Air Filter Size

Brian74

Goblin Guru
What size air filter are you running?

Has anyone done the math yet as far as CID, VE with full boost to determine the CFM requirements for their air filter?

If so, would like to compare notes, especially for turbocharged engines.

There seems to be an interesting bit of engineering math behind it; as well as opinions.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Per some rough calculations for a 2.0 liter 300HP = about 250CFM, maybe a little more if the engine is under boost. The 350CFM of the air filter supplied by DF is more than sufficient if being used.

Brian74

Goblin Guru
Per some rough calculations for a 2.0 liter 300HP = about 250CFM, maybe a little more if the engine is under boost. The 350CFM of the air filter supplied by DF is more than sufficient if being used.
Ah ok. I did not know they actually supplied an air filter. Perhaps why there is not much previous discussion on this topic.

SACTX

I would also like to know what size filter the ones running a tvs are using
I changed mine to the Edelbrock 43640. Edelbrock says it's suitable for engines up to 470. It's only slightly larger than the stock one and it has an inverted cone in the middle.

My goal with the TVS would put me pretty close to the top end of the DF supplied filter. Also, this one has adapters for intake tubes up to 4" if you want to get crazy on your intake piping.

Andrewlee92

I changed mine to the Edelbrock 43640. Edelbrock says it's suitable for engines up to 470. It's only slightly larger than the stock one and it has an inverted cone in the middle.

My goal with the TVS would put me pretty close to the top end of the DF supplied filter. Also, this one has adapters for intake tubes up to 4" if you want to get crazy on your intake piping.
Thanks thats was what I was wanting to know cause I will be running a 3in maf tube and piping

Tinkles

I would also like to know what size filter the ones running a tvs are using
On my Cavalier I kept with the 4" diameter of the LS1 throttle body and shoved the biggest AEM filter that I could into it. I plan on doing the same with the Goblin.

Tinkles

You mean ls4 throttle body and its 3in id and 3.25in od
Nope, LS1. Cavaliers are not drive by wire. It has been almost 10 years since I had the custom throttle body adapter made, but if I remember correctly the throttle blade on the LS1 is 3" and the opening of the TVS is 3", so just toss an adapter with a 3" I.D. in the middle and you have no reduction in flow. The opening of the LS1 flairs out to fit a 4" coupler nicely.

I have an LS2/LS3 to LS4 throttle body adapter and plan on using a cable drive converted LS2 throttle body on my Goblin.