Am I Screwed?

Vwsaabvt

Goblin Guru
if you aren't in a hurry I have one or 2 extra clutch slave to manifold lines and manifolds. I can send you one after the first of the year.

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Yes , I did the same thing just go ahead and replace both the clutch elbow and pipe so you don't get your entire kit together and then have to pull the trans once its all running because its pouring fluid everywhere. Pay extra attention to the cone type shape grommet on the tip of the clutch line coming out of the slave where it slides into the elbow piece it can get stuck in the elbow and crushed or warped and cause fluid leaks. Just make sure its on the clutch line like the picture shows above in Dylans's post from ZZP.

Be

grantcropper

Great advice, ccannx, unfortunately, we already have our entire car put together! Were just waiting on some stuff from DF so we can start it up and roll out!

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
Once the engine/transmission is out of the car, it's not terrible to split the two and replace those pieces. Word of caution when you do properly pull the aluminum block off, keep an eye on the rubber seal inside. It likes to stick inside of the aluminum block and get lost. Also watch how the metal clip clips on, it's often confusing and you tend to want install it wrong (I spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work by installing it wrong).

grantcropper

Once the engine/transmission is out of the car, it's not terrible to split the two and replace those pieces. Word of caution when you do properly pull the aluminum block off, keep an eye on the rubber seal inside. It likes to stick inside of the aluminum block and get lost. Also watch how the metal clip clips on, it's often confusing and you tend to want install it wrong (I spent 20 minutes trying to get it to work by installing it wrong).
Thank you for the heads up. Were gonna start the car and watch for leaks, and pray.

grantcropper

if you aren't in a hurry I have one or 2 extra clutch slave to manifold lines and manifolds. I can send you one after the first of the year.
Thank you so much for the offer! Were gonna see if it's just bent or cracked before we pull the whole rear end apart.

grantcropper

Yes , I did the same thing just go ahead and replace both the clutch elbow and pipe so you don't get your entire kit together and then have to pull the trans once its all running because its pouring fluid everywhere. Pay extra attention to the cone type shape grommet on the tip of the clutch line coming out of the slave where it slides into the elbow piece it can get stuck in the elbow and crushed or warped and cause fluid leaks. Just make sure its on the clutch line like the picture shows above in Dylans's post from ZZP.

Be
So, just to make sure, since we have almost everything put together, we were hoping to plug the wiring harness in and finish the intercooler and exhaust and get it running. Do you think theres a chance we will get away with leaving it or do you think we are 100% going to need to replace the line? Here is another pic of gaps I've pointed to. If so, I guess we might as well start tearing it apart now before adding anything else.

Attachments

ccannx

Goblin Guru
I was able to drop my trans without taking the engine out but did have to drop the subframe and support the engine from above.

That black grommet on the clutch line coming out of the trans I believe was the cause of my leak. You will know if you got a leak once you get your brake fluid sorted. Mine looked like water it was so clear. Appeared to drip from the bell house.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
So, just to make sure, since we have almost everything put together, we were hoping to plug the wiring harness in and finish the intercooler and exhaust and get it running. Do you think theres a chance we will get away with leaving it or do you think we are 100% going to need to replace the line? Here is another pic of gaps I've pointed to. If so, I guess we might as well start tearing it apart now before adding anything else.
You might want to see if you can pressurize it with air to see if you have an obvious leak.

grantcropper

I'm gonna try pushing it back together and see if it will clip back in. I'll update this post with news one way or another. Thanks so much for the help you guys.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Grant , looking really good. Glad to see your build is coming along nicely and that you are close to being ready take it for a drive - if the clutch line is not an issue. I am still a few weeks away from starting to dig into my car and it pains me that our cars were delivered only a day apart. :(

KLMOTORSPORTS

I was able to drop my trans without taking the engine out but did have to drop the subframe and support the engine from above.

That black grommet on the clutch line coming out of the trans I believe was the cause of my leak. You will know if you got a leak once you get your brake fluid sorted. Mine looked like water it was so clear. Appeared to drip from the bell house.
I have the same issue with mine...F40 transmission. A very slight leak coming out where the block and transmission mesh together underneath...clear, almost water like substance (brake fluid presuming).

If that black grommet is not seated right, does it leak and run down the throwout bearing pipe and ultimately out the bottom of transmission? Guess I thought if the black o-ring was leaking, it would show fluid leak around where it connects on top of the transmission?

Thanks for any info and clarification...Ken

ccannx

Goblin Guru
Yes my leak was coming from the clutch elbow and dripped into the bell housing. I replaced both the aluminum block/ elbow and the clutch pipe. when I pulled it apart it appeared only to be leaking from the elbow.

KLMOTORSPORTS

Yes my leak was coming from the clutch elbow and dripped into the bell housing. I replaced both the aluminum block/ elbow and the clutch pipe. when I pulled it apart it appeared only to be leaking from the elbow.
Great, thanks...will check mine after the Christmas break...appreciate it!