All FL owners and future owners !!!!!

HOBGOBLIN

Just got a call from Jacksonville regional DMV. The body kit is not NFTSA approved so I can not get a tittle. Talked to Adam at DF. He is in talks with NFTSA to get the language explained correctly in order to correct this issue. The supervisor did say he found a goblin in the system and that the tittle was being recalled. I do not know who he would not tell me.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Of all places... FLORIDA?!?! They let the blind/deaf/dumb drive on the road, that alone should be against NFTSA rules

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'd be really surprised if they had an actual list of "approved" kits. I can't imagine any agency that would want that much overhead.

Per this and this, I could see possibly needing some more documentation from DF, but I'm not seeing anything that would preclude titling and licensing a goblin as a kit car in Florida. If they don't want to title it as a "kit car" due to it not being a re-body type kit, there's a provision for an "assembled from parts" in the statue.

Zoom Zoom

Goblin Guru
Just got a call from Jacksonville regional DMV. The body kit is not NFTSA approved so I can not get a tittle. Talked to Adam at DF. He is in talks with NFTSA to get the language explained correctly in order to correct this issue. The supervisor did say he found a goblin in the system and that the tittle was being recalled. I do not know who he would not tell me.
They allow dune buggies that are tube framed, I just don’t get there reasoning.

HOBGOBLIN

I just got orders to Japan I leave last week of July, for three years this will sit in my garage I just want to drive my **** car

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I’ve spent the last hour looking through the Florida statues and not seeing anything specifying construction of body kits, just that the vehicle has to have one. It’s fiberglass just like a corvette body so I don’t understand the issue.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
They allow dune buggies that are tube framed, I just don’t get there reasoning.
They never have reasoning. :rolleyes:

When we (Texas) was going through all this, we got the same run around. A home built car is dangerous, but a homebuilt motorcycle is fine??? (Just an example).

Even now, if you submit pictures of a “naked” goblin, it’s a dune buggy. If you add the hood, it’s a car.

HOBGOBLIN

The Jacksonville office didn’t even know what to do. The supervisor called Ocala and the supervisor there told him no. I am going to call him Monday and ask for some kind of documentation that says it has to meet that standard. Also I am going to call the guy down in west palm that deals with kit cars and maybe he can give the Jacksonville office some “training”

jamesm

Goblin Guru
Do your research and have your documentation ready when you call. In my experience dealing with government agencies, confidence goes a long way. Saying "No" is how those folks deal with the "out of the norm" stuff because it's safer for them. If you have the state checklists and all the documentation ready, they are far more likely to help you.

I.e. "Pursuant to Section x.y.z, I'm submitting this application for a motor vehicle title. Per x.y.z, here are the required documents..."

HOBGOBLIN

Do your research and have your documentation ready when you call. In my experience dealing with government agencies, confidence goes a long way. Saying "No" is how those folks deal with the "out of the norm" stuff because it's safer for them. If you have the state checklists and all the documentation ready, they are far more likely to help you.

I.e. "Pursuant to Section x.y.z, I'm submitting this application for a motor vehicle title. Per x.y.z, here are the required documents..."
I followed another members package that was approved here in the state of FL. The supervisor was impressed on how through my package was and all the information I had was adequate. He said if it was an approved “body kit” it he would have no problem giving it a tittle.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I followed another members package that was approved here in the state of FL. The supervisor was impressed on how through my package was and all the information I had was adequate. He said if it was an approved “body kit” it he would have no problem giving it a tittle.
I’d definitely ask for clarification on that. I’m not a lawyer by any means, but I’m not seeing anything in the statues that mention an “approved” list.

HOBGOBLIN

I’d definitely ask for clarification on that. I’m not a lawyer by any means, but I’m not seeing anything in the statues that mention an “approved” list.
Trust me i know I am going to pick
Up my original docs on Monday, sad thing is I waited 10 weeks for them to tell me no. I am going to nicely ask where it states that it is required. I have looked all over the place and can’t find anything.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
Trust me i know I am going to pick
Up my original docs on Monday, sad thing is I waited 10 weeks for them to tell me no. I am going to nicely ask where it states that it is required. I have looked all over the place and can’t find anything.
Just to be sure, you had the body panels on in the pictures? Hood, side panels? I could see if the paperwork was filed as a “kit car” that it’s not approved because NHTSA specifies a kit car as a vehicles with a body that resembles a 25 years or older vehicle which the goblin resembles nothing. But the “Assembled from parts” section doesn’t specify anything regarding the body of the vehicle and as such it shouldn’t be rejected at all. On your forms (believe there are 3 total) did you have “kit car” checked or “ASPT” checked?

HOBGOBLIN

I do t know he wasn’t really in the mood to discuss it or be helpful he told me no and wanted to rush me off the phone

JPas914

I'd be really surprised if they had an actual list of "approved" kits. I can't imagine any agency that would want that much overhead.

Per this and this, I could see possibly needing some more documentation from DF, but I'm not seeing anything that would preclude titling and licensing a goblin as a kit car in Florida. If they don't want to title it as a "kit car" due to it not being a re-body type kit, there's a provision for an "assembled from parts" in the statue.
TL-41 was the procedure I had followed. Mine wasn’t even fully wrapped in my submission pictures. The only time I spoke with my local DMV was just to explain that I was registering a kit car and to get the number/contact info for the compliance office that would be inspecting the car. Hopefully it’s not my title that’s getting recalled.

CaptFrank2001

Goblin Guru
This is VERY BAD news. I just mailed my paperwork to Tallahassee on the 9th and I am waiting on a response. CRAP !!

Last edited: