Any big guys out there?

Tim Moland

First post, so here is a little background. I fell in love with the goblin a couple years ago while looking for a "cheap" version of an ariel atom. When the situation arose to get another vehicle, I bought a cobalt to use as a daily driver, with hopes of using it as a donor for this project. I bought a 2010 SS with a trifecta tune in it. It suppossedly makes 300hp now(im guessing at the crank). No way to verify without a dyno, but it does build 22lbs of boost. Its pretty wild and a ton of fun to drive, except for the horrible torque stear!! So last fall, the wife and I road tripped to Texas to see the goblin in person. Wow, these things are small, but awesome! Lonny and Adam showed us around and answered any questions I had. Then I attempted to sit in one. Two problems. One, they only had a regular length version at the shop to sit in. Two. I am 6'3", 300-ish. It was kinda comical. My wife and I compared it to Chet from the movie "The great outdoors" when he was sitting in "Suck my wake". I wanted a track frame. Tried to get into a track frame. Laughable. So I was attempting to get into a city frame. My feet were under the pedals and my knees were hitting the dash! I know an extended frame will help this a little, but I didn't fit in the seat either. I am too wide to get down in between the side bolsters of the seat they recommend. So I researched seats for days. The problem I found is that the goblin is so narrow, that with the seats they recommend, the shoulder "wings" of the driver and passenger seats touch each other in the center of the car. So I cannot get a wider seat in that style. Kirkey makes a big boy racing seat that is 22" wide, if memory serves. But, I am not sure if it will fit and how comfortable an all aluminum seat would be. I have seen Dan Perry's bench seat that he made, which might solve the problem, but I think it takes away from the sporty look of the goblin. So, I gave up on the idea and moved on with my life. Only problem is, I really want a goblin. I THINK ABOUT THEM ALL THE TIME. How cool would it be to build your own car. If I were to buy one, I would get an extended city frame with lower entry bars. So, to the question. Are there any big guys out there that own a goblin, and if so, how well do you fit and what seat are you using?

Tim Moland

I have thought about that. From what I gather, the stock starts are like 4" taller then aftermarket seats, which I'm worried my head would be above the rollover hoop. Plus they weigh like twice as much, but beggers can't be choosers.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
I'm 6' 2" and ~250lbs and I got an extended track frame. I have a donor seat in it right now so I could try it out.

0BCA54ED-51F8-479A-822A-E7C3F4E11055.jpeg

Tim Moland

Well that doesn't look bad. Could you possibly get a measurement from the top of the headrest in the full down position to the top of the rollover bar so I can measure were my head is on my stock seat? Do you have the stearing column installed yet? I would like to see where the steering wheel sits with my bigger belly.

jamesm

Goblin Guru
It looks like there's about 6 1/2" from the top of the seat to the top of the bar. I will mention that the seat I have in there isn't bolted down or anything although it's kinda sorta in the right place. I'm planning on running the Corbeau seats like what's in Lonny's car and I think they sit a little lower. Corbeau does make a wide seat that I think fits in the Goblin too.

xMCiMtZGRpm%kYWe6vvbLg.jpg

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
I'm 6'5" 205 lbs with a 34" waist. The standard Corbeau FX1 Pros eats are right on the line of being too narrow. I think the wide ones are good for something like a 38-40" waist.

Tim Moland

Thanks for the measurement. This is what I look like in a regular length city frame. Does anyone think 4" longer, 2" taller will allow me to fit? I just don't think the stearing wheel will fit. Nevermind the shifter under my knee!!
Resized_20171120_111808.jpg

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
I have the extended frame and the wider Corbeau seats. I'm 6' and have a 38" waist and this combo works great for me. We have sliders on the seats to move them forward and back. I don't use the extra 4" right now. I did have a really tall guy try it out with the seats moved back and it worked well for him.

Tim Moland

Do you have the FX1 wide seats? Looking at the FX1 Pro seats, they are 23" wide at the shoulder, and pictures show them actually touching in the center of the goblin at the shoulder. According to corbeau's website, the shoulder area of the FX1 Wide seats are 24.5" wide. How do they fit in the center? Any pictures from the front showing the seats? If you do have wide seats, what is the inside dimension of the hip area? Corbeau just gives you the outside dimension. I want to know if my butt will fit in them.

Silverback

You might consider getting a wide driver's seat with shoulder wings and a similar passenger seat without wings. It shouldn't be too hard to custom fab some wide-body seat supports, but you have just about 21" width without overlapping the center tunnel. I've got a pair of Kirkey 16" wide 47500's (replaced by the 65 series) and the wings just touch, but they probably could have been bent slightly to clear if I installed a 17" wide pair. 'Even thought about doing a 16" and 17" for some sizing flexibility. BTW, I'm a non-athletic build 6'3 215# 36" waist and the 16" seats are very snug with the seat covers installed, they're almost like a suction cup :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre

Tinkles

The Corbeau FX1 Pro wides will not fit. You only have 20" of room to mount a seat and they are 24". The only solution I have found for decent seat for us bigger guys are Kirkeys. A 18.5" type 55 Kirkey fits me just as well as the Corbeaus and it fits in the frame with alittle room to spare. I want to say that a 20" Kirkey could fit too, but it could be tricky mounting it.

theeulogy

Here is my 6 foot 2 inch tall brother in mine, the seat is in the middle setting also. Height wise you will be fine with the long, I have a 36 inch inseam and this will be my driving position. You will need to figure out something on the seats though.
20180914_151732.jpg