Air Filter Placement

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I wish I knew enough about tuning to speculate what might be going on. The MAF thinks less air is going through causing it to cut fuel, when in reality more air is going through and should call for an increase? It looks like the wideband was maxing out lean with your a/f well above 20:1 for seconds at a time? It's a good thing this was at low throttle. I guess the motor was surging while this was happening?

All I can think that might be happening physically is the wind is causing high and low pressure areas around the MAF sensor causing it to not register it all. The additional straight run of pipe between the filter and sensor would likely help this, but of course I don't have any more (actually likely a little less) so I likely will run into the same problem. Maybe the fact that I'm horizontal vs vertical might help the situation since the speed of the car might force air in more consistently. I might try replacing the 3.25" K&N section with the DF supplied MAF mount and add some straight 3" tubing in front of it. Makes me wish I could TIG aluminum.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I was thinking about it myself and can’t quite make sense of it. I can see the MAF go from 4lbs down to almost .5 lbs, so it seems to see less air so it reduces the amount of fuel. But why does it see less air?? Maybe when the wind blows it’s creating a vacuum instead of adding air. I don’t think it can blow more air into the tube that the engine vacuum will allow. It can only disturb the air. Very interesting.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't think it's causing a vacuum because it looks like more air is passing through, at least the MAP goes up. I think it must cause to much turbulence within the tube and air to be unevenly distributed pass the MAF.

Could you actually feel it while driving?

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I've ordered one for mine, but it will be setting so close to the sensor I'm not sure what it will do. The face of the sensor is 1.5" from the end of the tube and the straightener is 0.5" thick.