Another Harness Mistake

SwerveMonkey

I've adhered to the newer harness series as much as possible as it is more thorough and taken some time to double check the old series too for any thing i might have missed. working with a naturally aspirated manual should make things straight forward I thought... some things were, thanks to some of the research others have here in the forums ;- )

So i have exhausted my efforts to research and figure this one out on my own... gotta ask for help now.
so here goes...

1. I have a spare wire coming from the body to engine connector that I don't know what to do with.
    • light green
    • in position E-1 if you are looking at the connector head on
    • runs to the BCM housing currently, along with other loose wires that ARE accounted for
  2. Need to confirm: I can either thin out or safely route for later use the evap pump wire
  3. Need to confirm: Even though it has not been addressed yet in the new wiring harness series I still have my handbrake ground connector dangling in the middle of my harness with suspisicons that it will by left in the middle to accomodate the hand brake when I finish. {see above image}
  4. I am sorely missing the fuse box side wiring for the ignition lock cylinder control solenoid... A.K.A. the Key Lock B10 connector that needs to be extended during the dash harness addition.

bradr

The hand brake wire connects to the BCM and still works. The issue is the brake light is on all the time if you had an ABS equipped donor. the ABS Eliminator (Info HERE) will solve this problem.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
What pin on what connector is the hand brake? I can't find this connector in my harness anywhere.

If I end up having to attach a new wire, it looks like it's just a simple ground.

bradr

BCM, connector X1 (White/Blue connector with the camlock), pin 14 (lt. Blue wire)

Last edited:

bradr

No, Red circle is the one you are looking for. Blue circles show where the pin reference markings are (each corner has a pin number stamped into the housing so you can pin locations). On this connector the corners are stamped with "1" "18" "55" "72" because there are three rows of 18 pins.

20200303_223441.jpg

MisterDave

Are you talking about the parking brake switch connector? I thought this wouldn't work without the ABS. (ref: wiring harness guide part 2 @ 5:35)

Goblin Guru
No, Red circle is the one you are looking for. Blue circles show where the pin reference markings are (each corner has a pin number stamped into the housing so you can pin locations). On this connector the corners are stamped with "1" "18" "55" "72" because there are three rows of 18 pins.

View attachment 12061
Ah, I read you. I didn't look close enough, I just saw the blue cut wire in a position that could logically be stated as pin 14, and went with it. I'll pay more attention next time. Thanks for the quick lesson.

Soldering a wire back onto that little stub should be fun. I think I can at least harvest another parking brake wire and connector from my spare SS/SC harness.

Yes.
It connects to the park brake switch
Yeah, I examined the park brake last night to see how the mechanism works, leading me to conclude that the single pin connection is (probably) a ground. Thanks for the confirmation.

Goblin Guru
Are you talking about the parking brake switch connector? I thought this wouldn't work without the ABS. (ref: wiring harness guide part 2 @ 5:35)
Yes.

It doesn't work right due to the lack of the ABS controller in the Goblin. However, the physical wiring still works right, so bradr has developed a solution that fixes the dash light.

MisterDave

Yes.

It doesn't work right due to the lack of the ABS controller in the Goblin. However, the physical wiring still works right, so bradr has developed a solution that fixes the dash light.
Thanks! I guess I will run that wire too since I plan to have a parking brake.

bradr

More specifically the parking brake wire works fine. The issue is the BCM looses communication with the ABS module (because it no longer exists) and lights up the brake, ABS and TC lights as well as displays warning messages in the information center. Since the brake light is ON all the time, you dont know if your hand brake status or if your brake fluid is low. By telling the BCM "you dont have ABS or traction control" all the warning lights and messages go away, and the brake light will properly show if your hand brake is engaged or if your brake fluid is low. The bonus is that you dont have to look at warning lights and warning messages in the cluster every time you drive the Goblin.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
All depends on the donor. My car had no ABS and light works as it should with parking brake or low brake fluid.

Goblin Guru
More specifically the parking brake wire works fine. The issue is the BCM looses communication with the ABS module (because it no longer exists) and lights up the brake, ABS and TC lights as well as displays warning messages in the information center. Since the brake light is ON all the time, you dont know if your hand brake status or if your brake fluid is low. By telling the BCM "you dont have ABS or traction control" all the warning lights and messages go away, and the brake light will properly show if your hand brake is engaged or if your brake fluid is low. The bonus is that you dont have to look at warning lights and warning messages in the cluster every time you drive the Goblin.
We're blessed to have folks like you in this community who figures these things out. Your product is a great final touch on the Goblin, no doubt.

bradr

All depends on the donor. My car had no ABS and light works as it should with parking brake or low brake fluid.
Correct, if you are lucky enough to not have an ABS equipped donor, it will just work.

We're blessed to have folks like you in this community who figures these things out. Your product is a great final touch on the Goblin, no doubt.
Very kind, thank you. I'm glad others can get use out of what I have learned just the same as I appreciate others sharing what they have learned.

SwerveMonkey

whoa... this escalated fast, ha ha.
What pin on what connector is the hand brake?
CAN confirm it is the same as what BradR says... thats the position you want to use to reinstall a handbrake ground... the connector is a single wire connector
thankfully i did not have ABS control on this donor, never had to remove it during the wire harness thinning process.

Correct, if you are lucky enough to not have an ABS equipped donor, it will just work.
Very kind, thank you. I'm glad others can get use out of what I have learned just the same as I appreciate others sharing what they have learned.

SwerveMonkey

Make sure about your state requirements. PA required a working brake indicator light.
I did take note when i finally decided to plunge into the project that there are three other NYS builds and it was confirmed through Bar-Air that the NYSDMV requires a handbrake to pass safety regulations... I'm LoOkInG FoRwArD tO FiGuRiNg ThAt OnE OuT
I suppose I should have asked for confirmation of position of the connector knowing I am going to attempt to keep it.

there is still the other matters though, if anyone is currently also working on an unwrapped wiring harness...
  • Where does the Key-Lock B10 terminate on the fuse-box side of the harness??
  • IS there anything important on the other side of that green wire coming from the body to engine connector?
And I guess a question for DF fab directly would be what to do with the EVAP wire, or if anyone can point me in the direction to instructions that would be great :)

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
I did take note when i finally decided to plunge into the project that there are three other NYS builds and it was confirmed through Bar-Air that the NYSDMV requires a handbrake to pass safety regulations... I'm LoOkInG FoRwArD tO FiGuRiNg ThAt OnE OuT
I suppose I should have asked for confirmation of position of the connector knowing I am going to attempt to keep it.
Just leave it as long as possible in the tunnel area since it will depend on where your handle gets mounted.

And I guess a question for DF fab directly would be what to do with the EVAP wire, or if anyone can point me in the direction to instructions that would be great :)
That depends on state requirements also. Not sure if NY requires EVAP. I know Bar-air had to have a CAT. I cut my wire out since in PA we do not have to meet emissions on specialty constructed vehicles.