Aftermarket solid shifter?

dastrups

Yes, let’s start a list. I don’t think we are to a point to start a group buy thread but I can keep a running post for people who are interested.

1. Me
2. @Peregrinus
3. @Fozda
4. @Towerdog
5. @OptimizePrime
6. @TheNuker ?
7. @Ark :D
8. @Lechlis ?
9. @WYGoblin
10. @comegetjoe
11. @Vwsaabvt
12. @Lokian
13. @Waterdriver
14. @JERMzSS
15. @AZmoto
16. @Lando217
17. @ATMironov
18. @Gtstorey
19. @JBuild
20. @PaulPerger
21. @Sparvy

Everyone else, reply or send me a private message to let me know. I will put you down on this list. Once I get an idea of actual cost I will start a separate group buy thread where we can confirm actual orders. This is just for interest and to try and get multiple done at one time to lower cost.
Add me too!

dastrups

Do you think there is too much flex in the tunnel cover when shifting to 5th and reverse. Maybe I’m just overthinking this. Probably fine.

dastrups

Also I think the side to side stiffness is determined by that spring on the side. The stock shifter spring is nothing compared to that.

Peregrinus

Do you think there is too much flex in the tunnel cover when shifting to 5th and reverse. Maybe I’m just overthinking this. Probably fine.
Some people have added spacers under the wings of the shifter mount on the tunnel cover to stiffen the entire assembly up, if that makes sense.

Between the floor bars there by the bottom of the seats and the bottom of the shifter mount.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Sure can. It feels more direct to the F35 transmission. Stiffening the tunnel cap and shifter base made a big difference, and the shifter doesn't flex like the plastic one did. Also reduced slop by removing the shifter cable reversers.

SACTX

Adding supports would help a lot. I actually drilled out an extra hole through the cap and tunnel, right in the middle of the plate on the drivers side, and added a screw there. It still flexes. It's the plate that flexes, not the cap. It cut it down a lot and is much more solid. I might do this.

Just changing this shifter makes it feel more connected. Much more so than in the original installation. I don't think you can see in the video, but I am able to shift with a flip of the finger or wrist on the 1-4 shifts, and the engagement is SOLID. Before, it felt like I was shifting through peanut butter, especially 1st to 2nd.

As Ross said, adding the struts and getting the cable reversers tighter would take it to a whole different level. I've ordered some more ball joints, rod ends, and adapters to get rid of the ball connections and get the reversers tighter.

It's night and day now, I can only imagine what that will be like.

SACTX

OK guys, I just looked online, working to put together packages for people that don't want to piecemeal it themselves, and I saw that the shifter has 9 offers pending.

I think everyone that has on offer in on the shifter should withdraw the offer or let it expire. I think if we get everyone together, we can get better pricing from the seller or get them straight from China.

We should have the pricing for the base worked out in a day or two and I've found a separate supplier for the rod ends and ball joint linkages that cut a lot of the cost for those items out, if they're bought in bulk. Just hold for a day or two and it'll make it better for everyone. I think I can save everyone a lot of money on this thing if we all work together.

Thanks!

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
If the pattern is so tight (or to tight) maybe a longer shifter handle might be a better option to get it up higher vs the 3/4" plate? That would increase leverage slightly and it may be easier to come up with a better (stiffer/reinforced) steel plate that replaces the stock mounting plate completely. I received my shifter yesterday, but barely had time to look at it, so I don't know how much work would be involved with a longer shifter, although a hex adapter on top would add 1"-1.5".

The side to side force is controlled by the spring on the shifter so it's possible that a lighter spring could be installed.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
OK guys, I just looked online, working to put together packages for people that don't want to piecemeal it themselves, and I saw that the shifter has 9 offers pending.

I think everyone that has on offer in on the shifter should withdraw the offer or let it expire. I think if we get everyone together, we can get better pricing from the seller or get them straight from China.

We should have the pricing for the base worked out in a day or two and I've found a separate supplier for the rod ends and ball joint linkages that cut a lot of the cost for those items out, if they're bought in bulk. Just hold for a day or two and it'll make it better for everyone. I think I can save everyone a lot of money on this thing if we all work together.

Thanks!
I went through your list yesterday and ordered all of the McMaster-Carr pieces. Ended up being $84 shipped.

SACTX

If the pattern is so tight (or to tight) maybe a longer shifter handle might be a better option to get it up higher vs the 3/4" plate? That would increase leverage slightly and it may be easier to come up with a better (stiffer/reinforced) steel plate that replaces the stock mounting plate completely. I received my shifter yesterday, but barely had time to look at it, so I don't know how much work would be involved with a longer shifter, although a hex adapter on top would add 1"-1.5".

The side to side force is controlled by the spring on the shifter so it's possible that a lighter spring could be installed.
The bottom ball joint linkage can be screwed in further. It looked like I had about 3/8" left that it can be screwed in. Also the left to right adjustment is in the two holes. I'm on the bottom hole. The top hole would expand the pattern and lighten the load. That or extending the rod.

I went through your list yesterday and ordered all of the McMaster-Carr pieces. Ended up being $84 shipped.
No problem. For anyone that hasn't ordered that stuff, don't.

Peregrinus

Thanks for all the hard work on this, it's much appreciated. Gonna have to buy ya a beer after it's all said and done!

Would love to see a package price on the plate and linkage goodies for sure, I already have the shifter itself, Excited to see the finished product!

The shifting in the video looks considerably better than my stock shifter for sure, I couldn't believe how bad the stock shifter was.

dastrups

Thanks!
I unfortunately purchased the shifter a week ago but I am still very interested in purchasing the base.

WYGoblin

I unfortunately purchased the shifter a week ago but I am still very interested in purchasing the base.
I did the same thing. Already got the shifter but was waiting on ordering the rest till the base was done. I figured I would lose the small stuff but the shifter is, hopefully, too big for me to misplace

Cheddar

Hey Sactx,

I Followed you here from facebook on getting my ass on that list! Was going to order the shifter today, but see I should just wait so I will do so. However just make sure I'm added!

SACTX

Hey Sactx,

I Followed you here from facebook on getting my ass on that list! Was going to order the shifter today, but see I should just wait so I will do so. However just make sure I'm added!

Here you go!

SACTX

Hey Sactx,

Glad you joined us as well! This is a great forum!