Alternative Power Steering

chief404

Has anyone used a Saturn Vue / Chevy Equinox power steering in their goblin? The reason I am asking is I would like to eventually run an aftermarket standalone ecu on the car and remove the stock ecu/bcm. The only thing I would like to keep is power steering. It looks like they are identical but you can get a controller for the vue/equinox that would allow you to not have to use the bcm. It looks like the solenoid is on the other side, but that doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, quite a few people have used the Saturn Vue power steering in their goblin.
Just search the forum for "Saturn Vue".

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Remove the BCM? This interests me! Stand alone ECM and TCM arent scary. I do not know how to make these cars instruments and starter function without a BCM? Short of using an entire hotrod(American Autowire?) type rewiring kit. Is that even possible? So much functionality runs through the BCM that this idea seems price impossible.(I've had a bad BCM, no power window function and no radio.) But I'd Really like to see anyone's ideas! How many cars get scrapped because getting the BCM to cooperate is so expensive the repair is more than the car is worth!? A tech has to spend hours(@$100/hr.) figuring out what the problem is, then computer time $$ Reprograming a BCM to make the unit run. With the price of labor and TEC4 time and cost of Rare/no longer supported parts/BCM's it doesn't take much to make an errant BCM a fatal problem. Would you enjoy being told to scrap your Goblin because the lights won't work and the P/S and blinkers quit? (Imagine facing possibly scrapping a 12 year old truck, 60K mile, One ton, tow vehicle because the security computer/key switch won't let the truck start!) At 10 y/o the dealer is no longer "legally" required to have the info, parts and systems to help you. (Step into any dealer service department in 2022 and you are unlikely to find a tech with a timing light and dwell meter.) I worry about the possibility that a BCM can become "a black box full of broken magic" capable of rendering MY 10-15 y/o car into a "lawn ornament/scrap".

Ross

Goblin Guru
Stand alone ECM often have an electronic dash. So ditch the Cobalt instrument panel & BCM. Use an old school blinker for the turn signals. Don't worry about an odometer. Wire the headlights directly. Don't even need a key to start the engine, but you could keep it if you want.

chief404

Sweet, I didn’t search for this specifically but should of. I mostly tried to find threads of others running aftermarket ecu’s but haven’t found much. I think it should be fairly straightforward to remove the potentiometer and wire it up as an input to be used against rpm/speed.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Ross, Thanks for your input! It's on the right track. I'm not just talking about Goblin's and Cobalts. All newer cars have BCM or similar electronic "ocotopi" in the middle of their function! *****DANGER, Rant Ahead, Do Not Read!***** I had my brand new RV's (chassis) BCM(a 2022 F5500) took out some headlights, running lights and reduced engine output. Cause? the 40 amp BCM feed circuit's fuse was loose! That held us hostage for a week!; until a renegade electrical guru and great friend stumbled onto the problem by isolating what fed the systems that were off. (Dealer was no help, they said "put it in line and we'll look at/diagnose it in 3 weeks, then put in line for repair. Short story, est to be back on the road in 6 weeks or so and the unit was brand new. {Did I mention we live full time in this unit? This was unacceptable. This Machine had 1500 miles on it and cost $225K!} I was in a world of Pissed Off I'd never even imagined, much less visited!) ***** But amazingly everybody lived happily ever after; for a while. I don't trust BCM's.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
On the subject of stand alone ECUs, I've had conversation with RPM Motorsports in Mesa, they have an Ecotec stand alone system around $1300 with a proper tune to your power requirements. And is HPT compatible.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
Sweet, I didn’t search for this specifically but should of. I mostly tried to find threads of others running aftermarket ecu’s but haven’t found much. I think it should be fairly straightforward to remove the potentiometer and wire it up as an input to be used against rpm/speed.
There is a version of the Vue EPS controller that will use GPS to adjust the controller. I don't think it will be much if any benefit since I never feel a need to run mine (basic dial control) at anything but the minimum assist.

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
On the subject of stand alone ECUs, I've had conversation with RPM Motorsports in Mesa, they have an Ecotec stand alone system around $1300 with a proper tune to your power requirements. And is HPT compatible.
I wonder if it will work on the Direct Injection motors?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Got a little side tracked on this EPS thread, sorry. FYI, I ordered the GPS speed variable steering controller for the Vue box I will be installing. I like the idea of being able to have assist - which can be set for percentage of assist between 100 and 10 - at low speeds and have it automatically taper off to zero assist at a settable higher speed. No futzing with the knob anytime you want to change it.

Last edited:

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Thanks! All great info! Sadly I am going the other direction. In a nut shell, trying to run a complete Cobalt without a BCM. {without building an entire wiring harness, I can accept that this may not be possible without a huge time/$$ investment. I am curious.}

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I wonder how much is really 0 assist. The adjustment knob only turns down so much then has pretty good jump to "zero assist". I would not want 0 assist even at high speed since it really takes some force to turn then and evasive type maneuvers are really slowed down. If it can be set to something like 10% all of the time, that would likely be about right. I would guess that mine only gets to about 25% and then cuts off completely. Of course that might be something wrong in the adjustment switch. I've never taken the time to see if the switch has smooth readings all of the way 0.

Even minimum assist is fine at low speeds. I never think it needs more assist but sometimes wish it would turn down more than it will at speed.

chief404

This is really interesting and I will give them a call. If this is a real standalone that is a decent price, hopefully it’s not just a custom p12.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, your correct, it does look different. Bought off ebay (of course), was listed as '07 Vue EPS. Now that I compare with Rockauto listing, it looks like a '08 and newer Vue EPS. Dang, and it's been too long to send it back - face palm - should have double checked this before. Now I need to get funds to purchase the right EPS, and get this one sold. The fun of building a car!!!

chief404

Good to know which one we need. Just an update on the standalone: I reached out to RPM but haven't gotten a response. I talked with Ace Motorsports and they said they used a Link G4 Fury with the LSJ in a Ariel Atom. They used most of the stock sensors, most noticeably the stock cam and crank triggers. I like that a lot and don't want to run a bunch of aftermarket sensors to get it working, which seems like a lot of ecotec's have done in the ms3 community. I do know the Link ECU has a GDI compatible ECU for those who are direct injected.