Anyone with knowledge on the B5 transaxle from VW/Audi?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Does anyone have knowledge and links to VW/ Audi(no AWD versions needed) Ft wheel drive/2wd B5 transaxles, OEM applications?, possible donors?, Strongest/weakest?, Prettiest/ugliest?, Momma never loved 'em Orphans needing new homes? Also, half shafts to connect to Cobalt knuckles? Bring the Science Boys! Thanks in advance! OR Any other Transaxle that might be similar to the B5 and is readily available and won't cost +$1000. Would need to be strong enough to back up a GM 3800 S/C motor. Ideas on a similar design style automatic?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
shhh! everyone could hear you! yes, that's the one. not just everybody is invited to this party. what I am contemplating is likely heresy in these parts. i'm already on many watch lists for just mentioning daring to leave a cobalt body around the engine. but i gotta be me!

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
Hmm, not a lot of info out there. This may be your best source to ask questions.

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
(sotto voche: )and just to be clear, this would be a N/S config based on centering the trans outputs on the hubs in the rear suspension knuckles. but here is where the self appointed Goblin Morality Enforcement Squad will likely get their fire suits in a bunch, it would be in my #2(second unit) iteration of the mid engine cobalt. shhh! i am only 4 states and 45 days from my garage and my torch wielding sawzall crazed accomplice is showing signs of losing his restraint as he has begun pulling apart a second 4 door, stripped the back seats out of 2 coupes and gotten both coupe bodies rolling; he also has sold off an unneeded 2.2 09'DI engine and trans. he is so eager he has obtained a fourth car for parts. "it'll be lovely workin' wit proper criminals again."

Last edited:

Desert Sasqwatch

Goblin Guru
You realize this little project will need a name - how about Gobalt, since it's kinda, sorta distantly related to a Goblin, but is still a Cobalt in appearance?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Cool name! Somewhat taken with Gobalt but I think it’s gotta be fast first! Having spent some time in Europe I saw some American bodies alternate or diesel powered there. (Plymouth Horizon as a Talbot!??) GTM Diesel powered Cherokees and Chrysler Sebrings. Also the sq body S10/Tahoe continued on through about 2014 built in St Petersburg, Russia. I’m planning to claim this a creation of Isuzu built and sold in Eastern Europe(complete fiction). Remove the bow tie from the grill and an Isuzu emblem fits nicely. The Isuzu, Amanda.(A. Hennessy, race car driver friend of mine! She raced HHR’s and One Lap America) Cobalts were sold in Japan, not many. More history available if one is curious. I. E. 2 iterations of the Nova were built in Argentina in the 60’s thru 80’s. Maybe for the tag? GO-BALT?

ah.b.normal

Goblin Guru
Hey DS! As I noted elsewhere, A Tag I like is GOB-BALT, looks like a Cobalt, steers like a Goblin! Any other info on the VW/Audi/Porsche B5 transaxle? "Anyone?...Anyone?...Buhler?"