Search results

1. A

how do I recognize a limited slip differential?

Got the VIN. Thanks Ross for the decoder link. They list every detail, even leg room, about the car except the options. It does say it has the "Performance handling" suspension. From what wikipedia says about the cobalt, that means LSD...
  2. A

If it comes to that I'll (try to) do it myself. That's why I'm getting into this. I'm not afraid to break something. I expect to. :p The owners going to look for the VIN when he gets home. If the sacrificial Cobalt looks OK I'll finally order my goblin. I have to find someone in Tucson that can...
  3. A

Thanks guys. If it doesnt have an LSD, I see them online for as little as $350 new. Is there any reason I cant add one once my goblin is built?
  4. A

Trunk plate? Is that somewhere inside the trunk or do you mean the badge on the back?
  5. A

I've finally got a line on a 2005 SS supercharged cobalt. But the limited slip differential on the 2005 was optional. What do I look for to tell the difference (short of pouring butter under one of the wheels and punching the gas) ?
  6. A

videos 25 & 26

Lonny, Adam. The build videos are great but it's been more than 2 years since part 24. Are we ever getting 25 & 26? If not, is there another build video that finishes the brakes & steering column in as much detail? How about alignment and any tests we should do before hitting the road? Watching...
  7. A

need a little advice from the crowd

Most of the cobalts I've seen online are automatics. But salvaged manual transmissions are easy to find on ebay for a few hundred bucks. As long as I match the year & trim, is it an easy swap?
  8. A

Desert Sasquatch: Why do you suppose they put larger ball joints on the front of a rear wheel drive? And can the smaller base version ball joints be replaced? Axles & brakes too? What are the consequences if I dont? The ECM doesn't worry me, I was going to hack that anyway.
  9. A

Did you build a Goblin? If so, would you mind if I came over and got some pointers?
  10. A

Looking at the order page, it lists the stuff you get for each trim. Comparing manual base & manual turbocharged: Manual Base/Sport + $250: Adds manual shifter linkages, custom shifter cables, clutch line, other manual shifter hardware. Manual SS Turbocharged +$2000 :Adds manual shifter...
  11. A

Lets say I start with a base model with plans to boost later. That means a 2.2 or 2.4 L engine. The TC was 2.0 L. Will a 2.4 L engine with an aftermarket turbo fit? I like to tinker but I dont want to take a hacksaw to the frame. DF sells a "turbo kit" for the TC. Is that something I can buy...
  12. A

I'm gonna build a Goblin. And the more I build the better. I'm a rank beginner with cars but for me, an engineer & habitual tinkerer, the build is the best part of anything. That and all the tuning that comes later. I want the power of the TC. But a wrecked TC is about as easy to find as a...