the F40 manual transmission) and the frame rails may need to be reworked, especially for the 4L80.

Just some things to consider.
4L80E and 4L60E's are RWD LS transmissions.... Good advice if this was about installing it in a Goblin...

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
DOH! Your correct. Sorry, it didn't register these are the 'L' transmissions you were discussing. My brain was focusing on the 60/80 versus the 4T40/45 for the transverse transmission. My bad. But if someone were to use the 4T60 in the Goblin there would likely be some clearance problems on the driver's side with the frame rails and the bolt pattern is different. :D