Anti-submarine belt Installation

Chubbs

I'm gearing up for a track day, the first one with the goblin. Depending on which set of rules I read (there seem to be multiple revisions for the same day), I needed an SFI approved harness. My four-point harness was not.

So, I replaced it with a five-point SFI approved harness. Regarding the anti-submarine belt, it is long enough to run in front of the lower portion of the seat as shown in the photo. I prefer it like this, as it doesn't bunch up my nuggets. But is that set up legal? Or do I need to cut a hole in the seat to run the 5th strap closer to me?

I noticed even most racing seats don't seem to have the slot cut for the anti-submarine belt. The hardcore aluminum race seats do, but anything less race oriented than that does not.

Attachments

Gtstorey

Goblin Guru
I doubt it will pass tech running around the front of the seat. Every set of instructions say that it needs to come through a hole 10”-12” from the seat back. I added a slot to my seats to make them work.

Chubbs

You can also refer to the SFI guidelines for mounting harnesses here. It's great info for anyone trying to appropriately mount belts to their chassis:

https://www.sfifoundation.com/wp-content/pdfs/guidelines-bulletins/Seatbelt Installation Guide 06-05-12.pdf

I'm not sure why I never found that link. Thanks for posting, that's exactly what I needed.

Looks like I'm cutting a hole in the seat. I already have some "inserts" like those Corbeaus, printing on the 3d printer right now. Hopefully I can make a hole in the seat look professional. Once I know they work, I'll post the print files for others. $40 each for some plastic pieces seems like highway robbery.

The shoulder harness angle is the bigger problem. I doubt I'll get flagged for it at this first track day, as it's just the "track night in america" thing, which is pretty lax. If it's a street legal car, it should pass no problem. In the future though, I'm going to have to weld in a harness bar. It's a shame the stock one is so low on the goblin.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Let us know how the printed parts work out, some of us who are lacking 3D printer capability may want to hit you or someone else up for a set. :D BTW, since you are printing your own, I would definitely make the flange on the top piece extra wide to cover as many 'mistakes' in seat hole cutting as possible. ;)

I just did a harness bar - bolt in - in my build log as an idea for those who don't want to weld their powder coated frames.

TravMac

If you look at a lot of different street cars with harnesses, not many are perfect for the occupant either on the shoulder straps. The hard part is on the goblin, with so many different folks using different seating options, a harness bar could fall in a bunch of places. It's really a measure, fit, and build scenario with yourself in the car (especially since the optimal -10 degrees is very little movement being so close to where the belt would be mounted).

Whidbey Goblin

I did my second track day this year at Portland International Raceway, Thursday. I got black flagged on the first lap for not having arm restraints. I was fine at Oregon Raceway Park earlier this year. Something to keep in mind, arm restraints or window nets are a good idea in a Goblin.

Chubbs

I did my second track day this year at Portland International Raceway, Thursday. I got black flagged on the first lap for not having arm restraints. I was fine at Oregon Raceway Park earlier this year. Something to keep in mind, arm restraints or window nets are a good idea in a Goblin.

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about. Were the arm restraints even in the rules? Did they have some available for you to rent to finish the day? Give you your money back and send you home? Or just take your money and send you home anyway?

I'm worried about rules that aren't written down anywhere. Things like the angle of installation for an anti-submarine belt, or that I need an SFI rated fire suit, or even something as simple as having a windscreen on the car without having any wipers. None of these things are written in any rules for the track I'm heading to. But if some corner worker decides to enforce them, there isn't much I can do about it.

I've been to the track a whole bunch of times, and have never had a problem. But I've also never brought a car that I built myself in my garage.

Whidbey Goblin

That's exactly the kind of thing I'm worried about. Were the arm restraints even in the rules? Did they have some available for you to rent to finish the day? Give you your money back and send you home? Or just take your money and send you home anyway?

I'm worried about rules that aren't written down anywhere. Things like the angle of installation for an anti-submarine belt, or that I need an SFI rated fire suit, or even something as simple as having a windscreen on the car without having any wipers. None of these things are written in any rules for the track I'm heading to. But if some corner worker decides to enforce them, there isn't much I can do about it.

I've been to the track a whole bunch of times, and have never had a problem. But I've also never brought a car that I built myself in my garage.
I suggest going with the group “hooked on driving “ get arm restraints or window nets, A Hans device and a current helmet. They do not require fire suits. They offered to refund me but I was able to find arm restraints and complete my track day. Hooked on driving allows you to do your own car inspection prior to track day.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
I'm not sure why I never found that link. Thanks for posting, that's exactly what I needed.

Looks like I'm cutting a hole in the seat. I already have some "inserts" like those Corbeaus, printing on the 3d printer right now. Hopefully I can make a hole in the seat look professional. Once I know they work, I'll post the print files for others. $40 each for some plastic pieces seems like highway robbery.

The shoulder harness angle is the bigger problem. I doubt I'll get flagged for it at this first track day, as it's just the "track night in america" thing, which is pretty lax. If it's a street legal car, it should pass no problem. In the future though, I'm going to have to weld in a harness bar. It's a shame the stock one is so low on the goblin.
@Chubbs, how did the 3D printed submarine belt pockets turn out? Post a photo or two, please. :D

BTW, I have some $$ burning a hole in my pocket to have someone print up a pair of these for me, less than the $40 Corbeau parts currently available.

Chubbs

I haven't actually put mine in yet. The track day I was gearing up for was cancelled, probably due to the heat.

Here's the model for what I printed, and a couple of demo pics. I'll be glad to print more off, just let me make sure they actually work first. I made them just barely big enough that my camlock buckle will fit through. Hopefully they are tall enough to fit through the seat.

Attachments

Chubbs

@Chubbs, did your 3d printed version work?
Sorry I'm late, work is nuts.

Yes, but I revised them again. Attached are the updated files. I beefed them up a bit by making the walls thicker, and extended them because my seats were so thick, the previous ones wouldn't meet in the middle. I have been using them for a couple months now with no issues. Mine are printed in PETG, which seems to work well. They need to be slightly flexible and tough since you will inevitably sit on them at some point, and you don't want them to crack.

Attachments