Andy’s Charleston extended City Goblin #308 - 05 SS/SC

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
It should pull off or a new one is available for a few bucks if your new pump didn’t include it. Sometimes the pumps come with them.

finazzoty

Any thoughts on aftermarket fuel pumps for an LSJ (also intending on swapping the supercharged out for a turbo)? For a long list of reasons, I can’t get my fuel pump and pump harness out of the donor so I figure it’s a good excuse for an aftermarket pump anyway lol

Joebob

Goblin Guru
Any thoughts on aftermarket fuel pumps for an LSJ (also intending on swapping the supercharged out for a turbo)? For a long list of reasons, I can’t get my fuel pump and pump harness out of the donor so I figure it’s a good excuse for an aftermarket pump anyway lol
In my experience with O2 sensors and MAF sensors, me and the internet seem to agree to stick with genuine GM parts to have everything read correctly. If you cannot get to the tank, the donor videos state to cut the wires to the fuel pump at the bulkhead under the rear passenger seat. If you drill out the rivets, you can pull the bulkhead up and cut the wires on the other side. You can then buy generic connectors and splice the correct wires to the connectors to be back in business. Through the bulkhead some of the wires are combined or change color.

Good luck,
Joe

Rauq

Goblin Guru
If you can't get to the top of the Cobalt fuel tank, you're going to need more than a fuel pump, you'll need the whole fuel pump module, like this.

From what I've read, the stock fuel pump is pretty solid until you're making more than like 350-400whp on 93 or less on E85. You can get more out of the stock pump (or an upgraded one) with a boost reference fuel pressure regulator, which are good to have at those power levels anyway.

finazzoty

Thanks guys. @Rauq thats ultimately what I ended up going with. Found a good deal at summit racing ($135) - they’re on clearance apparently if anyone else needs one

andyseavers

Finally some updates! Shout out to @kano501 for the help last weekend. Here’s what I have left before my first start.
1. I broke my fuel pump and now I’m trying to get it hooked up. The replacement doesn’t work so now I’m looking for some type of manual for my 05 SS/SC to buy the correct harness and repin. The other option is to buy this, although I’m not sure if this will work either. https://karparts360.com/for-chevy-cobalt-fuel-pump-module-2005-2-2l-l4-8-pins-replaces-15245457/?sku=CLX-M0-150279-CL360A56
2. Bought a replacement Supercharger Bypass Solenoid that I need to hook up.
3. I need replacement screws for the starter or need to drill out the holes.
4. Either it wasn’t included or I can’t find the fuel line bag in my kit to build a fuel line from the filter to the engine.
5. Finish the vacuum line.

andyseavers

Can someone please help me figure out how to get the fuel pump harness to connect? It seems to be that these two harnesses need to be connected, but I don’t know what colors the 4 pin connector are:

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
I think the 05 has a fuel controller of some sort? May need to be modified to accept a newer pump. Someone mentioned this before but I can’t remember. I’ll search.

RCK605

I have an 05 SS/SC donor as well. I'm going through the wiring harness now and the part that goes through modifying the fuel pump harness does not match what I have. The 05 pump is wired directly into the pump and has a pressure sensor for the EVAP system. I recommend getting a new pump from an 06 or newer.

Did DF rework your harness for you?

jamesm

Goblin Guru
That white plug should be thinned out. You should have a purple, tan, and grey wire bundled by the fuse box when you thinned the main harness that connect to that black plug

andyseavers

DF built my harness. I have no idea where those 4 blacks wires in the black harness above are going in the fuse box. The whole thing is wrapped tight with electrical tape.

andyseavers

I’m now 99% sure that they wired in for an 06 cobalt fuel pump. That black harness looks identical to the 06 harness that goes directly into the fuel pump. Ordered an 06 fuel pump and hopefully this search is over.

Last edited: