19 inch wheels?

PHENDERSON

Hi everyone. I'm shopping for wheels, mostly looking at 17" but came across a set of 19 inch on a huge sale...$400 down to $100 per wheel. Only problem is they are 19". Is anyone running 19s? If so could you post some pics. I know they will be heavy and not the best for performance but I want to make sure they wouldn't look ridiculous before buying. I have the option of 8.5, 9, 9.5, or 10 in width so I can run square or staggered.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Make sure you check the cost of what ever type tire you are looking at getting. It might eat up a lot of the savings if 19" happens to be one of those sizes that limits tire choices. As far a looks, I don't think it will be a problem.

KSLunsfo

Make sure you check the cost of what ever type tire you are looking at getting. It might eat up a lot of the savings if 19" happens to be one of those sizes that limits tire choices. As far a looks, I don't think it will be a problem.
Good point. Not so sure these days, but some years ago I believe 19" tires were actually more than 20" tires in many cases.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
For reference, this is a view of that car next to mine from behind. I'm running a 225/45R17 which is 25" tall, same height as the Cobalt, next to a 285/35R19 which is 26.9" tall. With 19s you're going to have to run a taller tire or less sidewall. A taller tire is going to effectively lower your final drive and put you in each gear longer, in this example is the equivalent of about a 7.5% extra overdrive. Optimize has run into this and was part of the reason he sought out the 4.17 final drive HHR F23 transmission.

Also, I looked at a Falken RT660 of the same width and diameter in 17" and 19" and they weigh the same, meaning the 19" wheel and tire combo will weigh more, and the 19" tire is $300 vs $180 for the 17".

PHENDERSON

I couldn't help myself, it was such a good deal. I ended up buying 19x8.5 and 19x9.5 Momo Ferrera wheels. I'm going to have to go with 30 series tires but oh well. Cost wise, since the wheels only cost $400 for the set it should actually end up cheaper. My other option was the Momo Heritage 6 which are $1,400 for a set.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I looked at the Momo website and they have the black and anthracite at the same price in 19" with various widths , bolt patterns etc for the same $99.00.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru

Adam in CLE

I am in the market for wheels as well. Thanks for sharing the sale. Though, I didn't see an option with 5x114.3. What did you order?

Chubbs

Killer sale, but I'm also curious about bolt patterns. What size did you all get? I thought our SS hubs were 5x110. Or do you have redrilled hubs for 5x114.3?

It's a shame they don't have these in any other size. 19 inch tires are about as expensive as they get. 20's for my dodge charger are half the cost of 19s.

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
Killer sale, but I'm also curious about bolt patterns. What size did you all get? I thought our SS hubs were 5x110. Or do you have redrilled hubs for 5x114.3?

It's a shame they don't have these in any other size. 19 inch tires are about as expensive as they get. 20's for my dodge charger are half the cost of 19s.
You can use a spacer as a medium to get whatever bolt pattern you need for the width/offset you're looking for. For example, I'm running 5x120 in the rear and 5x114 up front. I needed 5x120 bc that was the only bolt pattern where they had the width and offset in the concave style.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I think it looks pretty decent but I've always been a fan of gold colored wheels. Who cares what we all think, it's your project. Now, cleaning all those spokes is going to be fun.