Aftermarket rear coilover strut

Adam

Administrator
Staff member
We were finally able to get our hands on a pair of coilover Cobalt strut replacements and we really like the results. The coilover is single adjustable like the front shocks and uses a common sized spring to make it easy to buy different rates. Also, unlike the stock Cobalt struts, the ride height is easy to adjust.

IMG_20170404_092229.jpg

The coilover is an assembly from BC Racing. It has a lower bracket that fits the Cobalt knuckle. The body of the shock cartridge is threaded so that it can screw into the bracket. A tapered nut sets the height of the cartridge.

IMG_20170414_141548.jpg

A standard spring is used instead of the odd sized Cobalt spring. This makes it easy to find different rates for tuning purposes. The lower spring seat is made up of a flat nut and a lock nut just like the front coilovers.

BC Racing's upper seat is designed to fit the stock Cobalt mounts. Because of this, we have to use our own spring seat. For testing, we just repurposed a slip on spring cap and machined a spacer to fit. In the future, this will be a one piece cap that we will make in house.

IMG_20170414_141619.jpg

The coilover kit will come with the lower brackets, strut cartridges, cartridge nuts, lock nuts, spring seats, springs, bump stops, machined upper caps, washers and nuts.

Kit price: $770

Let me know if you have any questions.

AleX1/9

Nice Adam! What length / spring rate are you using?

I'd love a pair of those QA1 tophat spacer adapter thingy's as I've already bought the QA1 setup for the back.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add some more info to it because these are questions that I had. They were just now answered upon receiving the rear kit. The rear coilover kit comes with two new 9"x2.5" 400 lb/in springs. These new springs will replace the front springs which are 300 lb/in. So you'll end up with 400 lb/in in the front and 300 lb/in in the back in a stock Goblin setup.

JERMzSS

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to add some more info to it because these are questions that I had. They were just now answered upon receiving the rear kit. The rear coilover kit comes with two new 9"x2.5" 400 lb/in springs. These new springs will replace the front springs which are 300 lb/in. So you'll end up with 400 lb/in in the front and 300 lb/in in the back in a stock Goblin setup.
Do you mind if i ask what the kit set you back price wise?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
So the bottom four nuts and bolts to connect the rear coilovers to the knuckle are not supplied in the kit is that correct?
Yea you can use the stock bolts or adjustable camber bolts (suggested). If you stick with the stock bolts you'll have to drill out the hub holes to get the camber you're looking for which is not really worth the effort and risk.

$30

Kenny123

Yea you can use the stock bolts or adjustable camber bolts (suggested). If you stick with the stock bolts you'll have to drill out the hub holes to get the camber you're looking for which is not really worth the effort and risk.

$30
Oh great to know thank you. I've never even seen these adjustable camber bolts before. Learn something new every minute with this kit.