05 SS/SC shifter linkage "ball" question

Oldchevyguy

I am trying to connect my DL cables to the stock (F35?) Transaxle. The provided rod ends fit on the linkage balls (correct diameter), but they do not enter enough to install the wire clips. I tried filing the top of one ball, but so far, that hasn't worked. The rod ends need a more spherical shape. Mine are more oblong. Anyone run into this, and how did you solve it?

baustin

When I installed mine, I added some grease and also had to use a dead blow hammer the first couple times. I did have the wire retaining clips entirely removed before seating the rod ends. Able to remove he rod ends back from the transmission by prying with a flat tip screwdriver. After a couple times they go on by hand now.

Parson Green

I am trying to connect my DL cables to the stock (F35?) Transaxle. The provided rod ends fit on the linkage balls (correct diameter), but they do not enter enough to install the wire clips. I tried filing the top of one ball, but so far, that hasn't worked. The rod ends need a more spherical shape. Mine are more oblong. Anyone run into this, and how did you solve it?
On our car, the bracket which holds the two shifter-cable housings needed to be tweaked (to better aim the cables towards the shift levers, i.e., to remove the "dogleg" in the trajectory of the cables).

After said tweaking (and a few squirts of teflon lubricant) our balls snapped in quite satisfactorily and the locking clips fit snugly but well.

[As mentioned by BAUSTIN, the locking clips need to be entirely removed for proper seating.]

Last edited:

Oldchevyguy

When I installed mine, I added some grease and also had to use a dead blow hammer the first couple times. I did have the wire retaining clips entirely removed before seating the rod ends. Able to remove he rod ends back from the transmission by prying with a flat tip screwdriver. After a couple times they go on by hand now.
Were you able to install the clips?