06 supercharger Coolant hoses orientation

Acewest

Hey I need some help with how all my hoses under the supercharger is suppose to look before I mount the motor.

Attachments

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
On your pic, is it supposed to be capped off on the pump? also where is the rest of the lines ?
The capped off part of the pump gets connected to the heat exchanger and the other end of the heat exchanger loop will go to the plastic fill neck that is bolted to your supercharger, unless you had an "option b" set up.
The super charger coolant goes through its own system and the engine coolant has its own system too.

JeffsGoblin

Goblin Guru
That diagram has you pumping heated coolant through the pump vs pumping cooler fluid from the heat exchanger
Yeah, that is the way most of the diagrams are out on the web. Someone else on here said that was correct, but I agree you... some one else said heat kills, so it should be turned around like your diagram. Then I think Lonny said there is more chances for the pump to cavitate. See this thread on the TC intercooler pump: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/turbo-intercooler-plumbing.917/post-29047 It maybe personal preference. For my setup, I am pumping the cool side thru the pump, but I should have no chance for cavitation because I have the Option B tank to constantly purge air from the system.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I doubt the pump has any issues running on the warm side. It never gets hot on a stock SC LSJ engine.
Only gets warm after hard driving.
I had a long discussion with Lonny when I installed mine. He stated the pump was rated well within the operating temps. He was more concerned with the pump being starved. So, he wanted the highest point above the pump to be the supply side.

Zoidborg

Yeah, that is the way most of the diagrams are out on the web. Someone else on here said that was correct, but I agree you... some one else said heat kills, so it should be turned around like your diagram. Then I think Lonny said there is more chances for the pump to cavitate. See this thread on the TC intercooler pump: http://dfkitcar.com/forum/index.php?threads/turbo-intercooler-plumbing.917/post-29047 It maybe personal preference. For my setup, I am pumping the cool side thru the pump, but I should have no chance for cavitation because I have the Option B tank to constantly purge air from the system.
Maybe slightly off-topic, but I've been looking for how people have set up the Option B configuration. I'm not sure how to get the small air purge tube properly routed, and I'm not sure where to put the tank itself.

I've only recently put my order in, and it will be some time before I get the stage 1 frame and parts. So in the meantime I am doing a lot of planning and research, and dusting off old ideas from when I used to drive this car. I wasn't sure if people run the small air purge tube all the way from the intercooler (especially if it is in the front where I think mine will be), or I was thinking I could run the air purge tube from a T fitting just before the flow enters the laminova endplate. Assuming I keep the configuration in the car where I have the pump fitted on the hot side where the coolant exits the manifold. But I definitely want to work out how best to fit the air purge tube and the coolant tank itself.

Thanks!

G-Quest

Maybe slightly off-topic, but I've been looking for how people have set up the Option B configuration. I'm not sure how to get the small air purge tube properly routed, and I'm not sure where to put the tank itself.

I've only recently put my order in, and it will be some time before I get the stage 1 frame and parts. So in the meantime I am doing a lot of planning and research, and dusting off old ideas from when I used to drive this car. I wasn't sure if people run the small air purge tube all the way from the intercooler (especially if it is in the front where I think mine will be), or I was thinking I could run the air purge tube from a T fitting just before the flow enters the laminova endplate. Assuming I keep the configuration in the car where I have the pump fitted on the hot side where the coolant exits the manifold. But I definitely want to work out how best to fit the air purge tube and the coolant tank itself.

Thanks!
Although still under construction, I was able to mount Option B tank using a DF Kit Car supplied prototype Option B bracket (they seem to ahead of the curve whenever I need something). Contact Adam. I had to flip-flop the brackets from side-to-side to allow access to the dip stick on the LSJ and accommodate the new tanks (both with the exit ports in the original position). Moving the brackets puts the tanks outboard from their intended location and will prevent the use of the DF supplied engine cover.

My donor had the Option B installed without the vent port drilled and tapped into intercooler. I will need to determine if a vent tube is a requirement for this setup.

to
Option B #3.jpg
Option B #1.jpg
Option B #2.jpg
Option B #3.jpg
Option B #2.jpg

Zoidborg

Although still under construction, I was able to mount Option B tank using a DF Kit Car supplied prototype Option B bracket (they seem to ahead of the curve whenever I need something). Contact Adam. I had to flip-flop the brackets from side-to-side to allow access to the dip stick on the LSJ and accommodate the new tanks (both with the exit ports in the original position). Moving the brackets puts the tanks outboard from their intended location and will prevent the use of the DF supplied engine cover.

My donor had the Option B installed without the vent port drilled and tapped into intercooler. I will need to determine if a vent tube is a requirement for this setup.

to View attachment 30401View attachment 30402View attachment 30403View attachment 30401View attachment 30403
Nice, so they are coming up with a bracket for the Option B tank. Both of those new tanks sure look a lot better than the old ones I have; I may need to add new tanks to my list. Hopefully I can figure it out with the engine cover; I do want to be able to use that. It definitely looks great; thanks for the pics!

I can tell you about the vent tube: There is supposed to be a plastic restrictor that goes into the tube at the connection to the intercooler radiator. It allows some coolant to flow into the reservoir while the pump is running (as that tap on the intercooler is where the water has entered the radiator). It (1) makes bleeding air from the system when in the Cobalt a lot easier, and (2) allows the volume of coolant in the tank to circulate (albeit slowly) in with the coolant loop, increasing the cooling capacity of the system by virtue of running some of it through the tank. The restrictor in the tube is important because the flow into the tank bypasses the radiator, so you don't want much more of a trickle of it going into the tank instead of the radiator. I think main benefit is how it is meant to get air out of the system (since the top of the intercooler in the Cobalt is a high point of the system).

It's too bad the tank doesn't have two 3/4" ports on either side that would allow you to run it inline in the system so that the coolant flows through it without bypassing the radiator, but it's probably not that big of a deal. I'm thinking of a T junction probably after the pump output which would provide the same positive pressure differential across the radiator that the tap at the top of the radiator in the car does. Just will have to think about how to make it most effective at the air bleed function in the Goblin configuration.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
So if our donor had the dual-pass endplate and an Option B tank, we will need to get another bracket?

Zoidborg

So if our donor had the dual-pass endplate and an Option B tank, we will need to get another bracket?
I would sure like a bracket that makes it easy to mount, I like the setup in those pics. I may put them toward the middle so the engine cover will go on. Maybe bend the dipstick or something, not sure. Otherwise, you'd need to figure out how to mount the tank, and it needs to be generally the highest point of the coolant loop. I've seen a couple of creative solutions in other threads as well.