Advice on my kit list.

wallace58

I plan on ordering the following.
Manual SS SC, 5-lug, Full Cage, Easy entry door bars, Hood, Extended windscreen, Foot well cover, Aluminum side panels, Engine cover, Wide fenders, Wing Mount, Headlights, side mirrors, license plate mount, Led tail lights, Button panels, FX1 seat package, Anodized shifter kit, Rear coil over kit, heat exchanger duct kit, tow bar package, steering wheel kit, steering rack limiter kit, Braided brake hoses.

Not sure about solid transmission mounts, upgraded shifter bell crank and master cylinder clamp. What do you all advise?

jirwin

Goblin Guru
Regarding the shifter, as someone who has had the stock shifter, group buy shifter, and finally DFs new shifter - just get the new shifter. Night and day over the stock one.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Solid transmission mounts - yes
DF shifter kit - preferred over trying to make the stock Cobalt shifter work well - won't need to order the upgraded shifter bell crank
The master cylinder clamp - the one that looks like a tiny coat hanger - should come with the kit
Everything else on your list - yes

Chubbs

I know you didn't ask, but....

if you're planning on swapping wheels, I would advise swapping to the 4 lug hubs, or getting the hubs redrilled to 5x114. The stock 5 lug size (5x110) is really tough to find wheels for. In wider sizes (9 inch and up) there are only a small handful available, and they will cost an extra 20% more than the same wheel in one of the other bolt patterns.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I wish I had done the shift kit, tow kit and steering wheel kit all at buying. The only two I’m not into is the duct kit and engine cover but those are just personal preferences. All the other item are great.

wallace58

Placed my order today. Added solid mounts for a F23 and also ordered a new F23 due to my F35 being full of metal. Strange the car ran so well and shifted fine. I like the idea of a zero mile trans anyway. Thanks again to all the good advice.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Don't misplace that "F35 only" block to bellhousing spacer! I've heard that sad story too many times! (I'm pretty sure it is F35 only? Correct me if I'm mistaken!) All I know is that if you need one, you're inna spot!

comegetjoe

Goblin Guru
Placed my order today. Added solid mounts for a F23 and also ordered a new F23 due to my F35 being full of metal. Strange the car ran so well and shifted fine. I like the idea of a zero mile trans anyway. Thanks again to all the good advice.
Yay! Another "just ordered" member! Welcome!

SmsDetroit

Goblin Guru
You may want to consider the double door bars instead of easy entry. The standard doors are not bad getting into but you may feel a little open with the east entry. Double door bars look like a happy medium

Lndshrk Steve

Detach steering wheel is a must on all of them.
I don't know . . . I've got #345 with an open cage and full door bars. Standard 13" wheel and NO detaching steering wheel. I just slide the seat back, climb in and slide it forward. I am only 5' 8" and 130 pounds, but I'm also 68 years old. And I'm use to formula cars . . . so these are big.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I have a few more beers on ya, it’s gotta go. :p

I can jump in and out with the wheel installed on my full cage, full door frame, but it’s much easier without.

LLBenJ

I'd also recommend the detach steering wheel. Leaving the wheel in place isolates your turn signal stalk for a major break event getting in and out. I decided to go with sliders on the my seats and that was a very good choice. Full race cage and late model extended track frame.

If you decide to keep the stock 5x110 hubs and order wheels...like from tirerack or elsewhere....search for wheels under a Chevy Malibu and you'll get more than a few results. I bought new hubs for the car at all four corners, stuck with the stock 5x110 lugs, and found plenty of wheels available.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
If you decide to keep the stock 5x110 hubs and order wheels...like from tirerack or elsewhere....search for wheels under a Chevy Malibu and you'll get more than a few results. I bought new hubs for the car at all four corners, stuck with the stock 5x110 lugs, and found plenty of wheels available.
You can also get spacers to go from 5x100 to 5x(whatever) easily. I’ve got the 5x114 hubs drilled by DF and happy with it. But if I found some rad wheels with a different bolt pattern, I’d just convert it with spacers.
I recommend at least some of spacer for the rears anyways, the rear is more narrow than the front so the spacers can push it out to make the rears wider across. It helps keep the front end pointing front.