Goblin Warning Light Eliminator (Airbag, Seatbelt & Tire Pressure + Bonus Features)

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
The new hardware design needs to be tested but I disassembled my donor, so I no longer have a test platform. As a result, I have to wait until I get my goblin wiring harness built.
A man with your knowledge the wire harness should be a breeze for you. GOOD LOOK

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
For the module to work properly, it needs to be inline with the TMPS (RCDLR) box. There would be 4 wire connections to be made:
  1. 12v (Tap into Red/White)
  2. 0v (Tap into Black/White)
  3. Low Speed GMLAN (Cut wire, join with vehicle side)
  4. Low Speed GMLAN (Cut wire, join with TPMS side)
If the vehicle in question does not have TPMS, you would only need the first three connections and they could be made anywhere in the vehicle. The remaining wires are I/O for future features (ie. seat belt reminder option).
Got it. I saw the number of wires in your project's harness and thought it was going to be more complicated than that.

Please remember, this is a project, not a well rounded product. No testing I have done has been in a running/moving Goblin and testing has been for a few hours at best. Real world testing could show that this idea or implementation is crap. I hope it works and is reliable so I can share it with others on the forum. That said, I do not want people to make design decisions based on this being available at some point.
Understood on all that. We will all continue to look forward to it, with reservations of course. :)

I'll add that, while my Goblin is not currently in a running/moving state, should you still need a testing dummy when that time comes, it's all yours.

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Small company that may be closed or running at a reduced level because of the beer flu. Some builders have used them with good results before the pandemic hit.

Anks329

Have you dealt with these people, I’ve sent text messages and email and no response
Just got my bcm back from them. It was radio silence until I texted asking about the status. I’ve got a little bit to go before I can power it up, so I won’t know if it was successfully reprogrammed or not till then.

WYGoblin

Have you dealt with these people, I’ve sent text messages and email and no response
I have sent them an email and they actually replied back fairly quick for me. They said they could reset the odo on the cobalt bcm easily. They can't do anything else with it though. They won't or can't reset to zero but can get it to under 100 miles. I was going to send mine in to reset to 100 miles.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Just got my bcm back from them. It was radio silence until I texted asking about the status. I’ve got a little bit to go before I can power it up, so I won’t know if it was successfully reprogrammed or not till then.
How long did it take

lksohm

That is really cool! Won't the title not match the odometer at that point? What issues could that cause if that vehicle was sold?
Also, what did they charge?

Anks329

How long did it take
It took me just over a week. I mailed it out on the 15 and got it back on the 26th. Memorial Day or Corona might have slowed down their processing time.

That is really cool! How does that effect titling and how much did they charge?

They charge $89 plus shipping to them. I used a medium flat rate box so shipping cost me $15. Not sure how this will impact titling. I’ll get to that hopefully later this summer.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
That is really cool! Won't the title not match the odometer at that point? What issues could that cause if that vehicle was sold?
In Missouri, it has no effect. I was surprised to find out in Missouri there is no law stating that a vehicle has to even have a odometer. Many older motorcycles don't even have one. However, if the vehicle has an odometer, it cannot be tampered without disclosure.

In Missouri, our Goblin is considered at 2018 (year built) and it is fully acceptable that it has a low or zero odometer. They have no tie in back to the donor whatsoever. Your state may be different.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Won't the title not match the odometer at that point?
My Goblin is titled as a 2019 Special Construction. It was titled with 5 miles on it.

What issues could that cause if that vehicle was sold?
None as long as it is all done before you title the car.

$90

bradr

Update: I was able to install my prototype interface on my Goblin and have been testing it for a few days now. It seems to be working well and the door pin output option is shutting down the BCM after the key is shut off - It is nice not not have the car powered up for 20 minutes after the key is shut off each time.

Next steps: Get a quote to have the hardware produced in volume and continue tweaking the software.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Congrats on the progress. I see you are up to 5 wires now. Is that extra wire the drivers door switch?
Are you looking for programming help? Or would that only slow you down?

bradr

Congrats on the progress. I see you are up to 5 wires now. Is that extra wire the drivers door switch?
Are you looking for programming help? Or would that only slow you down?
Yes, the 5th wire is tied to the drivers door pin and the module simply pulses it when the ignition is shut off so that the BCM thinks the door was opened and closed. If I leave the seat belt minder function in place, there will potentially be more optional connections.

Required Wiring:
  • Power
  • Ground
  • GMLAN (Car Side)
Optional Wiring:
  • GMLAN (TPMS Side - OPTIONAL)
  • Output 1 (Door Pin - OPTIONAL)
  • More to come?
As for programming, the core code has been written and working for some time. The only real update here is that it has actually been tested on the latest hardware design and in a Goblin rather than a full blown cobalt. Current list of bonus software crap to work on:
  • Add sub-menu for a few pre-defined "welcome" messages
  • Add "Gauge Sweep" function when ignition is turned on for visual interest
  • Test seat belt minder function - decide if keeping or dumping

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Brad, sounds like you are getting close. Put me in for one as it has the features I am looking for. As far as the seatbelt minder, many are using aftermarket seats and harnesses rather than stock. Would be good to make this switchable if possible to accommodate both ways to build - if too difficult turning this off gets my vote. :)