Aftermarket Upgrades

Gary A.

getting ready to autocross my goblin and was wondering if you could get aftermarket upgrades for a cobalt and fit them on the goblin

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Such as?
Most suspension, no, other than I think the Goblin rear coilovers maybe the same as front strut replacements, but there are other post on rear coilovers to get those without looking for cobalt parts.

Brakes, not really.

Engine upgrades, yes except cold air intakes probably won't work.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The front suspension is fully adjustable, about the only 'upgrade' item would be the spring rate on the QA1 shock. A few builders have put a front swaybar on with mixed results. The rear suspension is somewhat limited to coil over struts, spring rate, suspension bushings and a swaybar. Unless you plan to add a front swaybar, the aftermarket Cobalt swaybars are far too stiff, as Gtstorey mentioned. The rear strut geometry is pretty much fixed, unless you want to modify things. A couple builders have gone down their own path with the rear suspension and put double a-arms on with extensive modifications.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I didn't think to point out the upgraded bushings available for the rear. I guess if you want to spend major money, you could get custom coilovers.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Meh. Run An Autocross and report back. You can have tons of fun without too many mods. I will suggest good tires and a proportioning valve on the brakes. That’ll make you stop without skidding.

Different springs will help, then it’s talent.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I had great results switching to a stiffer front spring, a lighter rear spring, and adding a base model cobalt sway bar in the rear.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
From the few Cobalts I've seen, a set of rear control arm bushings (the rear bushing of the control arm we relocate to the rear) should be considered a very high priority, if not a requirement. Not sure if this counts as an upgrade or maintenance though?

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
From the few Cobalts I've seen, a set of rear control arm bushings (the rear bushing of the control arm we relocate to the rear) should be considered a very high priority, if not a requirement. Not sure if this counts as an upgrade or maintenance though?
And use the MOOG heim joint type, not just the rubber. Keeps the arm from flexing under accel.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I did not replace my LCA bushings, I just got new LCA's. But, I didn't go the FE3/FE5 route for my rear suspension, so I will probably consider some of this as future upgrades.