Any Austin, TX owners that visit the Driveway track?

ARabidNull

I took Driveway Austin's Foundations of Road Racing in June and I've been struck by the racing bug. I drive a BRZ but I'm falling in love with the Goblin even though I've never seen one in person. If you plan on hitting the Driveway track in the near future please let me know. I can't keep up with you but I really want to see a Goblin in person.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Justin (JSATX) lives near there and has been on the track with his Goblin.
My son and I both also did the class. Since then, I have finished my Goblin. We have intentions of getting back over there when the weather cools.

ARabidNull

If you don't mind, let me know when you do. I'd like to at least get an in-person look at a Goblin before going all-in on this project. I keep on finding myself on websites looking for donor cars but I'd like to have more knowledge before I drop the cash.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
You get to Houston ever? I live on the NW side just off of 290.
I would love to let you crawl around it and ride to your heart's content.

ARabidNull

That's very generous of you, JBINTX. I don't normally head up that way but I'd love to take you up on that offer.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Justin (JSATX) lives near there and has been on the track with his Goblin.
My son and I both also did the class. Since then, I have finished my Goblin. We have intentions of getting back over there when the weather cools.
Ya. Needs to cool down a bit, then we can go. There’s a motorcycle track day at COTA in a couple of weeks. I really want to go, but I’m tired of the heat. :(

ARabidNull

Ya. Needs to cool down a bit, then we can go. There’s a motorcycle track day at COTA in a couple of weeks. I really want to go, but I’m tired of the heat. :(
Yeah, I hear you. I went to the track a few weeks ago for morning L1 practice and came off the track dripping with sweat. Please keep me in mind the next time you go, though.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Other than the goblin, what are you driving or riding on the track? Don’t know what a brz is.

ARabidNull

2017 Subaru BRZ is my daily driver. I started modifying it for the track but to get it where I want to is almost as much as a Goblin build.

I was originally thinking of building a Factory 5 kit but after learning about the Goblin I’ve been smitten. I’ve dreamed of owning an Ariel Atom forever and now it’s possible to build something similar for myself. If it’s half as fun as it looks I’m hoping to get my donor by the end of the year and build it before it gets too hot again next year.

Rttoys

Goblin Guru
Cool. Sounds like simple math.

BRZ- 200hp/2800#
Supercharged goblin- 200hp/1600#
turbocharged 250hp
A few mods bring those power numbers up, but being so light, the affects are much greater than any “normal” car. And cobalt parts are way cheaper than subi parts. But I don’t have to talk you into it. :D

Don’t forget, most of the tracks around here are short, so light and nimble will stomp big and heavy all day long.

I track/race motorcycles. It’s nice having street bikes and dedicated track bikes. You never want to crash, but messing up a track vehicle is better than your everyday ride that has to get you to work on Monday.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
And with the right tune, the stock turbo makes 300 hp / 325 ft-lbs at the wheels.

Again Rabid, you got a standing invite to come over for lunch and taste those ponies......... :)

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
2017 Subaru BRZ is my daily driver. I started modifying it for the track but to get it where I want to is almost as much as a Goblin build.

I was originally thinking of building a Factory 5 kit but after learning about the Goblin I’ve been smitten. I’ve dreamed of owning an Ariel Atom forever and now it’s possible to build something similar for myself. If it’s half as fun as it looks I’m hoping to get my donor by the end of the year and build it before it gets too hot again next year.
Rabid, you would have too spend more than cost of a Goblin kit on the BRZ to even come close on acceleration, but way more to make it stop and turn like a Goblin. You need to take a ride and your thoughts of spending a ton of money on a Subaru will be quickly changed. :)

ARabidNull

Rabid, you would have too spend more than cost of a Goblin kit on the BRZ to even come close on acceleration, but way more to make it stop and turn like a Goblin. You need to take a ride and your thoughts of spending a ton of money on a Subaru will be quickly changed. :)
Both you and Rttoys are preaching to the choir. I priced out what I'd like to do with my BRZ (full exhaust package, better brakes, supercharger) and then found out about the Goblin. Easily $5k less and a lot more fun. I just need to see one in the flesh before I drop that kind of cash.

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Not sure that the package you're indicating would get you to a sub-3.5 second 0 to 60 time, sub-100 feet 60 to 0 distance, and better than 1.2Gs turning for the price of a good TC donor and a Goblin kit - stock. This is bordering on supercar territory with 260HP and gets into it with the proper parts and tuning. You would have to add another zero to this figure to get a BRZ to this level of performance. You really need to ride in one and there will be no doubt in your mind.

JBINTX

Goblin Guru
Save the stock BRZ for the daily driver and get the Goblin for the real thrills...... ;)

Since Russel also offered, I could meet you there. That is even closer to you now. Waller, TX. And you would get to see turbo and Supercharged Goblin examples.

Actually we all just look for an excuse to strap on the Goblin and go vroom....

Last edited:

ARabidNull

My weekends for the rest of the month are wide open. I can't pass up an opportunity to see two Goblins. Just name the location and I'll be there.