Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
I know right?... it's 100x cleaner than donor #1. It's from a Virginia wreck, so maybe that's far enough south to make a difference.

Goblin Guru
Another question:

Tonight, I was stripping down the dash. As you all know, there comes a part where you have to disconnect the steering wheel from the column, either with blunt force or a steering wheel puller. I chose the correct option: BLUNT FORCE! But, in my hammering, I must have knocked against the ignition once, because the plastic cracked a tiny little bit right around the key insert. It exposed some coils of extremely fine red wire, and one or two strands of it popped out and were torn. I wish I would have gotten a picture, but I patched it up with some electrical tape before I thought of it.

Will this present a problem with the key ignition?

Ross

Goblin Guru
That sucks. I wonder why the key would have a coil winding. Sounds like one of those NFC devices. It has a smart key? My 2006 has an old key without any electronics.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
It's hard to tell, but it looks like there is a + sign on the key up towards the top which indicates it has a "chip" in it for the antitheft system.

The ripped wires are more than likely some sort of coil or inductor. Inductors require continuity that electrical tape can't provide to work. You might be able to solder them back together, but that creates other challenges.

You may have to get a new ignition switch which will require a new key which will require a key learn process. There are instructions here on how to do that.

Briann1177

Goblin Guru

Goblin Guru
Perfect. Thank you!

*edit* Just bought an ignition and key from eBay.

Last edited:

Goblin Guru
Since I ordered a new ignition and key anyway, I figured I'd just undo my tape job and show y'all what happened.

20190918_001654.jpg

Ross

Goblin Guru
Yikes! I can see the + on your key now. I noticed my key has this + too. I thought it was a dumb key... guess not!

Briann1177

Goblin Guru
Now that I see the picture with the tape off, I may have led you astray. You'll need to order the actual anti-theft module and not the actual ignition switch. The switch won't come with the module. The nice thing about GM parts, is they usually stamp/sticker the part number right on it. GM 25807440.

Goblin Guru
Now that I see the picture with the tape off, I may have led you astray. You'll need to order the actual anti-theft module and not the actual ignition switch. The switch won't come with the module. The nice thing about GM parts, is they usually stamp/sticker the part number right on it. GM 25807440.
This is what I picked up. As long as it comes as pictured, I think I'll be alright. Think I could just take the anti-theft module from the new one, replace the cracked one with it, and not have to relearn the key?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/223669559989

Goblin Guru
So I was continuing my teardown tonight, hoping to get it finished before this weekend is over. Since I've already completed a teardown of a 2007 SS/SC, I've got a lot of doubling up of parts going on. I've been comparing parts side by side and for the most part, they're the same, but I came upon an interesting difference tonight that I wanted to share.

In the images, only the clutch pedal is shown, but the gas/brake pedal box have the same differences. The 2008 SC/TC clutch pedal is on the left, while the 2007 SS/SC clutch pedal is on the right. The sensors were redesigned with what seems to be a better design between those model years. The 2007 pedal has two clutch position sensors with a push-button design while the 2008 pedal has only a single sensor that rotates with the position of the pedal. I don't like that the rotating sensor arm is made of plastic, seems like a weakness in the design, but what do I know. Also, the spring is a different design; the 07 pedal feels linear and pushes toward the out position no matter where the pedal is at, while the 08 pedal has basically two positions, in or out, and snaps to them in the absence of clutch master cylinder pressure. Interesting stuff.

This all means the dash harness has some differences, which scares me a little bit because I was intending to use the headlight harness from the 07 SS/SC in its entirety (the 08 harness was mangled in the accident).

20190918_203644.jpg

20190918_203659.jpg

Last edited: