Andy’s Charleston extended City Goblin #308 - 05 SS/SC

andyseavers

@Robinjo
1. I’m wondering if the sensor is perhaps bad. Good to know that is neutral. I wasn’t 100% sure.
2. This is likely why my fuse box isn’t connected to the starter. Going to look at this tonight after my son goes to sleep.
3. can you send through a screenshot? I believe so, but as a beginner I’ll take any double checking offered.
4. I had completely disconnected my engine harness and there aren’t videos for reconnecting. Another builder (Rohri) was able to help me get everything connected and I didn’t document much during that time.

@escapepilot
Making sure I understand. Are you suggesting that what I have connected to the b+ terminal may actually be a ground? That could make sense since the three wires im treating as grounds currently are located under the engine and don’t reach the area to ground to the frame. I need to look at all of those wires and compare to the videos.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The pictured wire connected to the B+ terminal looks like the engine grounding strap to me. I doubt there's a problem actually using that wire in that location, but, there's a different length of wire (marked red on the ends, if memory serves) that is specifically intended to run from the starter to the B+ terminal. I would swap them, then use the engine grounding strap for what it's meant to be used for, grounding the engine block to the frame.

Note, if you don't ground the engine to the frame, you will have had to have ground off any powder coat or paint, between your engine mount points and the frame mount points.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
The B+ post is currently connected to this wire
View attachment 37115
Is the other end of this wire here?
View attachment 37116
Those are both grounds. That is definitely incorrect. They both need to be secured on a grounding stud on your frame.

I just tried to get a pic of the wire that should be connected to your B+ terminal but I can't while my engine cover is on, it's hidden under the fuse box cover. I remember it's a thick-gauge wire, and the B+ terminal end of it is an L-shaped eyelet.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Be sure that ground stud that EscapePilot is showing is completely clean of powder coating. Also, the stud by the steering column and the one by the battery box. As others have said, those are both ground wires and should be hooked up to the grounding stud. The wire from the B+ terminal to the started should be it's own wire. It's black with red on the ends by the ends.

Ross

Goblin Guru
This is a picture of the starter solenoid, and the starter motor is on the left side.
Post 1 is the Battery 12V+ wire, the wire up to the fuse box post, and the wire to the alternator.
Post 2 should already be connected to the starter motor, so you don't have to put anything on this post
Post 3 is the small purple wire.
All 3 posts are 12V+ wires.

The starter gets ground is thru the mounting bolts to the engine block. The engine should have a ground wire to the frame, and the battery negative should have a wire to the frame.

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
I can’t get power. Maybe someone can help. Here are some pictures for someone to call out if something would cause it to not complete the circuit.

1. Three ground wires to the frame on the driver side, under the fuse box. This should have three, correct?
2. I don’t have these hooked up
View attachment 37102
3. or this sensor:
View attachment 37103
4. I do have the compressor out
View attachment 37104
5. not sure what this goes to
View attachment 37105

Any help would be appreciated. Will gladly send more pictures.
3 is for the vehicle speed sensor

andyseavers

I have power to my kit car, but when I go to turn the ignition, I get a click. It’s similar to as as if you try and start an automatic car while the car is in drive rather than park. My car is a manual. I have it in the middle position which I believe is neutral. Does one of the sensors need to be pressed in such as the clutch sensor or something similar?

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
The EPS and throttle pedal are connected? There are 2 plugs on the pedal. Does the throttle body plate cycle (open/close) when you turn the key to on? Is the engine grounded to the chassis - don't depend upon the engine/transmission mounts to provide a ground through painted/powder coated mates.

Goblinfanclub1234

I have power to my kit car, but when I go to turn the ignition, I get a click. It’s similar to as as if you try and start an automatic car while the car is in drive rather than park. My car is a manual. I have it in the middle position which I believe is neutral. Does one of the sensors need to be pressed in such as the clutch sensor or something similar?
if you had replaced your clutch switch you need to relearn it using a tech2 type programmer

if you see a key on the dash then there is some work to do with the anti theft system

can you check every fuse in the fusebox and the BCM with a multimeter?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
Clutch has to be pushed.
Exactly. Try that first but also make sure your grounds are completely clean. These vehicles seem to be very sensitive to grounding faults. If one of the three points is a little dirty it can cause issues.