Anyone know a dyno tuner in NYs?

Oldchevyguy

Hi guys! Been driving my LSJ Goblin for over 400 miles now, and it's a blast! I had a partial dyno tune in florida, but the CV shaft pulled out during a pull, so it was never completed. It's still not tuned 100%. Backfires on deceleration sometimes. I was going to bring it back to Ocala this fall to finish the tune but plans have changed. Driving in central Florida Involves a lot of high speed interstate driving. 80 mph with lots of giant cars and trucks around you is frankly scary, especially for my girlfriend. So, for the time being, it's going to stay in NY. So I need to find a guy who can tune it. Also, it has a MIL, or check engine light. Its pissed off about the removal of the AC, and the evap system. These things can be programmed out, right? We are in northern NY, but can trailer it as far as necessary. Thanks

Ross

Goblin Guru
I was able to turn off the MIL stuff for my LSJ using HP Tuners. Now when the check engine light comes on, it is something new, so I better check what needs work.

ctuinstra

Goblin Guru
The problem is with the MIL on, you don’t know if it’s just the EVAP or something more serious without reading the codes. As Ross mentioned, you can disable just about any MIL code that is no longer applicable. So now ours only comes on only if there is an actual problem. Pretty nice.

My experience with Tuners is they only tune for max HP and not everything else. I wasted $500 on our tune. Most of it has been changed or put back. And I ended up learning and doing the rest myself. Not saying the guy was an idiot, he was just going to tune the WOT and get the best number. that was it. But to tune the rest takes a heck of a long time. But it’s worth it.

By changing the intake and modifying parts (injectors, pulleys, etc) the stock tune is way off. And I’m not a firm believer in the ZZP canned tunes, although that may not make others happy. I get it, not everyone has the time or energy to tune themselves and it’s easier to get ZZP to do it. Not saying you shouldn’t, but it will never be as good as it could be spending the time to do it right. I just ranted or something. Oppps.

Oldchevyguy

Just reading about ZZP remote tuning. Sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this? I like the idea of recording data after an initial tune, and sending it to them for more fine tuning. ctuinstra brings up an interesting point the most tuners are only interested in full pull results. I want a car that drives right in all conditions, not just racing.

Karter2026

Goblin Guru
Just reading about ZZP remote tuning. Sounds interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this? I like the idea of recording data after an initial tune, and sending it to them for more fine tuning. ctuinstra brings up an interesting point the most tuners are only interested in full pull results. I want a car that drives right in all conditions, not just racing.
I just recently did the ZZP thing. I am not to happy. Car surges at idle, Flat spot in mid range. 5 revisions and the tuner said it looks like it is running good. even while I gave a detailed description with every log of what I felt and observed.

My opinion ZZP wants to do a one and done tune. Each revision costs them money.

Oldchevyguy

I just recently did the ZZP thing. I am not to happy. Car surges at idle, Flat spot in mid range. 5 revisions and the tuner said it looks like it is running good. even while I gave a detailed description with every log of what I felt and observed.

My opinion ZZP wants to do a one and done tune. Each revision costs them money.
So, if you had to do it again, what would you do?

Ross

Goblin Guru
Take me up on my offer, spend $600, and we will both learn to be better tuners.
We both have LSJ engines, so I should have all the HP Tuner files you need to set your engine up for test runs.
Then apply the changes learned from the test run.
Repeat until the engine runs right.

Oldchevyguy

I'm not far from Syracuse. Would this guy be in Fulton NY by chance? I have been in contact with them. Fulton is near Syracuse.

benjy

Take me up on my offer, spend $600, and we will both learn to be better tuners.
We both have LSJ engines, so I should have all the HP Tuner files you need to set your engine up for test runs.
Then apply the changes learned from the test run.
Repeat until the engine runs right.
That’s my plan, hope you know what you are getting yourself into ;) I should be ready to start tuning in a few weeks. I’m an LNF so no file sharing, but I’ll have plenty of questions! I’ve watched a few goat rope garages, excited to dive in.

Is there a dedicated thread to DIY tuning yet?

Ross

Goblin Guru
That’s my plan, hope you know what you are getting yourself into ;) I should be ready to start tuning in a few weeks. I’m an LNF so no file sharing, but I’ll have plenty of questions! I’ve watched a few goat rope garages, excited to dive in.

Is there a dedicated thread to DIY tuning yet?
There is now.

Ask away!

Justin843

I'm not far from Syracuse. Would this guy be in Fulton NY by chance? I have been in contact with them. Fulton is near Syracuse.
I am in the Syracuse area as well. There is a well known local dyne tuner they specialize in GM's in the Fulton / Phoenix area ( Jim Ford's).