Alabama Registration Procedure

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I finally got my registration complete today, tag in hand. I'll go into depth on the procedure when I get time to pull it altogether. It is actually pretty simple, but the important part to remember is that if you buy a motor or transmission separately, they will insist on a notarized bill of sale for it.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Here is a what I submitted in the final form. I probably didn't have to submit all of my invoices for all of the misc items purchased, but I decided to overload them with paper, since it was hard to determine what they did need.

I purchased the transmission separately from DF since my donor had a cracked case and they kindly notarized a bill of sale months after I purchased it.

I'm not real sure that I had to supply them with the title of my donor, but I didn't have a notarized bill of sale for the motor or the donor so I sent them the original title to prove ownership. I was able to get it returned, but it took a call to get it done.

You will send the MCO from DF in with the submittal.

Alabama Requirements list from AL Dept of Revenue (ADR) after my first submittal.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Typically after 2-3 weeks you should receive a call from a state inspector to come check the numbers on the transmission and engine and install the State Assigned VIN plate. All he looked at were the numbers on Trans and Engine. There was no safety inspection of any type.

Mine took much longer and several calls to ADR since the first VIN plate got lost in the mail and the inspector just set on the paper work since he didn't have the plate. Then the person who handled the Assembled Vehicle paperwork had covid and was out for a week or two.

Once the VIN plate was installed, I received the title a few days later. Typically about a week, but they sent it overnight since mine had taken so long

Once I got the Assigned VIN plate, the registration was the same as any other vehicle in Alabama. I just took the title to the my local tag office and received the tag.

Last edited:

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I followed Gtstorey's method (above) and everything worked out perfectly fine. I did have to call Montgomery about where my paperwork was at after about 3-4 week, but she looked it over that day and said it was complete. I gave them every part receipt that I had during the build, just like GTS did.
Next step after submitting paper to Montgomery was having the Inspector come look at the car. He mostly talked about his projects, glanced over my build and riveted the VIN on. We signed some papers and he said those papers along with insurance were all needed to get a plate, which was correct.
Final step, getting the plate. I would recommend dealing with a person who has done the plate for a kit car before. The lady I had, while very polite, had to ask the more seasoned lady many questions. Between the two of them, we got it all sorted with no real issues. One thing I will note, it was about $650 with the taxes and all, but I did get a custom Barber Racing license plate. That added about $150 to the overall cost. If you go the personalize route, you'll be driving on a temporary tag for about a month to a month and a half. My proper plate arrive maybe 5 days before the temporary one expired. If you just get a plane (boring) plate you walk out with it that day.

Last edited:

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I don't remember mine being that expensive, but I may just have been happy to pay anything and finally have it done.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I don't remember mine being that expensive, but I may just have been happy to pay anything and finally have it done.
I had state ($230), county ($29) AND city ($202) sales tax. That, with the miscellaneous fees and the custom tag fee brought it to about $650.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I didn't have the city sales tax. I didn't think about about that since It's been a long time since I lived in city limits.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Dang Steve! You might even be able to drive it to visit my mess in GA! You've got some breathing room though, I will not return until at earliest January! Keep the Faith, Brother!:cool:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Great I may even see you driving legal when we slip on back to G'ville some time in early 24! I know we're in Galveston for Christmas but then we are working our way back east 300 miles at a time! I look forward to seeing it running!:cool: