Ark's City Goblin #187 (2008 SS/TC donor)

Mayor West

Goblin Guru
There's nothing they can do to stop you from driving your car if its legal, as long as you don't openly break the law and show off how badass your **** is.

Ark :D

Goblin Guru
Don't worry, it'll get there organically, I think. I still have a couple questions to ask and a few more features to add, and registration to tackle.

Page 100, here we come!!!!

Goblin Guru
FOR EXAMPLE!

I spent today installing my cluster lighting. I ordered two pairs of LED's (one pair is a harsh white, the other pair is red) and a dimmer. Initially I installed the harsh white ones, but then swapped over to the red ones and I think I'm going to stay with those. I like how the cockpit looks at night and I think the dimmer was a very good investment, too.

20200927_200719.jpg

20200927_200704.jpg

I even got hailed down by a bunch of friendly neighbors who were sitting around a fire pit, watching Dallas lose to Seattle. /cheer!

20200927_195929.jpg

A few more night shots...

20200927_200629.jpg 20200927_200642.jpg

Goblin Guru
A couple misc. questions, for those people that are better at this stuff than I am!

1) I am still not convinced my coolant is circulating. I ran the car a little bit over the weekend, and allowed it to idle for a while until it was up to running temp. It seemed to level off around 190-192 degrees and my rad fan never kicked on. That seems normal to me. But I felt around the coolant loop in different places, and in some places, the hoses were warm to the touch, but in other places, they were cool. I suppose I should just shut up and stop worrying about it.

2) Car has a tendency to buck in the lower gears if I am not careful. As I understand it, this can be mitigated by either doing a tune, or by adding a lightweight flywheel, or both. Does that sound accurate?

3) Speaking of flywheels, if I end up putting a new flywheel in, I'll be doing the clutch at the same time. The current clutch grabs and feels solid, but I haven't gone over 30 mph yet and haven't done more than a small handful of launches. I presume I'd need to drop the engine out to install a new clutch. Has anyone done this with the engine still mounted on the non-trans side, at least?

I think that's it for now. My horn only works intermittently. Looks like I'll need to tear into the harness again at some point, when I rebuild my energy for it.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
A couple misc. questions, for those people that are better at this stuff than I am!

1) I am still not convinced my coolant is circulating. I ran the car a little bit over the weekend, and allowed it to idle for a while until it was up to running temp. It seemed to level off around 190-192 degrees and my rad fan never kicked on. That seems normal to me. But I felt around the coolant loop in different places, and in some places, the hoses were warm to the touch, but in other places, they were cool. I suppose I should just shut up and stop worrying about it.

2) Car has a tendency to buck in the lower gears if I am not careful. As I understand it, this can be mitigated by either doing a tune, or by adding a lightweight flywheel, or both. Does that sound accurate?

3) Speaking of flywheels, if I end up putting a new flywheel in, I'll be doing the clutch at the same time. The current clutch grabs and feels solid, but I haven't gone over 30 mph yet and haven't done more than a small handful of launches. I presume I'd need to drop the engine out to install a new clutch. Has anyone done this with the engine still mounted on the non-trans side, at least?

I think that's it for now. My horn only works intermittently. Looks like I'll need to tear into the harness again at some point, when I rebuild my energy for it.
1. Right hand side coolant should be hotter than the left. Even if the fan is not running, the coolant is being cooled as it goes through the radiator. I don't believe your fan is supposed to come on until the motor reaches 200 deg. My coolant is usually 20 degrees cooler on the right side with no fan. You can feel it to the touch.

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
1. Right hand side coolant should be hotter than the left. Even if the fan is not running, the coolant is being cooled as it goes through the radiator. I don't believe your fan is supposed to come on until the motor reaches 200 deg. My coolant is usually 20 degrees cooler on the right side with no fan. You can feel it to the touch.
Did you bleed the air from your radiator when you filled it?

Goblin Guru
Did you bleed the air from your radiator when you filled it?
As best I could, yes. I'm not sure how effective it was. I've had to add coolant to the loop several times already, which is part of what's making me lean toward "shut up about it already".

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
You would have had to pull the top hose on the radiator off as you were filling the system, and when the radiator was full and coolant was starting to run out, replace the hose and finish filling the system. Some people swear by using a vacuum, but a vacuum will not pull air down hill. It will make it a smaller bubble, but it won't remove it. If you didn't do that process, the air will eventually work its way to the overflow tank after some high rpm driving.

Goblin Guru
Yep, that's what I did. I'll just let it be for now until I have reason to be concerned. (Maybe I'll add a way to check flow!!)

Torchandregdoc

Goblin Guru
Yep, that's what I did. I'll just let it be for now until I have reason to be concerned. (Maybe I'll add a way to check flow!!)
Ark, there are certainly more knowledgeable people on here than myself, but I wouldn't worry about it, and I'm a worrier. If you have coolant at the temp sending unit and it's not showing over 210, it has enough coolant to have something in the radiator and it has to be flowing.