All FL owners and future owners !!!!!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Now now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve seen this stuff before where 1 person refuses to do it, but another DMV thinks it’s perfectly fine. Seems to happen in every state.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Now now, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ve seen this stuff before where 1 person refuses to do it, but another DMV thinks it’s perfectly fine. Seems to happen in every state.
This is true, but would still be nervous. Hell, I have my title (Texas)and such and I’m still nervous. They have done this once to us, they’ll do it again. :confused:

hell, Jason got his, i got mine, then when Scott went to get his, the dmv lady was like “wait, y’all are putting these on the road?” :rolleyes: Ya. I’m not getting a title and pay for registration to drive on a private road only.

JPas914

I honestly think the guy is just giving him the run around because it's easier to say no than to do all the work that would be needed if he said yes....and they probably hate their own car and want to take it out on you. :D

Jareth

Goblin Guru
Great :mad: my frame is due to be started in a few weeks, I live in SWFL and now have to worry about this :(

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Great :mad: my frame is due to be started in a few weeks, I live in SWFL and now have to worry about this :(
Literally nothing to worry about. If I remember correctly, there is a very Goblin friendly inspector down there. And even if it gets denied, there is ALWAYS the Montana route which is super easy, just takes a little extra time and money.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Literally nothing to worry about. If I remember correctly, there is a very Goblin friendly inspector down there. And even if it gets denied, there is ALWAYS the Montana route which is super easy, just takes a little extra time and money.
I contacted the "Goblin Friendly" Inspector. He is located in Palm Beach County (I'm in Suwannee Co.). He told me unless you live in his county there is nothing he can do for you.

Jareth

Goblin Guru
If I have to go the Montana route doses it mater when it is created? Should it be created before purchase next month?

Or could i wait and try when the car is fully assembled to have it Titled in SWFL and then if that fails then create an LLC in Montana?

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Doesn’t matter. The way it works (short version) is that you create a company that you’re the owner of. You sell the vehicle to the company for business use and then the company titles and registers it in the state of Montana. It could be a 2020 or 2021 Goblin, or a civic, or a yerf dog 4 wheeler. Year, make and model doesn’t matter as it’s an asset that the business is purchasing.

chief404

Good to know that their is an inspector in Palm Beach who is cool with the goblin. Going to be getting my frame soon!

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
So I’ve been doing some digging around and speaking with a paralegal on interpreting these Florida Statutes. Here is the TLDR version:

Florida Process TL-41 qualifies the goblin to be TITLED in the state of Florida, not specifically registered. How the vehicle is classified as on-road or off-road is dependent on the inspector’s judgement as it can fall into either category. if they deem it to be for on-road use, then it should be registered just like a normal vehicle as it does not meet the definition of a street rod or custom vehicle per Florida Statute.

Detailed Review:

Florida Statute 320.01(1)(a): dictates it automobile for on road use
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, motorized scooters, micromobility devices, personal delivery devices and mobile carriers as defined in s. 316.003, special mobile equipment as defined in s. 316.003, vehicles that run only upon a track, bicycles, electric bicycles, swamp buggies, or mopeds.

Florida Statute 319.14(1)(c)5: QUALIFIES it as a kit car
5. “Kit car” means a motor vehicle assembled with a kit supplied by a manufacturer to rebuild a wrecked or outdated motor vehicle with a new body kit.

Florida Statute 319.14(1)(c)11a: DISQUALIFIES it as a custom vehicle
11. “Custom vehicle” means a motor vehicle that:
a. Is 25 years of age or older and of a model year after 1948 or was manufactured to resemble a vehicle that is 25 years of age or older and of a model year after 1948

Florida Statute 319.14(1)(c)12a: DISQUALIFIES it as a street rod
12. “Street rod” means a motor vehicle that:
a. Is of a model year of 1948 or older or was manufactured after 1948 to resemble a vehicle of a model year of 1948 or older

Florida Statute 317.0003(6): Establishes an off-road vehicle
(6) “Off-highway vehicle” means any ATV, two-rider ATV, ROV, or OHM that is used off the roads or highways of this state and that is not registered and licensed for highway use pursuant to chapter 320.

Florida Statute 317.003(9): Dictates it CAN BE an ROV
(9) “ROV” means any motorized recreational off-highway vehicle 80 inches or less in width which has a dry weight of 2,500 pounds or less, is designed to travel on four or more nonhighway tires, and is manufactured for recreational use by one or more persons. The term does not include a golf cart as defined in ss. 316.003 and 320.01 or a low-speed vehicle as defined in s. 320.01.

Florida Statute 317.0003(1): dictates it’s NOT an ATV
(1) “ATV” means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 55 inches or less in width which has a dry weight of 1,500 pounds or less, is designed to travel on three or more nonhighway tires, and is manufactured for recreational use by one or more persons.

We could not locate anywhere that the kit manufacturer had to be registered with the FLHSMV or the NHTSA.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
Just to update. Florida did turn me down. No reason was even given. There is a rumor that Florida will be revoking previously issued Titles & Tags. We shall see. Hope to have my Montana tags in the next 2 weeks. Even that was delayed when Montana required a new form (MV-121) a "fact sheet".

CncMan333

I am waiting on Montana as well. I insisted that Florida give me a written reason for the rejection and what I got was a photocopy of the statute page showing 317.003 with the part about ROV highlighted in yellow. It clearly says "designed for off road use", well I know the designer, and he would disagree I told them, but they replied that they have the right to decide what category the vehicle fits into.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I am waiting on Montana as well. I insisted that Florida give me a written reason for the rejection and what I got was a photocopy of the statute page showing 317.003 with the part about ROV highlighted in yellow. It clearly says "designed for off road use", well I know the designer, and he would disagree I told them, but they replied that they have the right to decide what category the vehicle fits into.
Let's see, 4 inches of suspension travel, low profile racing tires, 5 inches (maybe) of ground clearance, and less than 44 inches tall...yep, definitely an off road vehicle. o_O:(:mad: Dumba$$e$.