Add-on brake proportioning valve

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
That’s just about where mine is set. It may take a little fine tuning once you burn in the rears, but that’s an easy adjustment.

baustin

I agree, the proportioning valve is well worth any goblin having. I haven't tried to do any actual data testing to see the improvement but I feel like the braking capability is massively improved. Braking was good before, but it's great after the valve was added.

Of course when braking at the limit of grip, the front will nose dive and the rear will lift which decreases the maximum braking force the rear tires can transfer before lockup. However, the brake setup with the cobalt brake booster is so severely biased to the front wheels that the back brakes are almost only useful for the parking brake till you add the proportioning valve.

I don't recall if the brake booster is smaller on the non-SS cobalts (thinking it is), but I'm not sure if the bias is better with the smaller booster or if it's just scaled down vs the SS boosters.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
We have a brake proportioning kit and are waiting for the mounts to come in.

We are using the Wilwood proportioning valve and it is mounted just under the steering column and within reach while you are fastened in.

This replaces the small line that goes from your master cylinder to the front brake tee.

I will post about them when the mounts come in.

WarmPepsi

View attachment 33531

We are using the Wilwood proportioning valve and it is mounted just under the steering column and within reach while you are fastened in.
View attachment 33530
This replaces the small line that goes from your master cylinder to the front brake tee.

View attachment 33532

I'll politely stop with the idea of throwing mine on. I've already got the valve, would you guys sell the clamps & new lines when the time comes?

Looks like i'll need to order something of decent size so it fits in the box. :cool:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I'll politely stop with the idea of throwing mine on. I've already got the valve, would you guys sell the clamps & new lines when the time comes?

Looks like i'll need to order something of decent size so it fits in the box. :cool:
I'm sorta interested in the same thing, although shipping for the brake lines may be more than it's worth to try and mount it at the dash.

WarmPepsi

I'm sorta interested in the same thing, although shipping for the brake lines may be more than it's worth to try and mount it at the dash.
I'm thinking i'll try to include 2 sets.... when the wife gives the "ok" to order a full kit (since I didn't build mine). :D

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru

View attachment 33531

View attachment 33530

View attachment 33532

Can we order just the lines and mounts?

TravMac

Finally got to adding one of these to my car. Put it on the pedal box using a hole that was already there. Tucked it away nice! But something interesting not mentioned here yet...

Was going to cut off and reuse the goblin fittings with the newly bent line, but realized we didnt have the flare tool for the T-fitting hardware end. It looks like the provided lines use the DIN single flare instead of a single or SAE bubble flare. We had some extra hardware, so used that and everything seems to have sealed so far. Just found it interesting that folks should know if you'd planned on reusing anything. While I'm posting... would there be any reason for one flare vs the other (DIN shown below)?

PXL_20220717_024036092.jpgPXL_20220717_024028113.jpg

Last edited:

Chubbs

Finally got to adding one of these to my car. But something interesting not mentioned here yet...

Was going to cut off and reuse the goblin fittings with the newly bent line,
I'm not sure anyone else has cut anything. I just disconnected the lines, rebent one of them, added a new one, and put it all back together. No reason to cut anything, and no need to reflare anything. The line I added was bought pre-made, so the flares were already done.

I did however notice that I have a variety of different sizes of fittings on mine. I'm not sure if the flare ends are any different or not, but they are definitely different sizes. Seems like a parts bin special.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure anyone else has cut anything. I just disconnected the lines, rebent one of them, added a new one, and put it all back together. No reason to cut anything, and no need to reflare anything. The line I added was bought pre-made, so the flares were already done.
I did the exact same thing. Precut and bubble flared lines that I massaged in to place. It’s not show car quality but it works.

Sluggonaut

Goblin Guru
I did however notice that I have a variety of different sizes of fittings on mine. I'm not sure if the flare ends are any different or not, but they are definitely different sizes. Seems like a parts bin special.
Mine has different size fittings as well. Reading through build logs and other posts, this seems to be the norm.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
We are waiting on the mounts from the laser cutter, hopefully, they will be here soon.
Are you guys still waiting on the mounts, my kit is shipping very soon and wou like to purchase and add to my shipment?

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Are you guys still waiting on the mounts, my kit is shipping very soon and would like to purchase and add to my shipment?
I'm curious as well. I bent my own tubes but would very much like this instead. My bending job is adequate but looks uggo