Andy’s Charleston extended City Goblin #308 - 05 SS/SC

k.rollin

Goblin Guru
That 4 pin connector should plug directly into the top of the fuel pump housing/hat.

It's been a while since I messed with the Cobalt fuel system as configured from stock, so I don't totally recognize the other connector, but I think it was for the EVAP system or other emissions controls and was consequently removed from the Goblin harness.

RCK605

andyseavers

I can’t get power. Maybe someone can help. Here are some pictures for someone to call out if something would cause it to not complete the circuit.

1. Three ground wires to the frame on the driver side, under the fuse box. This should have three, correct?
2. I don’t have these hooked up

3. or this sensor:

4. I do have the compressor out

5. not sure what this goes to

Any help would be appreciated. Will gladly send more pictures.

Ross

Goblin Guru
That red & brown connector looks like a radiator fan connector.
Did you do your own wiring harness, or did Lonny do it at DF?
When you say "I can’t get power." are you saying the engine won't start, or the battery is dead?
If you get 12V+ at the battery, do you also get 12V+ at the rear fuse box, on the big jump post?

andyseavers

@Ross DF did my harness. Not getting 12v at the jump post (I’m assuming this is the jump post?)

also it is a new batter on a tender. Battery is good.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
1. Three sounds right. If you do not have a engine or trans to frame, make one. This would be #4 ground wire.
2. Not sure. I think one goes to the boost solenoid and the other to the Evap system. I can check the boost one tomorrow when I get back into town. If you removed the Evap system, that plug isn’t needed.
3. Not sure. Maybe to the A/C pressure? I think the yellow gets kept for running a Wideband O2 to HPTuners.
4/5. Those go to the stock Cobalt cooling fans. Not needed if you ran the cooling fan wire in the videos .

the post they are referring to is a large, 10mm socket/post on the other end of the fusebox. A line from the starter positive post runs to it. Where you showed checking is for the power steering (I believe)

Last edited:

Ross

Goblin Guru
The jump post is the big post that sticks up thru the top of the fuse box. Made to grab with jumper cables. That post powers the whole fuse box. Goes to the starter motor, then to the battery 12V+. No fuse, just straight to the battery.

andyseavers

@Ross just to confirm. You are referencing this? Am I correct to connect this black wire to this terminal?

@Robinjo I can’t confirm I have the engine/transmission grounded. I’ll try that as well.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
@Ross just to confirm. You are referencing this? Am I correct to connect this black wire to this terminal?
View attachment 37107

@Robinjo I can’t confirm I have the engine/transmission grounded. I’ll try that as well.
That is the post. That wire should be coming from the starter to that B+ terminal (post). You should be getting 12 volts there.
A lot of kits have trouble with grounding and that extra grounding strap helps things out. Some won’t start without the engine grounded, mine didn’t need it.

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yes, that jump post should be 12V+ when the electrical meter is on it, and on the frame. (or any 12V- spot.)
That black wire should go to the starter, and then the starter wire goes to the battery 12V+

andyseavers

@Ross @Robinjo okay, that is the problem! I ran a line from the starter to that post and I got power. How is the B+ terminal supposed to connect to the starter? Is the little purple wire supposed to be connected to that little terminal?

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
The little purple wire attaches to a little post that has a 7mm or 8mm nut on it. It's really small compared to the other ones.

For the power wires:
A large cable runs from the battery positive terminal to the positive post of the starter.
A large cable runs from the small post on the starter (as above) to the B+ post (the one you have in the photos)
There should also be another medium sized wire that runs to the same post on the starter, making a total of three wires to that positive post on the starter.

I do not have photos. If you search on the site, you'll probably find some.

andyseavers

- Attached the purple wire. That makes sense!
- when I turn the key to start, I hear a click from the BCM. I’m wondering if I need to get the car in neutral (not sure what it’s in now).
- still stumped as to why there isn’t a connection from the B+ post to the starter. Since DF built my harness, I’m not 100% sure how it works. Wondering if one of the three grounds I have connected is actually supposed to connect to the starter.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
1. Are you pressing the clutch sensor in when trying to start? You can also select neutral by moving the big block shifter on the trans to the middle spot. There should be 3 distinct spots; forward, middle (neutral) and back. I think I still needed to press the clutch sensor even with neutral selected. This lever is the one on top in my photo below.
2. Does one of the wires you have going to ground connect to the starter?
3. Do you have the ECM hooked up with the three connectors? In the early photos it didn’t look hooked up.
4. Are you watching the videos about hooking up connectors and wires? It steps through everything decently well. Good enough for my electrically illiterate self to get things running.
5. Do you have the power steering harnesses plugged into the unit? Same with turn signal switch? Some (mine included) needed these hooked up to complete the circuits. I would hook everything you can up, dash, BCM connector, turn signal switch, brake sensors, clutch sensors, etc. The only thing I didn't have hooked up was the DF aftermarket button panel kit, headlights, taillights and turn signals.. This has the horn, hazards, cruise buttons that surround the gauge cluster.
6. When you turn the key to run (not firing) does the throttle and HX fan come to life?

2022-09-04 Shift Cables (Engine).JPG

Last edited:

escapepilot

Goblin Guru
@Andy, you should have a very heavy gauge wire from the battery to the starter post then from that same post to the B+ at the fuse box. I don’t believe there are any other wires connected to the B+ terminal. (Wires in your pic look similar to the ground wires.)
There is also a smaller wire from the alternator to the same starter post as in RT’s post. The purple goes to the small starter post.

Robinjo

Goblin Guru
@Andy, you should have a very heavy gauge wire from the battery to the starter post then from that same post to the B+ at the fuse box. I don’t believe there are any other wires connected to the B+ terminal. (Wires in your pic look similar to the ground wires.)
There is also a smaller wire from the alternator to the same starter post as in RT’s post. The purple goes to the small starter post.
The only wire I have to my B+ terminal on the fuse block is from the starter. This wouldn't have been included from the DF wiring harness reworking. It would have been just left over from stripping the body.