Alabama Registration Procedure

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
No.

Who do you mean by DMV? State or county? Other than the antitheft inspection, which is done before the title is issued, no one has seen my car to even know what it looks like unless they took the time to dig online. I'm also unaware of anything in AL that prohibits "dune buggy" anyway.

What makes you ask?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I just took the paperwork from the inspector into my local Huntsville City DMV. They had a little confusion about HOW to register it but it was just some box checking they had to deal with. The girl working it was new and the more seasoned lady helped her get it all right. Other than that, there wasn't any issues.

I see street legal dune buggies around Huntsville from time to time, so there shouldn't be any issue even if they thing it's one.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I just took the paperwork from the inspector into my local Huntsville City DMV. They had a little confusion about HOW to register it but it was just some box checking they had to deal with. The girl working it was new and the more seasoned lady helped her get it all right. Other than that, there wasn't any issues.

I see street legal dune buggies around Huntsville from time to time, so there shouldn't be any issue even if they thing it's one.
That is actually the county office, not COH.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
I still didn't take mine up there for them to see, I only took the paperwork and the insurance plan.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Madison County no longer inspects vehicles prior to issuing tags. I don't know if that is true for all counties. I'm also not sure how the provision that allows for "Assembled Vehicles" may change the "no Dune Buggy".

Have you registered other vehicles in your county in the past few years? Did they personally inspect the vehicle? Madison County used to inspect out of state vehicle sales but not in state. Since Covid, they stopped all inspections.

95Blitz

Last thing that I registered that was looked at was an 2005 Kawi 636 but only because it was the first to be registered in the state.
No I didn't drive it up for them to look at, but was ask to show a picture of it, i showed them one from the completed thread that had panels and a hood.
I think i'm going to order the hood and side panels, I was going to make my own but I can mod the prebuilt a little easier.

I did end up with a tag. So all is kindof well.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Last thing that I registered that was looked at was an 2005 Kawi 636 but only because it was the first to be registered in the state.
No I didn't drive it up for them to look at, but was ask to show a picture of it, i showed them one from the completed thread that had panels and a hood.
I think i'm going to order the hood and side panels, I was going to make my own but I can mod the prebuilt a little easier.
The panels you 'could' make but buying would be mush easier. The hood would be pretty difficult (at least for me).

At least you got a tag even though it sounds like it's not 100% right. As long as it works I guess it's good enough though.

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hey guy's did the DMV give you any grief about the title maybe being revoked? Because it looks like a dune buggy?
Yes!, and it also bears slight resemblance to the 1968 Lunar Rover also designed by the SAME GM CORPORATION {and Boeing} for NASA, so what?! It bears a slight resemblance to The Eifel Tower as well. Heck people are always mistaking me for a fat Alfred Hitchcock! Revoked for what?, that it "MAY look like" a different vehicle? Every motorcycle LOOKS like The Safety Bicycle design of 1889? Heck, With your ride height your car is a dead ringer for a Gosh Dern Bugatti Veyron! The tires look like they came off a F-1 car! NOBODY RUNS SLICKS ON SAND. Good Gawd! Don't let them see a 76 Chrysler La Baron, it looks like a 73 Chevy Monte Carlo! And a Nova looks like a Omega looks like a Ventura looks like an Apollo and they all look like a Plymouth Duster. "It doesn't have a windshield and wipers" Really?, neither does virtually every motorcycle! You can't drive this contraption on the roads, it doesn't have an ash tray and cigar lighter! Define "road car"?, 4 wheels, proper lights, self propelled, which could also be a dune buggy. How in the heck do they allow the Oscar Mayer Wiener Mobile on their roads? I once saw a car that looks like a giant BANANA, just like one! Peel, stem, button and all! I'll admit, it wasn't ripe, but it seemed like a car to the people operating it. Get a Lawyer with a sense of humor, they'll show the state. The state must define what they will tag as road legal in order to describe anything as NOT road legal. And I pretty sure they will not define limits, for fear of loss of revenue, which is prolly a sin in their eyes.(As you are well aware, I look nothing like Alfred Hitchcock, he was British. Rant OFF)