Ambient light sensor location?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
To give you some backstory, I didn't have the sensor hooked up and was was having a heck of a time with my autolights / DRL / parking lights acting unexpectedly as I was trying to test my LED tail lights. I didn't save my ambient sensor as I didn't recall seeing the need (I purchased the wiring service) so I had to purchase another one (Amazon; ACDelco 13498957 $9). When I plugged the sensor in and placed it in a more realistic spot (not under the dash) my lights started acting normally again. So, the ALS and its location ended up being important for my build.

For those searching: it's this plug

Indy Lonnie

To give you some backstory, I didn't have the sensor hooked up and was was having a heck of a time with my autolights / DRL / parking lights acting unexpectedly as I was trying to test my LED tail lights. I didn't save my ambient sensor as I didn't recall seeing the need (I purchased the wiring service) so I had to purchase another one (Amazon; ACDelco 13498957 $9). When I plugged the sensor in and placed it in a more realistic spot (not under the dash) my lights started acting normally again. So, the ALS and its location ended up being important for my build.
Sounds like I need find a way to mount mine too...

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I mounted mine above the speedometer. I had it off closer to the steering wheel at first but I needed to make room for my gauges. so I printed a new bracket and moved it over. I put the button in the back for my garage door opener to keep it out of sight
IMG_20200424_115939.jpg
IMG_20200424_120011.jpg

My lens looks a bit strange on it because I wanted to delay the switch over from DRL to auto lights. So I tried to make a clear lens. I did not clean up the bracket because I am not positive on keeping the location yet.

Last edited:

Indy Lonnie

Thanks for the suggestions. I was inspired and made a bracket to bolt to the steering column mount out of a leftover bracket from the Cobalt. My sensor cover is peeling a little, but it works great. That was one thing I was not happy with about the Goblin. Its nice not to have to fiddle with the lights now...
IMG_4671.JPG
IMG_4672.JPG

Tim Moland

Thanks for the suggestions. I was inspired and made a bracket to bolt to the steering column mount out of a leftover bracket from the Cobalt. My sensor cover is peeling a little, but it works great. That was one thing I was not happy with about the Goblin. Its nice not to have to fiddle with the lights now...
View attachment 13347View attachment 13348
I'm super late to the party, but I have some questions about the light sensor. Mine seems to work correctly, however, not on the headlights. The side view mirror lights, tag light, and tail lights work with the sensor, along with the dash dimming. The headlights, when in the auto position, come on when you start the car, and stay on until you switch them off manually, or you shut off the car. I'm wanting them to be auto like the cobalt was. I had df do my wiring, so the harness should be correct. I'm running the stock headlight housings. The hi/l o beams work correctly. I just don't know why they don't play along with the sensor.

Fozda

Goblin Guru
I'm super late to the party, but I have some questions about the light sensor. Mine seems to work correctly, however, not on the headlights. The side view mirror lights, tag light, and tail lights work with the sensor, along with the dash dimming. The headlights, when in the auto position, come on when you start the car, and stay on until you switch them off manually, or you shut off the car. I'm wanting them to be auto like the cobalt was. I had df do my wiring, so the harness should be correct. I'm running the stock headlight housings. The hi/l o beams work correctly. I just don't know why they don't play along with the sensor.
Is it the daytime running lights that are turning the headlights on?

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I also paid for the wiring service, have my ambient light sensor mounted in the dash panel, and still have to manually switch the autolights on/off so my headlights aren't on during the day... everytime. I gave up trying to figure it out, and just made that process as easy as possible.

Lonny

Administrator
Staff member
The headlights never go out on a Cobalt unless you manually turn them off.

When the sensor sees sunlight it switches to a circuit with a resistor that lowers the power to the headlamps and also brightens the instrument cluster display.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
If someone were to design and 3D print a small bracket for mounting the ambient light sensor somewhere, I'm sure a few sales could be made. /nudge /nudge ;)

Tim Moland

The headlights never go out on a Cobalt unless you manually turn them off.

When the sensor sees sunlight it switches to a circuit with a resistor that lowers the power to the headlamps and also brightens the instrument cluster display.
Interesting. I guess I never noticed that the cobalt always had its headlights on during the day.

baustin

It's just that the DRL isn't a separate bulb. Some cars have separate DRL bulbs, some use the high beam bulb at a lowered voltage, some use the low beam bulbs (or with lowered voltage).

Here's where I put the ambient light sensor:

Instead of needing a bracket, it's held in place with a velcro strap to the powder coated steering column bracket, snugged up to the boost gauge. It works pretty well there, I haven't any noticeable times that I thought my lights should be DRL only and were instead triggered to be on.