Add-on brake proportioning valve

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I think I need to do this. I had my first "under duress" hard brake today when an idiot 4 cars in front of me, decided to turn left without signalling. Needless to say, the three other cars in front of me slammed on their brakes at the last minute, and so did I ... left two nice long, thick patches of rubber with the front tires.
Ark, glad your brake test didn't end in a rebuild. I consider brakes the second most critical safety item in the car - right after the human in the driver's seat! ;)

Dsteinhorst

Instead of this mod, "downgrading" to 10 inch brakes in the front is an option, and is arguably less work. I've had good results after 3k miles and several autocrosses.

DCMoney

Goblin Guru
Added a proportioning valve. Like many I did not wish to purchase a bubble flare tool for a single use and could not locate one for rental or to borrow. Purchased a 12 in line (CNE-312) and bent the existing line and new line as shown. Valve is hidden but adjustable without raising the hood and the plumbing was only 6 bucks.View attachment 27140View attachment 27141
Great idea buying an off the shelf item instead of making a new line!

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
It’s been over a year since I added my brake proportioning valve and to tell you the truth, I have pretty much set it and forgot about it. 12 autocross or so and it performs exactly how I want it too.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It’s been over a year since I added my brake proportioning valve and to tell you the truth, I have pretty much set it and forgot about it. 12 autocross or so and it performs exactly how I want it too.
I second that.
since I had a chance to ride at autoX while Coop drove my Goblin this weekend, I found myself watching the tires and suspension as we hurled through corners. Heck of a lot going on there for sure. Coop tends to hit the brakes a little later and harder than me. We had no lock ups of the front at all.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I'm still debating doing this. I know I should, but ... I don't (and won't) autox, so I don't know. I know for a fact, I won't be buying a tool for a single use.

Decisions, decisions...

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
I'm still debating doing this. I know I should, but ... I don't (and won't) autox, so I don't know. I know for a fact, I won't be buying a tool for a single use.

Decisions, decisions...
Under “normal” driving conditions (if that is even possible in a Goblin), you may not get near a lock up condition. However, under some spirited driving on 200+ tread wear tires, the public roads are not a very safe place to have ANY lock up. Just a thought. :)

WarmPepsi

I bought the valve and the 12” premade piece (like $10). Will be doing this when I pull the hood for the first time. This car won’t see the track but I’ve had my share of days running cars on the track and threshold braking is non existent with “street” tires in this machine. Quick and easy fix with great adjustability!

Will be in it $60 in parts and some brake fluid…. Which bleeding the brakes was on my list anyways.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Yep. This has nothing to do with racing. Some type of brake prop needs to be on all of them. To me, this is the most simple, affective and cost efficient way to do it.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I bought the valve and the 12” premade piece (like $10). Will be doing this when I pull the hood for the first time. This car won’t see the track but I’ve had my share of days running cars on the track and threshold braking is non existent with “street” tires in this machine. Quick and easy fix with great adjustability!

Will be in it $60 in parts and some brake fluid…. Which bleeding the brakes was on my list anyways.
Good deal. Hopefully you can get it all done in one shot. I have done a few of these and still goof up. :(

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
It is interesting in the past year that the guys here in Houston have had this valve installed how many times we all have all backed it off just a little more. I think we have finally arrived at something close to balanced braking.

It goes without saying that the front brakes pads will NEVER get replaced in my lifetime...... :0

Chubbs

I finally got around to installing mine. Like a fool, I don't have any pictures (I'll try to get some), but I mounted the valve where it can be easily reached through the driver's suspension, just behind the radiator. Maximum restriction (and therefore less front brakes) is with the valve all the way out, and I went 2 turns in from that.

I think it's just luck, but the brakes seem perfectly balanced with that setup. The rear starts chirping a bit, and then the fronts lock, which tells me they are pretty close. I will probably turn the knob in another turn, so the fronts lock just a bit earlier. Obviously I want balanced braking, but I also don't want the rears locking first and putting me in the ditch. A little safety is necessary.

I can't wait to try it out on track or an AutoX course. Without actual data it's hard to tell what a difference it made, but it definitely feels like it stops faster now. For a street goblin, the stock brakes are very safe with the fronts locking so early, and are probably adequate. But for track work, this mod is a must-have in my opinion. Plus, I'm only out $60 I think, or maybe less. About $40 for the valve, and another $10 for the pre-made line I bought, plus taxes and shipping. I even reused my stock brake line, so I only had to buy one new one.

Great mod guys. Simple, effective, cheap, and lightweight. I can't really think of a reason not to do this one.