+5v constant-on wire?

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Ahoy maties.

I'm planning on subscribing to Alldata Diy, but in the meantime, I have a quick wiring question. Is there, on any of the harness connectors in the Goblin, an accessible +5v wire that is always on? If so, which one?

Thanks in advance.

Goblin Guru
Just out of curiosity, what are your plans with 5V?
I am planning to create a push-button starter using the adapter I got from Bradr. For security, I intend to use an ESP32 module programmed to detect a nearby BLE beacon (a flat card that will make its home in my wallet), and a latching relay to establish the "ignition on" ground required by the adapter, along with a manual kill switch somewhere, and I would need a +5v line to power both the ESP32 module and the relay. If I can't get a +5v line, I have another solution in mind that would use a +12v line, but isn't as elegant.

Last edited:

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
It might be pretty tricky to find an always-on 5V line. I think a lot of circuits that use 5V originate from the ECM and are used for reference voltages for other circuits such as your clutch and gas pedals.

I don't know what your other solution is or your level of required elegance, but you might want to consider a step-down voltage regulator. You can get a tiny form factor one that's probably about the size of your pinky nail from Pololu. It's $4.95.

Just a thought.

Goblin Guru
Yep, that's my not-as-elegant solution. :) I was hoping there would be a +5v line I could use somewhere, but I'll probably just use a 7805 voltage regulator, or the one you linked.