Accusump oil system

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Question: where in the flow does the oil go through the oil cooler? Is it before or after the oil filter - since I'm assuming the oil sent to the filter is also the same boss as the cooler on the engine?
I need confirmation, but looks like from pump to cooler then flows from outside of filter inwards exiting the bottom into the galley.

Last edited:

dastrups

Anybody know the warm engine idle pressure? Trying to decide between a manual valve or an EPC. Also thinking of doing the Derale oil cooler and OTTP oil cooler plate and then Use a T fitting for the accusump for the oil cooler return line to run to and run the accusump line back through the oil cooler plate. Newbie here. Trying to learn as I go. Any advice is much appreciated.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
The manual valve is significantly cheaper but if you can't reach it from the driver's seat you're probably not going to want to use that setup as the valve needs to be closed before the engine stops.
I also got the OTTP oil cooler adapter and a Derale cooler for my setup. I debated setting it up like ccannx with the fitting coming off the stock cooler where the pressure sensor was but I'm skeptical that the stock system has a check valve to prevent the oil from flowing the wrong way if the pressure drops and the accusump starts pushing oil in. It doesn't really matter which line going to the cooler you T off of as long as you put a check valve in there and it's facing the correct direction but ideally you'd want to put it as close to the engine on the return line as possible.

Ross

Goblin Guru
The oil pump might be a positive displacement pump, so it would prevent oil from free flowing back into the oil pan when the Accusump system is active. If that is true, it introduces a new issue... it will be pumping air into the pressurized oil system. I think the air will mix with the Accusump oil, and be pumped thru the system. Not optimal, but better than no oil.

dastrups

The oil pump might be a positive displacement pump, so it would prevent oil from free flowing back into the oil pan when the Accusump system is active. If that is true, it introduces a new issue... it will be pumping air into the pressurized oil system. I think the air will mix with the Accusump oil, and be pumped thru the system. Not optimal, but better than no oil.
Can you avoid this by routing the accusump directly to the oil pan?

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Hopefully the Accusump detects pressure drop, introduces oil then that oil pumps through (least path of resistance) and supplies the pan with oil for the pump. Once the pump is picking up it provides more pressure than the Accusump and the pressure sensor shuts off the Accusump valve. There is a lot of talk of not using check valve's due to putting a consistent oil pressure drop in the system.

Its really just for those Oh Crap ! moments when the engine is starving for oil.

Could you break an oil pump with that little air pressure ?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If nothing else, the spinning pump will push the oil back so in effect be a check valve. I wonder how well this system could work with a non-running motor to prime it after it was setting. I plumbed in an oil pump at the low pressure switch to prime my new ATK motor since I figure it has been setting a long time, but I'm not sure how much of the oil might have been pumped directly into the pan vs pumping into the rest of the block. I'm going to pump some more through while spinning the motor over when I get ready to do my initial start-up.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
If nothing else, the spinning pump will push the oil back so in effect be a check valve. I wonder how well this system could work with a non-running motor to prime it after it was setting. I plumbed in an oil pump at the low pressure switch to prime my new ATK motor since I figure it has been setting a long time, but I'm not sure how much of the oil might have been pumped directly into the pan vs pumping into the rest of the block. I'm going to pump some more through while spinning the motor over when I get ready to do my initial start-up.
Yes, the electronic valve is wired to the acc power. A switch on the dash allows you to turn the pump on while the engine is off. When you hit the power the pressure switch detects no pressure because the motor is off and primes the motor with oil before you start it.

dastrups

In talks with John at Powell race parts to have him make me a baffled oil pan. He seems to think the accusump system is not really all that effective but I can't really remember what he said about why that is. I may still do the accusump system regardless. I have a hard time believing that but I am no expert. Maybe it had something to do with what Ross was saying.

dastrups

The accusump is meant to keep oil pressure in the oil pathways. Dumping to the pan would not supply the motor real time like plumbing straight into the oil path.
Makes sense. I really am so new to all of this that I am sure people are shaking their head haha.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Some of the Accusump kits have a check valve, some don't.

"The Check Valve ensures all the oil being discharged out of an Accusump goes to lubricate the engine bearings and is not fed back toward the pump. For use in systems where a remote oil filter or a cooler is used."

Eventually I found an article explaining how it works.
There is a diagrams showing the oil leaving the Accusump accumulator, and only flowing to the engine, not the pump.

The Ecotec has a Rotor Oil Pump with 9 internal lobes, and 8 external lobes. I haven't found any info yet telling me if it will pump air or not.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Accusump instructions Here show an example of piping straight into oil passages. It would be nice to know if oil backflow would have any negative impact on the pump.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Some of the Accusump kits have a check valve, some don't.

"The Check Valve ensures all the oil being discharged out of an Accusump goes to lubricate the engine bearings and is not fed back toward the pump. For use in systems where a remote oil filter or a cooler is used."

Eventually I found an article explaining how it works.
There is a diagrams showing the oil leaving the Accusump accumulator, and only flowing to the engine, not the pump.

The Ecotec has a Rotor Oil Pump with 9 internal lobes, and 8 external lobes. I haven't found any info yet telling me if it will pump air or not.
Even if it pumped air, it wouldn't be able to create as much pressure as if it was pumping oil so the accusump will take over forcing the check valve closed and lubricating the engine until the pump is back to pumping oil.

Ross

Goblin Guru
I doubt oil backflow would have any negative impact on the pump.
Thanks for the instructions. It helps me understand it.