A possible solution to the windshield glass issues

Imacflier

Evening all,

I am not yet a Goblin builder, although I expect to become one as soon as finances permit. But I have read the forum religiously and think I may have a windshield solution that solves a lot of issues with the existing solutions: the glass hatch on the F-body Camerobirds!

These are laminated glass for legality and the ability to be cut to shape. They are readily available both new and from JY's and are reasonably inexpensive. They have built in defrosters and wipers, and, if hinge mounted from the front top crosspiece of the 'halo', they will give substantially increased clearance to the steering wheel. It even should yield better aerodynamic performance!

How about a new windshield option for the 'halo' equipped Goblins?

Whatcha think, guys?

Larry

PS. Sudden thought (rare things I must cherish!) Does anyone know if the sunroof from the donor is suitably sized to be used on the 'halo' cars in lieu of a Bikini sunshield?

Ross

Goblin Guru
So you are talking about this piece of glass? I wonder how wide it is.
93-02 Camaro

Imacflier

Ross,

Yep, that the piece of glass....another possibility, possibly with better sizing and initial shape would be the Corvette.

Sure would be nice to have CAD drawing of the existing frame so I could play around with these possible glass hatch solutions.......

Larry

G Atsma

Goblin Guru
Windshield glass is different than side or rear glass. Windshields need to be laminated, side and rear do not.

Imacflier

You are quite correct as to the necessity of the rear glass being required to be laminated. However, if you check you will discover that they ARE often laminated, as for example the F-body.

Larry

Dale E

A bit to wide, and most states will not allow the lines of the heater in the drivers view. However, my BirkinS3 seven has a heated front windscreen, but you can not see the lines unless you deliberately look for them.

I believe I measured Brad's (George's) Goblin at 44 inches at the front hoop tubes, when we were in Arkansas at a meet up.

(Copied from a forum post, so your measurements might be different)
The Top Is Rounded An Measures 45 1/4 The Bottom Is Squared And Measures 46 1/2 .
Printed On The Glass Is The Following , So I Believe It To Be Original On A 69 Z28
Soft-Ray
Safety Flo-Lite
AS-2 XV
Solid Tempered
DOT 15 M75
Hope This Helps .

Dale