Another stupid question. Cut plastic shifter housing?

Oldchevyguy

My doner is an 05 SS/SC. Looking at my shifter, it looks like I have to cut a lot of the front of the housing off to clear the metal ears on the tunnel cover. As always, I searched the forum, but did not find any mention of this. One picture showed a shifer that looked like it fit without cutting. Anyone experience this?

Attachments

Oldchevyguy

My doner is an 05 SS/SC. Looking at my shifter, it looks like I have to cut a lot of the front of the housing off to clear the metal ears on the tunnel cover. As always, I searched the forum, but did not find any mention of this. One picture showed a shifer that looked like it fit without cutting. Anyone experience this?
Looks like I will have to cut the back too. See picture. HASN'T ANYONE HAD TO DO THIS!!!!

Attachments

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
That's exactly how mine looks. I'm not at the assembly stage yet so I can't offer any advice.

Oldchevyguy

Ok, I finally figured out how this works. There is no left hand thread rod ends. You reuse the plastic original ends on the LEFTHAND THREADED ROD, using the DF hardware, which consists of a spacer, and 2 washers and left hand nuts times two. One washer would not fit in, so I substituted a smaller one. Its tricky, an exercise in patience assembling these things!

KSLunsfo

Sorry for a bit of thread jacking here. But on a related topic, how much prying should I expect to have to do to remove the manual shifter assembly from the donor? It seems the washers that were under the 4 nuts have a minor interference fit with the studs... I know I have to be careful as to not break housing/assembly.

Oldchevyguy

Sorry for a bit of thread jacking here. But on a related topic, how much prying should I expect to have to do to remove the manual shifter assembly from the donor? It seems the washers that were under the 4 nuts have a minor interference fit with the studs... I know I have to be careful as to not break housing/assembly.
That was months ago for me, but I don't remember having a problem removing it. Just pry it up carefully. The plastic is pretty robust.

KSLunsfo

Thanks. Guess I'll be buying a shifter now though. One of the collars simply wouldn't slip off. I started cracking the base and eventually numerous chunks have been broken off. I've even started using a 24" pry bar and haven't gotten it off yet. At this point it's just become a destructive process just to say I got if off... the dremel and BFH have come out...

Oldchevyguy

Thanks. Guess I'll be buying a shifter now though. One of the collars simply wouldn't slip off. I started cracking the base and eventually numerous chunks have been broken off. I've even started using a 24" pry bar and haven't gotten it off yet. At this point it's just become a destructive process just to say I got if off... the dremel and BFH have come out...
Sorry to hear that. There is probably one cheap yo Ebay.

Oldchevyguy

Attachments