Adjusting steering wheel alignment

SACTX

Because I used Corbeau A4 seats with their adjustable brackets and I’m only 5’7, I was needing to adjust my steering wheel down to be able to see over it. To mount the seats, I used 1” square tube at the front and bolted the back straight down. The seats are low and forward. I ran into a problem moving the wheel down. As you lower it down it also moves more towards the center of the car.

I came up with a solution. By shimming the driver’s side less than the passenger side, I was able to pivot the wheel to almost center of the drivers seat. I had to drill out the mounting holes to 1/2 of an inch and use washers. I tightened them until they started to form the metal and will probably back them up with some more support but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out right now.

I used Grade 8 3/8-16 bolts and aluminum spacers, 3/4” outside diameter, from McMaster. For me, a 1” long spacer on the drivers side paired with a 1 1/2” spacer in the passenger side worked best. I may end up using some 1/4 and half inch spacers on the back bolts to lessen the angle and tension on the system. To do that, I’d need a 1 1/2 and 2 1/4 on the front bolts to maintain the location.

If you feel that you want to center steering wheel but lowering it is a problem, you can leave the drivers side bolt without a spacer and put a 1/4-1/2 inch tall spacer on the passenger side bolt and shift it towards the driver side.

This change also pulls the steering shaft away from the clutch pedal switch contact.

Attachments

Fozda

Goblin Guru
Awesome! I was just about to start looking into moving the steering wheel. Now it'll be effortless! Thanks!