#180, SpeedHacks City, 06' SS, Take 2

speedhacks

I can't say enough good things about Radford. Great racing school. Learned a lot and best of all SCCA Comp license incoming!

Today. Maiden voyage! The thing is a riot. Took about an hour to adjust the shifter to my liking. Transmission shifts smooth and is no drama. It also took my friend and I far too long to realize the front calipers were reversed. Could not get a solid pedal. Finally realized the bleeder valves were pointing down.

Fairly certain I have incorrect seat brackets for my frame. Gonna email DF. I have the seat adjusted the farthest back holes and I'm basically sitting in the steering wheel. Passenger seat hits the shifter base. Got 6 inches or so of clearance behind the seat.

Definitely gotta work on the alignment. Only eyeballed at the moment.

speedhacks

Replacement seat brackets are in.

Got the alignment done. That made all the difference. Super stable now. Throttle input is great. The thing is incredible!!!!

speedhacks

I started trying to work on steering stops. Passenger side is no issue. Added a collar... Unfortunately the driver side is gonna require some finessing. I tried to add a slice from a 1" piece of pipe but as enticipated it's not long enough. 3d printer ftw...

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We sell steering rack limiters.

speedhacks

We sell steering rack limiters.
Even better!

Rauq

Goblin Guru
Where did you end up setting your alignment? How much weight in the car? I'm interested to see how those tires perform.

speedhacks

Rear camber is - 1.5'
Rear toe is around 1/8"
Where did you end up setting your alignment? How much weight in the car? I'm interested to see how those tires perform.
Alignment was in line with what DF recommended. Only difference I think I made was ever so slightly more toe on the front. Caster was 9' and 8.7' or so on the driver side. Camber was 1.5' all around. I used camber Bolts for the rear. They seem to work OK. Touchy on the adjustment so I'll want to recheck that soon. I used 400# of wood pellets when setting all those values. I did that without seats so that ends up to about two 180# people in the car.

So far I think these tires will be really great. If I did it again I'd prob do the 8.5" wide Konig in the front with the 245/40/15 and the 9.5" wide Konig in the rear with the 275/35/15 Nankang - only because finding a place to stretch a tire is a pain in the ass. I may still buy two tires and two wheels and switch it to that just to see. I'm told a stretched tire will communicate its limit a bit better but I really have no basis for it personally.

speedhacks

Fwiw the car is super stable and when you roll into the throttle it stays straight. I'm switching my harnesses to cam lock ones as I didn't realize how difficult the others can be. Trying to make that easier.

speedhacks

Back in the groove. Finished up my speaker wiring and turn signals.

Finished the wing and I'm happy with it.
20220425_192018.jpg

Items left are...
Mount the parking brake, I don't have the guide tubes so I'm going to use PEX or copper tubing
Seats back in and harnesses
Button panel wiring
Hood and fenders

Hoping to have that wrapped up in the next couple weeks.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Thanks, the image you posted earlier thru me off because it matched up perfectly with the brackets, when I put mine on I didn't consider I could have used the space on the bottom.

You know what they say "Six of one Half a Dozen of Another" or was it "There is more than one way to skin a C#T"

speedhacks

This worked out better than I had hoped for. The 1/2" PEX, with Polybutylene adapter was great. Parking brake works amazingly.

speedhacks

With the harnesses in was comfortable giving it some more throttle. All I can say at this point is it's incredible.

May have made the wife nauseated... Hahaha

Too much brake at the moment. I think I'll probably end up with a vacuum reducer and proportioning valve so I can send more to the rear. Locked the front tires up a couple times. I'd rather the brake have a bit more feedback and stiffer.

speedhacks

The prop valve made all the difference. Eye ball popping really. I have it set to the front just starts to lock up before the rear. I'd rather face a situation where the car pushes a bit than lose the rear end and it comes around.
Insurance came through. Progressive Classic. Hagerty was a no-bueno which was super odd to me.

Now - at around 50mph and flooring it causes the rear end to wag a lot. I'm somewhat familiar with it. I suspect due to the soft poly bushings in the lower control arms.

Either way, car is a blast. I am loving it. Also - totally a crowd pleaser. Waves, horn honks, everything lol

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
If too much back end wiggle, check all your suspension bolts one more time just for safety sake. There has been things loose causing wiggle for some builders in the past. Goblin family safety is an important thing. :D