Andy’s Charleston extended City Goblin #308 - 05 SS/SC

andyseavers

Hi everyone, I’m Andy. Originally from Hershey, PA, I moved to Charleston, SC about 4 years ago. I’ve always loved cars, but don’t know much about them. I can do a dash swap, a cold air intake, or change the tires, but that’s about the extent of my knowledge. I’m using this project as a way to learn more!

I purchased an 2005 Cobalt SS/SC with about 150k miles from a guy in Georgia for $1800 on 03/25/2021.

Attachments

Last edited:

Corgithulhu

Hey welcome fellow South Carolinian Andy! I'm up in the Greenville area. I think you did well on your donor, and you'll have fun tearing it down!

OptimizePrime

Goblin Guru
I'm headed to Charleston in a couple weeks - absolutely love it there. Welcome!

If you go the standard path it's pretty straight forward - when you get into the custom stuff is where your CC bleeds and the timelines stretch.

Corgithulhu

when you get into the custom stuff is where your CC bleeds and the timelines stretch
Big truth here. I'm trying to keep my build mostly faithful to the original brief that DF set out - take the Cobalt parts and add the DF parts to make it a fun car. The only real exceptions are seats and wheels/tires. Once I get a running and driving car that is shaken down, then I'll consider what I want to upgrade.

andyseavers

Today I removed the doors, pulled out the seats, cleared the break fluid and removed the calipers. I don’t have strut compressors so I’ll order a pair and get back to it after I get back from work travel and vacation. Frame should be here in July.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Your local auto supply store will probably have strut spring compressors for rent... basically for free.

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If I recall correctly, if you are using DF coilovers in the rear (the BC racing coilovers) you don't need to disassemble the stock struts at all aside from removing them from the knuckle. Do save the strut-to-knuckle hardware, though.

r3drckt

Goblin Guru
I guess my redneck approach of using ratchet straps isn't advised o_O Used 2, one on each side wrapped around the coils and then snugged up so I could take off the nut. Didn't have any issues, but might not be the safest.

ATMironov

If I recall correctly, if you are using DF coilovers in the rear (the BC racing coilovers) you don't need to disassemble the stock struts at all aside from removing them from the knuckle. Do save the strut-to-knuckle hardware, though.
Agreed. If you don't need to re-use the struts, don't waste your money on the spring compressors. Just unbolt the top hats from the body and the whole strut assembly will drop out of the car.

andyseavers

Don't forget to remove and keep your parking brake handle and tubes.

Do I need those? They don’t include that in any of the videos. I assumed that all came with the kit. I can’t seem to find the list of all the things I need to keep to make sure I have everything.

Last edited: