Adding coolant temp and oil pressure gauge

Goblin Graber

I’m working on an L61 and looking for good places to add senders for an oil pressure gauge and a coolant temp gauge.

CBM sells a 12mm oil pressure adapter and gives you this picture. Anyone care to tell me where this spot is? I can’t seem to find it.
6DF711E0-4273-4AA3-B691-102734AC45FA.png

For the coolant temp I was thinking of drilling and tapping the thermostat housing. Is there a problem doing that, or a better place to put a coolant temp sender? I can easily get a 1 1/4” hose splice with an 1/8” npt port but that looks cheesy.

Towerdog

Goblin Guru
I’m working on an L61 and looking for good places to add senders for an oil pressure gauge and a coolant temp gauge.

CBM sells a 12mm oil pressure adapter and gives you this picture. Anyone care to tell me where this spot is? I can’t seem to find it.
View attachment 19714

For the coolant temp I was thinking of drilling and tapping the thermostat housing. Is there a problem doing that, or a better place to put a coolant temp sender? I can easily get a 1 1/4” hose splice with an 1/8” npt port but that looks cheesy.

Attachments

Goblin Graber

Ok I found that spot but that adapter they sell is screwed into the hole that my engine has a low oil pressure switch. Can I eliminate that and just replace it with my new one?

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Ok I found that spot but that adapter they sell is screwed into the hole that my engine has a low oil pressure switch. Can I eliminate that and just replace it with my new one?
Yes instead of having a electrical warning light come on dash, You will have a gauge with your new set up

Ross

Goblin Guru
Or you could put the oil sensor in the hole that was made for it, and leave the oil pressure switch alone, and fully functional.
I removed the sensors on either side of the plug, and heated the block with a torch for about a minute, and got the block warm. Then the thread lock released enough for me to remove the plug.

Goblin Graber

Or you could put the oil sensor in the hole that was made for it, and leave the oil pressure switch alone, and fully functional.
I removed the sensors on either side of the plug, and heated the block with a torch for about a minute, and got the block warm. Then the thread lock released enough for me to remove the plug.
Mine is like the alldata pic in that post with the sensor there. It doesn’t have a plug like your LSJ did.

Ross

Goblin Guru
So your car already has an oil pressure sensor in it?
Maybe you just need a CAN bus gauge to read the value off of the GMLAN.
If you have access to HP Tuners, you can check if the oil pressure data is populated. Maybe an OBDII reader can tell you.
I have heard that you can buy a one sensor for both oil pressure and temperature. I'm thinking I need to upgrade sensors.

Update:
Oh, GM put the oil pressure switch in that hole. Well, I guess you could put a Tee on it, and have 2 sensors off of the one oil port, or skip the oil switch.

Last edited:

Brian74

Goblin Guru
What I found after some research is best way seems to be to add a tee fitting at the oil pressure switch.

Goblin Graber

I did some more digging on some cobalt forums too. It does seem like that place is the most accurate. I’m going to put the new sensor from the gauge set in the factory location then move the factory switch for the idiot light to one of these spots with a 12mm adapter.
051BBBA7-CF7F-488E-8367-B8C935D9AC80.jpeg